Home U.S. Coin Forum

Another reason why I love the official PNG grading service

They'll put a nice AU58 label on your XF40 1793 Half Cent and they'll do it F-A-S-T.

Comments

• rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks better than XF 40 to me???
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    Does it look AU58?
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Does not look AU-58 to me!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    That AU58 has to be some sort of "market grade". Far too much wear for a standard AU coin.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    Is this the "new" official grading service, or the "old" official grading service? In any event, I think it's pretty much acknowledged by those who specialize in this stuff that neither PCGS or NGC is really very good at grading this material.

Russ, NCNE
  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    I could see that as an AU-50, not a 58, but better than a 40, unless you go buy the ridiculously strict EAC definitions. In any case, it appears pretty nice and the important thing would be to a pay a price you think is fair, then bust it out of the slab and call it whatever grade most pleases you. These aren't like a MS-65-66-67-68 Morgan dollar arguement; each early copper coin will have its own unique merits and deficiencies no matter what the grade label says.
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking coin. I wouldn't call it AU58 but I'd certainly go along with AU50.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NGC sucks. Thank god all of the NGC coins I had crossed at THE EXACT SAME grade at PCGS!
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    The coin looks super nice, great color, no corrosion. It must have been bumped for those reasons. I could see it being worth AU-58 money.

Tom
    Tom

• lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    Grading of course is supposed to be technical, and technically speaking, no it does not look like an au58. I'd like to see some au50s to get a better idea where this one comes out. Hard to tell if the reverse is unevenly worn, unevenly struck, or unevenly imaged, but there are signs of wear in numerous spots on both sides. A nice coin, but I'd be disappointed if I paid au58 money and this is what showed up in the slab.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone is going to pay au58 money for that coin, so NGC does itself a disservice when they grade like that.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    >Grading of course is supposed to be technical

Grading is market and technical driven.
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    http://cgi.msn.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3904885913&category=528grade this one

You guys are tough...how would you grade this "EF" colonial??
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003

<< <i>http://cgi.msn.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3904885913&category=528grade this one

You guys are tough...how would you grade this "EF" colonial?? >>

I'd grade it about it VF20 for wear, and I'd suggest its worth F12 money at best because its ugly and impaired.

I'd also say that PCGS would probably grade this Nova as a VF25 - VF30, while NGC would call it XF40.

• dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They'll put a nice AU58 label on your XF40 1793 Half Cent and they'll do it F-A-S-T. >>

you know danged well that xf-40 is an eac grade, au58 is a market grade.

<< <i>I'd grade [this nova] about it VF20 for wear, and I'd suggest its worth F12 money at best because its ugly and impaired. I'd also say that PCGS would probably grade this Nova as a VF25 - VF30, while NGC would call it XF40. >>

i'd call it vg-10. your statement merely points out that BOTH PCGS & NGC SUCK at grading colonials.

K S
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭
    Yep good point, I am sure none of us have ever questioned a grade put on a coin from PCGS, you know they have never over graded a coin at least according to our professional standards. Whatever grade they put on it must be right. The only they do wrong is undergrade the coins the experts around here submit.

Being serious for a moment this arguement gets so old. You can go to the web and find dozens, probably hundreds examples of coins in any TPG holder that look over graded. We revel and brag in the fact that we find a coin send it in and it gets upgraded. Everyone congratulates us and we are happy. Shouldn't we realize that we found a coin that was misgraded, in other words the TPG got it wrong. Yet someone posts one coin that appears to be overgraded and we become experts all over again. All this gets laughable after awhile.

Ok taking the tongue out of my cheek......
  • When I first started building my registry set, I was "buying the plastic" on ebay. I returned so many PCGS slabs that I felt were either low-end for the grade or overgraded. I now prefer to buy only in-hand slabs, but that makes it much tougher to add to the set.

TPGs aren't perfect, but overall, I think they make collecting a lot easier and less scary for new or relatively inexperienced collectors.

Mike
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
  • It looks like a great AU-58 to me.

EAC'ers need to wake up and accept the fact that no one except themseleves will accept their way of grading. We don't bash you guys.

Cameron Kiefer
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    dude, we know that.

K S
  • It looks like a great AU-58 to me.

Cameron, I would like to sell you some "AU-58" early copper coins. Where should I send them?

That half cent is obviously over-graded. The sad thing is that you can search Heritage's archives and find other 1793 half cent's that are slabbed as VF that look nearly identical to that NGC-58. Yet someone will still buy that thing as a 58. So sad.
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think anyone is going to pay au58 money for that coin, so NGC does itself a disservice when they grade like that. >>

I bet it sells for more than AU-58 money.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭
    Neither has the wherewithal or knowledge to accurately assess and grade classic and colonial coppers. Period.

I'm still waiting for an explanation as to how the Pittman 1825 Matron cent wound up in a PCGS AU-50 holder when the coin was choice VF at best. A magic grade? And no, it wasn't a blunt strike confusing the boyz!
  • BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭
    CCU, I recently saw an early date Large Cent, a 1794 in an NGC 62 BN holder. In addition to obvious wear on the hair and high points, the coin had ZERO mint luster! If I am going to fork over large amounts of cash for a slabbed, "Mint State" early date Large Cent, you can bet the coin is going to have a generous amount of mint luster.
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org

• << <i>It looks like a great AU-58 to me.

EAC'ers need to wake up and accept the fact that no one except themseleves will accept their way of grading. We don't bash you guys.

Cameron Kiefer >>

Can you look at "OF AMERICA" on the reverse and still say that?And is that porosity right above the "E" of "AMERICA on the reverse?
    OK, lets tally up the results:
      A bunch of people agree that the coin is laughably overgraded3 guys think its a peach of an AU58A few people have pointed out that all TPGs are suspect at grading this stuff.Several people think my EAC background is biasing me, which is odd since I have never been an EAC member, or attended any of their shows and I honestly do not know what their grading criteria is. On the other hand, I have been a collector for 35 years and believe that I do have a reasonable ability to grade a coin.
    To me this is an average XF coin that has, through the miracle of the modern numismatic industry, efficiently migrated to its 'Most Valuable Slab' level at which it is now destined to rot in some dealers inventory at a too high price. Surely no self respecting TPG will ever put this coin into an Mint State holder, so this coin is destined to stay in this piece of plastic until some collector, perhaps one of the three peaches listed above, buys it.

To the eventual owner, I can only say that whatever you do, do not remove this coin from this holder.
  • until some collector, perhaps one of the three peaches listed above, buys it

Maybe they already bought one similar to it, hence the positive comments?

Surely no self respecting TPG will ever put this coin into an Mint State holder

Are you a bettin' man? I can wait a few years......
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file