Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Some quick Pics of a 20th Century Type Set

I got a call from my wife today at work. One of her co-workers heard that I collect coins, and she brought in a couple items that her father had purchased and were sitting around.

One of the items was this very cool framed 20th Century Type Set presentation that I have snapped a few quick pics of to show you--the esteemed US Coin forum.

A lot of the coins are circulated--no MS69s here--but even some of the circulated examples have developed neat, colorful toning from being in the cardboard presentation holder all these years. The reverses in particular have developed some nice toning.

There is a price tag on the back--$42.50. I just love seeing stuff like this. Sorry some of the pictures aren't a little more stellar:

imageimageimage
imageimageimage

Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare

Comments

• Options
    ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    Guess everybody is too busy fighting about important coin business stuff to appreciate a simple collection of coins. 'Tis a pity. image
  • Options
    TrooperTrooper Posts: 1,450
    Clank,
    That's actually pretty neat. I have seen these sets before and never noticed the toning that's happening with that one. I'm guessing it was the backboard that did it for the revrse of those coins. Nice!!

Tom
  • Options
    UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭
    Very nice.

A good way to spark someone's interest in coin collecting.

Joe.
  • Options
    VetVet Posts: 1,513
    I like that set ,I have a simalar one all of my coins are raw
    "Freedom of speech is a great thing.Just because you can say anything does not mean you should.
  • Options
    Joe and Tom--

I just like the utter simplicity of it. Coin collecting at a very basic level.

I don't know what this woman plans to do with them. But, I am going to recommend she keep them for sentimental value, if she had that kind of bond with her father.

Obviously they don't represent any cash windfall.

Clankeye
  • Options
    ClausUrchClausUrch Posts: 1,278
    Holy Smokes! A coin thread with actual pictures of really nice coins!!
    I will offer you 52.50 for the set; allowing you a very tidy profit from the original asking price!image
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clank please accept my humble apology for not posting here earlier. The coins are very pretty and much more interesting than all of the harping and bashing that has been read by myself today on both of the major coin boards today.

See Ya Friday to talk coins........image. Merc Coins that is......image

Ken
  • Options
    Thanks, Claus image

That $42.50 I'm sure is probably what he paid for them (the father), don't know what year he bought it.

And I do want to underline--these aren't for sale, I don't own them--I just asked her if I could take some pics.

(And I know you were joking around, Claus but I wanted to add that to the thread anyway. Just so people know.)

Clankeye
  • Options
    Ken--Maybe I'll wear my Mercateers T-Shirt.

It'll say "Clankeye" on it. image I'm an honorary member you know.

Clankeye
  • Options
    I dont know if you should do that, wear the shirt. The way things have been going someone might recognize you as a PCGS Forum member and just come over and bash you for no reason at all. I would stay a little out of sight I think........image

Ken
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's this, a thread about coins from a collection? Sorry dude this ain't popular on this forum. Now ebay shipping, holders and what flavor yes these are important. Thanks for sharing a nice collection for collectors. Don't need to worry about "If they will cross" either. But will they slab at PCGS is another thing.imageimage
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    Don--

It's much more blue than my photo captured.

In fact, all those coins are more colorful than the pics. I need some new lighting techniques around my house. My camera gets gold pretty well, but always lacks on the blues, greens, and reds.

Ken--

You might be right. Maybe I'll try for a very low profile.

Clankeye
  • Options
    That Icon coin will be with me Friday.....It needs a little more showing off....image

Ken
  • Options
    LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    I love that kind of stuff. So cool. I wonder if eventually coin collecting will go back to those simpler, happier days. I wish it would sometimes.
    DSW
  • Options
    Funny thing, I've got it propped up and I'm kind of glancing at it... it's fun to look at.

24 coins all laid out nicely in an interesting old holder.

Now, you know I'm not a slab hater, I own quite a few, but it sure would be harder to arrange the display with 24 slabs.

Yes, the old days... (sigh)

Clankeye
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful pictures of a real "old time" set, someone put that together and just left it for many years.

Reminds me of the set I assembled as a kid

Clank, did you advise the person to pass it to their heirs, or make an offer? image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice! I love that Walker.
    imageimage

• Options
    ttt

here's the old pennies

Clankeye, what else interesting did the person have?

• Options

<< <i>Clank, did you advise the person to pass it to their heirs, or make an offer? >>

Baley, I haven't even talked to her directly yet. I have no idea what she wants to do with it. Truly, I am not looking to buy it.

I Like the set you are holding in that pic (I presume it's you).

If I may be allowed to make one observation from looking at the set I have pictured--I hate to say it, but as much as I love certain toning, it kind of underlines to me some of the ridiculous premiums that people are asked to pay for it. These coins are average coins, that toned very nicely after being exposed to the cardboard holder for a long period (well, a matter of years).

While, I think they look great, in my heart it makes me question the mad dash, and incredible prices being asked for some common toned coins. Toning is great. But there is a reality involved. I do believe you should probably pay a little extra for an eye appealing toned coin... but, it's all relative.

Clankeye
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
    I've got a holder that is very similar to that one. I'm only lacking one coin to make it complete. Looks like you used muck higher quality coins in yours.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    Baley--

The only other items I saw were a 1962 World's Fair souvenir medal, and a 1973 Guatemalan proof set. image

People are odd in their collecting habits, no?

Clankeye
  • Options
    It's funny and cool, the things you run into when people know you're a collector, obviously a person doesn''t broadcast the information, but friends and relatives that know I collect also show me their coins, in fact my postal clerk has lots of proof and mint sets, some type coins, and some franklin mint items, from when he was younger, and is reawakening as a collector by seeing some of the stuff i buy and have to sign for, as well as the coin magazines i get in my PO box, he is starting to want to talk about coins which is uncomfortable when other customers are waiting, anyway he has some decent stuff!

• Options

<< <i>While, I think they look great, in my heart it makes me question the mad dash, and incredible prices being asked for some common toned coins. Toning is great. But there is a reality involved. I do believe you should probably pay a little extra for an eye appealing toned coin... but, it's all relative. >>

Excellent statement. Case in point. Yesterday at the pre ANA Show a dealer had some very nicely toned mercs. MS65 and MS66 stuff that mostly was common date. One was a 36P that was a MS65 coin with no bands. Probably a 20 buck coin with no tone. His asking price was 125 smackers. I almost fell out of the chair. If it would have been one of the local Oregon or Washington dealers I would have shouted out "You are Kidding" Tone is nice but for sure not that nice.

Ken
  • Options
    Clankeye, Thanks for a great coin thread!

Dan
    The glass is half full!
  • Options
    ttt!

here's the slq i bought with my lawn mowing earnings when I was 12

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice type set presentations. It would be kinda cool to have a nicely framed type set on the wall.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are nice coins. Wish I could get lucky & stumble upon something like that at an estate sale.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    Love the SLQ, Baley. How great that you have kept that coin.

I collected as a kid, but I don't have any of the coins anymore. As I moved into my teenage years they were sold for important (wink-wink) teenage things.

I had a tradedollar that I bought from one of my teachers for $40. That's a lot of money to a kid. Sold it back to him a few years later (for more!)... really wish I had that coin.

Clankeye

• Options
    TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file