Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

OK, what's the difference between Specimen and Proof Canadian coins?

In this thread, Canadian "proof" dollar, someone rightly pointed out that the coin was a specimen rather than a proof.

What's the difference? I had thought it was the same thing, just different names.

So the Canadians have given us

business strikes

prooflike strikes

specimen strikes

proof strikes

Yikes! Am I forgetting anything?

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Specimens are similar to proofs (special planchets, polished dies, double struck), but proofs are struck with greater pressure and have frosted devices. The RCM didn't have the machinery necessary to strike proofs until 1973, when they began production of Olympic coins for 1976. The first proofs sets came out in 1981.

The difference between prooflikes, specimens, and proofs is not well known south of the border, and that is only reason why there are so many PL and specimen sets on eBay listed as "proof sets." ACG even slabbed a Centennial silver medal as a "proof dollar." image
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    The best way to identify the four main types are to look at the packaging image

Some chronology ...
    Business Strikes: 1858 to date

High Quality Specimens: 1858 to 1953, and 1964 and 1965
    - usually in a clamshell type case
    - easy to differentiate from Business Strikes (and later year Prooflikes) by the strike

Prooflikes: 1953 to date, some argue 1949 to date for dollars
    - early years in cardboard holders covered with cellophane, later years in pliofilm
    - somewhat easy to differentiate from Business Strikes by the strike, except in bad years (some mid-late 1960's years)

Modern Specimens: 1970 to date
    - book-like holders
    - somewhat easy to differentiate from Business Strikes by the strike, hard to differentiate from Prooflikes

Proofs: 1981 to date
    - book-like holders
    - easy to differentiate from the others by a high quality strike / frosted devices

Someday, I'll put together a more complete listing, with maybe some photos.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Paul! It seems way too complicated for the likes of a simple man such as myself.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Furthermore, the high quality specimens were struck with mirror fields/frosted devices between 1858-1901, matte between 1908-1936, both mirror and matte 1937-1939 and mirror after that. PCGS for some reason calls all the 1965's proofs.

Mint sets (i.e "Proof-like" sets in cardboard) exist from 1951 and 1952, but very few of the coins in these sets were PL. The same could be said about 1953. The Proof-Like coins were early strikes with new dies/just polished dies that were hand selected and put into the sets. The 1949 dollar is sometimes found in PL because they were better preserved since they the first Canadian coins to be distrubuted in rolls (you could have bought them at the post office, I have heard) rather than in mint bags.

After 1977 all poof-like sets actually contain specimen coins rather than hand-selected business strike coins. However, the ones that were produced in Winnipeg instead of Ottawa (where the collector products are produced) are just business strikes.
    Vancouverite

Trying to complete a two of each collection of British India coins.
  • Options
    Vancouverite!!!!! Wow, long time no see. I'm really happy to see you around. I hope all's well, and welcome home!!!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    Thanx for the info!

• Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Furthermore, the high quality specimens were struck with mirror fields/frosted devices between 1858-1901, matte between 1908-1936, both mirror and matte 1937-1939 and mirror after that. PCGS for some reason calls all the 1965's proofs.

Yep, and it's even worse than that. A good example is the George V Specimen 5 Cents, which is Matte for all years except 1924, where the Specimen has a Mirror finish. image
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
  • Options
    ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    Some good information on this thread.

Way to go guys. Thanks.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    Clank, you're one of the resident experts on Canadian coins!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    Exceelent thread.

P.S. Do not drink and look at the first post.image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928

<< <i>Clank, you're one of the resident experts on Canadian coins! >>

Not true, eh.

Still learning--thanks to threads like this. image

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare