Home U.S. Coin Forum

1885-CC Morgan Cross-over?

rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on here. Looks like an exciting forum.

Have a look at this 1885-CC Morgan that I have. It's in an ANACS 64 DMPL slab.

1885CCMorganpics

It's an amazing coin with deep mirrors, lots of frost, a little color near the rims, and virtually nothing in the way of bagmarks. The only trouble is that there are 4 or 5 little tiny hairlines right on the cheek- like what would result if someone slid it out of a coin holder carelessly. The hairlines are only visible with a good lamp, and won't photograph. It looks way better than any 64DMPL I've ever seen in any service's slabs, including PCGS, largely because of the bagmark- free surfaces. Now here's the question- if I send it to PCGS, will they cross it, or refuse to grade it because of those couple of hairlines? Have any of you submitted something similar- a stunning gem coin with a couple of hairlines- and got body-bagged?

Comments

• PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    Only one way to find out for sure.
    I would guess you have a about a 50-50 chance that it will get the same grade/designation at pcgs.
  • TrooperTrooper Posts: 1,450
    Rh
    Welcome to the boards. Nice looking coin. I'd say no problem that crossing. To me it looks like a higher end 64 that might go 65

Tom
  • Ron, Not a chance. What a dog. I'll take it off your hands next time I see you.

• TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Not only is the coin nice , your picture taking skills are top notch.
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RHedden: Your 1885-CC is a very pretty coin which, based on the photos, in my opinion is certainly is a shot-65 coin.

Please turn on your private message option, so that I may communicate directly with you for some off-topic discussion. Thanks!

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

TONEDDOLLARS, thanks for the complement on my picture-taking skills. I have to admit it was a collaborative effort with davewang202, who made the nice side-by-side cropped picture out of my raw digital images.

Stuart, I turned on private messages in my profile. Hope it works.
  • Ron, Why are you using a Morgan dollar reverse as your icon? What happen to the "giving up Morgan dollars" thing? Now you're buying DMPL 1885-cc's from the same dealer I buy my stuff from? image

I talked to him at Baltimore, and he said that I saw them and passed them up! I told him no. He said that he remembered showing them to me at FUN. I told him that it would have been hard for him to do that, since I didn't attend FUN. Hard to believe that this coin sat in his case through FUN and no one else bought it.
  • A real STUNNER! I'm drooling! image
    -George
    42/92
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    That's a super coin. I would crack it out and submit it raw. (IMO good shot at PCGS MS65DMPL.)
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Definitely, shot MS65 DMPL
    J.Kriek
    Morgan Dollar Aficionado & Vammer
    Current Set: Morgan Hit List 40 VAM Set
  • BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭

Beautiful coin! Judging by the pics, I can easily see that coin in a 65 holder, however I'd be Very careful with that dmpl designation.

Unless it's undisputably DMPL, I'd hesitate in cracking-out and sending raw--for risk of getting a 65PL in return. PCGS is extremely tough on PL's and DMPL's. I'd recommend sending it as a crossover if you doubt the mirrors.
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a 65 to me... but I'm not sold on it being a DMPL. There appears to be quite a bit of light frost mixed in with the mirrored fields, and that's perhaps the #1 difference in DMPL recognition standards between the two companies.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll warn that 1885-CC dollars come nice, because of the low mintage, many of them are P-L to an extent. I've currently got one in stock that is in an NGC MS-63 holder. I've seen Morgan dollars in MS-65 holders that were not as good. These coins can be graded tough or they can be graded easy. Sometimes it seems like its the luck of the draw.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    Fabulous looking example, but I'm wondering if the reverse strike would keep it from grading MS65 at PCGS. Might just be the image, but it looks a little weak to me.

Russ, NCNE

Everyone seems to think it has the eye appeal of a 65 DMPL, so I definitely think I'll submit it for a cross-over. I won't crack it out, though, because I'd rather have it in the ANACS slab than have it raw. I don't care if PCGS sees it in the 64DMPL holder. The mirrors are deeper than most PCGS DMPL dollars, so I'm not worried about the DMPL designation.
  • Looks 65DMPL to me, very nice coin......image
    JoeCool
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is the 1885-CC dollar in an NGC MS-63 holder to which I referred earlier. This piece should have gone into an MS-64 holder, but it's not worth the money to try for it. Most MS-63 dollars, especially among the CCs, are pretty chopped up.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    But it's in an ANACS holder, therefor according to the PCGS slab collectors here, it's way overgraded and a piece of crap! BTW, very nice looking coin!!!image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file