Home U.S. Coin Forum

Hey FOM and the other NGC bashers...

MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
I submit coins (moderns) to both services. But for someone who sells on E-Bay and teletrade I have to admit I have been cheating on PCGS. Yep I admit it, I have been sending bulk orders of moderns to NGC. Why? You would think as everyone here says, they won't sell, you can't give the damn things away. I say BULL CRAP! Granted, PCGS coins will bring more on the Bay of Eee, but I can't take the wait. I submit coins to PCGS and the CC gets charged the day they are received, then the three month wait! Nope, can't do it. I can turn the NGC slabs from shipping to selling in less than 6 weeks! Plus if the CC gets up near the limit NGC will send me a bill! I love having my coins in PCGS holders, but PCGS has driven me away with the turnaround time.

Now FOM may say, OK cheapskate, send your coins in at regular level! I say WHY! With moderns the average coin is $50 to $75, there is no way to pony up $30 for grading and the cost of the proof set. $10 is great, I can still make a few bucks on the coins. You can praise David Hall all you want for telling it like it is, but they should be trying to get things FIXED over there! I would really love to start sending coins to Newport Beach, but as long as Economy and Moderns are taking 90 days, it just won't happen.

And yes Lucy, I know

<< <i>More PCGS for you!!! >>

It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

Comments

• RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey FOM and the other NGC bashers... >>

You do realize that FOM is just somebody's troll handle? image

Russ, NCNE
  • FOM is Gereg.

Cameron Kiefer
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I know, but the bashing of the other top tier services is kinda getting to me!!!

Things will change on my end, I'm going to be like Russ and do the submit the one or two great coins to PCGS and not bother with the rest!

<< <i>Things will change on my end, I'm going to be like Russ and do the submit the one or two great coins to PCGS >>

Huh? I submit plenty of crappy junk.

Russ, NCNE
    But your my hero! You never submit junk! Every coin is a winner!!

• << <i>

<< <i>Things will change on my end, I'm going to be like Russ and do the submit the one or two great coins to PCGS >>

Huh? I submit plenty of crappy junk.

Russ, NCNE >>

imageimage No comment!image
  • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭

<< <i>And yes Lucy, I know

<< More PCGS for you!!! >>
    >>

the simple answer from me is that I am not in a position where I depend on coin sales for my livelihood......

I can send what I want, when I want, and how many I want to PCGs and not care how long it takes.
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter

<< <i>But your my hero! You never submit junk! Every coin is a winner!! >>

Yeah, like this one:

Russ, NCNE
  • More MadMarty for me!!!!....imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    But that was the dog to make the others look that much better!!!

• But that was the dog to make the others look that much better!!! .....image

• << <i>

<< <i>And yes Lucy, I know

<< More PCGS for you!!! >>
    >>

the simple answer from me is that I am not in a position where I depend on coin sales for my livelihood......

I can send what I want, when I want, and how many I want to PCGs and not care how long it takes. >>

There ya go hepkitty!image
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    they won't well,

huh

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
    There Bill, fixed!!

• DCAMFranklinDCAMFranklin Posts: 2,862 ✭✭

<< <i>Nope, can't do it. I can turn the NGC slabs from shipping to selling in less than 6 weeks! Plus if the CC gets up near the limit NGC will send me a bill! I love having my coins in PCGS holders, but PCGS has driven me away with the turnaround time. >>

You're simply being a smart businessman. Nothing to have to explain. PCGS chose to extend their grading period and charge a higher submission fee for a larger percentage of the coins you submit and YOU chose to vote with your business and and your dollars. You went across the street. If they care to recapture your business, they know how to do it. To date, they've not cared to do so. And you, wisely, have continued to improve your cash flow and net results. Good for you!

• jeffnpcbjeffnpcb Posts: 1,943
    You are doing the right thing from a business perspective. After some of the recents posts on submissions and grades, it doesn't seem to matter if you send to PCGS several times and get an outrageous grade like Russ.
    If we represent 10% of the submissions to PCGS, with the errors in all gradings recently, it makes you think that all PCGS is Money Grading. Even Lucy mentioned that NGC is tougher on FBL's than PCGS. Not being in the business to rely on income for Lucy to survive, she, like others, realize they can get a higher price for the PCGS label in the future, regardless of the actual coin in the plastic.

Go for it big guy, you are doing what is best for your market share!image
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Hey HRM (I call him Home Run Marty now, based on his last submission results),

I can understand your business decision. I hear you saying that you would prefer to submit to PCGS, but it takes much longer for their decision than it does for NGC to render a decision, yet the grades are very very comparable on average.

Here's the solution for PCGS: use the $500,000 that you saved through "losing" the PNG endorsement and hire a few energetic, talented support staff. People who can cater to the questions and demands of your customers. That's what people really care about; customer service. Screw the worthless "I bless thee" endorsements of powerless organizations. Just hire more people to boost the customer service at PCGS.

www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!

<< <i>FOM is Gereg.

Cameron Kiefer >>

Cammie,

Everybody already knows it's really you.

Russ, NCNE
  • AgflyerAgflyer Posts: 948 ✭✭✭
    I like Lucy's philosophy. If you submit a few coins every other week or so there comes a time, albeit a long time, where the coins eventually return back to you every other week. The first wait is a long one, but the end result is more PCGS for. . . me too. image
    I've had great transactions with people like: drwstr123, CCC2010, AlanLastufka, Type2, Justlooking, zas107, StrikeOutXXX, 10point, 66Tbird, and many more!
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Lucy also likes baseball and an occasional frosty one, I'm going to like her WAY more than I already do!

Smart women are the best.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭
    Heh Heh, I do love Bud, and I do love baseball when the pennet races start winding down and then when the series play begins.....

I don't really have a favorite team, I found myself pulling for the Yankess after that bully Pedro M. pushed down Poor ol Don Zimmer......
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    i don't get it. if $$$ not even an issue, why get coins slabed at all?

K S
  • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Marty,

I submit to both services, and last year, I holdered and sold about $15,000 worth of NGC coins. I really don't have an issue with their product, service, or saleability. Frankly, the only trouble I've had with PCGS is turnaround time. I didn't do as much with PCGS last year because of the wait. When I decide to sell a coin, I usually don't want to wait. I don't submit nearly as many coins as you do, but like Lucy, don't depend on selling coins for my livelyhood. I don't mind putting a nice coin in NGC plastic and leaving alittle room for the next buyer. The holder-centric thinking absolutely amazes me. Most of the coins I did submit to PCGS last year were crack-outs that needed to be in PCGS plastic to maximize their selling price. I bought two PCI MS64 Morgans at the local show (Hickory) and put them in PCGS 65 holders, bought a 38 Washington proof in PCGS 65 that I cracked and resubmitter for a PR66 (was hoping cam), crossed a few SMS coins at grade, and made a few PR69 Dcam Kennedy halves, but overall it was a quiet PCGS year. I did have one coin that didn't cross (a Kennedy), but I sold it for $1400, so whose gonna complain. The people at both services have been very nice to me, and I've enjoyed working with both companies. I think we really need TWO good services. I'll leave it to everyone else to sort out their own preferences.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    i work in industry, & 1 thing i know is that "inventory turns" can be more important then "margin". if you ngc coins on margin are worth 1/2 pcgs, but you can turn 'em 3x as fast (& your income derives from coin sales), you'd be an idiot not to use ngc.

of course i doubt it's a simplistic as the #'s i mentioned, but i think it's the point marty's making.

right marty?

K S
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    "Every coins a winner"

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file