Home U.S. Coin Forum

Opinions on this 1859 Gold $1

What do you think this would grade?

My posts viewed image times
since 8/1/6

Comments

• nOoBiEeEnOoBiEeE Posts: 1,011 ✭✭
    I dunno but either way, the pic is not clear enough.
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking somewhere in the AU range. Looks like breaks in the luster on the hair and a cotton ball or two.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    Looks fake the the nose are and the tip of the 9 as well as some other areas look funny for gold. Guess it could just be the picture.If real au probably anacs might net it for the scratch.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Photo isn't good enough to use for grading. Being a raw $1 gold its authenticity is immediately suspect.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Do you have a weight and diameter for that coin? I have some issues regarding it's authenticity, although it's very tough to tell from a computer image.
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I have to agree. Although it can't be conclusive from this photo, I'd be concerned about authenticity.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Well I was feeling lucky last month and bought 3 raw gold coins on eBay.

This one came back as Not Genuine.imageimageimage

Good eyes on all of you doubted it's authenticity - wish I did the same.

I contacted the seller explaining the situation asking for a refund, but I haven't heard back yet.

since 8/1/6

• << <i>Well I was feeling lucky last month and bought 3 raw gold coins on eBay.

This one came back as Not Genuine.imageimageimage

Good eyes on all of you doubted it's authenticity - wish I did the same.

I contacted the seller explaining the situation asking for a refund, but I haven't heard back yet. >>

How did you figure out it was fake? I just started coin collecting, I guess thats why the coin looks real to me in the photo. Does it feel heavy like real gold? One thing you can do is take one of your authentic gold coins, take the suspected "fake" one, and flip both (in the air) with your fingers. The authetic and fake one should have different tones of pitch. Also weight it on a eletronic scale.
    It's been written here before, but it bears repeating.

If you want to have a nice day, image
    don't buy raw gold coins on Ebay. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
    Gold Coin Lover:

I didn't like the surfaces, and I didn't like the weakness in the highest levels of surface detail. Also the dentiles, the "teeth" that run around the rim did not have the appearance of a normal U.S. gold dollar from this era.
  • Also, the lower leaves at the top of the wreath (adjacent to "1') are missing. This is feasible on a genuine gold coin, but I have seen this counterfeit before and that's one of the clues.
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

<< <i>How did you figure out it was fake? >>

I submitted it to PCGS who did not authenticate it and returned it in a body bag as "Not Genuine".

As far as Bill's comments about not buying raw gold on eBay, you're preaching to the choir on that one.

I just need to listen to myself more.imageimage
    since 8/1/6
  • What do you mean by saying preaching to the choir?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file