Home U.S. Coin Forum

Are you astute enough for this coin?

ms70ms70 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

Comments

• StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a high quality Carson City PCGS AU-50 $20 Liberty to me, being offered at a reasonable price -- with an SPL/PL reverse...

It's the kind of coin that I'd like to see in person before purchasing... A very interesting coin!

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    I'm not astute enough. I don't know anything about these - but it looks nice.
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Because he started the auction at a low price the buyer will be astute. What's not to understand about that?
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like a nice, original Carson City $20. It is a very good deal for the price. I think I am astute enough. image
  • bozboz Posts: 1,405
    What's the point here?
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    "PCGS certified the coin as an AU50, had the coin not been slightly dirty a high AU grade would be very reasonable."

That's funny.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
    PCGS certified the coin as an AU50, had the coin not been slightly dirty a high AU grade would be very reasonable.

Translation: Dip it and send to NGC and it's a 55. image
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS certified the coin as an AU50, had the coin not been slightly dirty a high AU grade would be very reasonable.

Translation: Dip it and send to NGC and it's a 55. image >>

Is this thread about to merge with Stewart's thread about auction houses re-submitting undergraded coins? The auction houses may as well dip them if they are going to go to the trouble of resubmitting them, right? image

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grading this coin from the photoes is difficult because the picture has been taken from an off-angle. From what I can see, the luster looks like it's shot. There may not be an upgrade here, unless you are sending it to ACG and NTC. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • I smell a snipe coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!image
    Gary
    I prefer a coin like this which is clearly original to the more typical dipped out circulated CC $20's.
    Yep, I'd say +$663 within the last 4 seconds (from $1201 to 1864) could be considered as a snipe image

I didn't bid, but I watched with interest...

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

I'd like to find a really premium AU CC $20 Lib with PL surfaces, very few bagmarks, and high mint luster -- it's fun to look for and as rare as hen's teeth! image

Stuart

<< <i>I prefer a coin like this which is clearly original to the more typical dipped out circulated CC $20's. >>

I agree with you about the original comment. A lot of "lustrous" gold coins that are offered today were dull and were then "enhanced." What I met by the post was, why you post of picture of the coin at an off angle that makes it look like an oval? I think that the seller might be trying to cover up for the fact that the coin has lots of bag marks or has poor luster.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • I'm not sticking up for this coin I don't have an opinion. I have to take pictures at angles to keep the light glare off the center of the coin.
    I didn't know that you were offering the coin, agentjim. I can't really tell if it is good, bad or indifferent. It's just that I don't care for that angel for the picture.

Have you tried a movable light source at various angles? That usually works for me. The coins that give me the most trouble are pieces that have blast white mint luster. It is hard not to get one part of the coin dark and another part overexposed. I usually find circulated gold coins like this piece easy to photograph both with a digital camera and a 35mm.

I'll admit that PCGS coins are harded to photo because of the convex slab face, but I still find that moving the light source around usually fixes the problem.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file