Home U.S. Coin Forum

Indian peace treaty coin???

I don't know why, but something about the engraving on the back of this coin doesn't look right?
Is it the font/style, or something else? That the engraving is too sharp and unworn?

I'm trying to figure out why my gut tells me this is fake and a fanciful tale.

Experts....is there even such a thing as a peace treaty coin like this?

linky to auction
"A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs

Comments

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks all wrong to me too. Even if it were authentic it would be much too
    easy to fake and this applies to anything which is engraved after minting.

I do not recognize the underlying medal but I'm not very familiar with the
    old ones like this. If it's real and the "story" is true then this may have some
    value even if it were known to be of recent manufacture. This is one best
    left to the experts.
    Tempus fugit.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have the reference books for French coins from the 1700s, but this looks like a French Franc that has been planed and re-engraved like a love token. This item looks like it could be no older than the mid 19th century, and it could have been made for some sort of fraternal organization.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file