Home U.S. Coin Forum

NGC named official service of the PNG

Didn't PCGS use to be the service of choice for the PNG? If so, what happened? image
We are finite beings, limited in all our powers, and, hence, our conclusions are not only relative, but they should ever be held subject to correction. Positive assurance is unattainable. The dogmatist is the only one who claims to possess absolute certainty.

First POTD 9/19/05!!

Comments

• RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    NGC probably wrote a bigger check.

Russ, NCNE

• << <i>NGC probably wrote a bigger check.

Russ, NCNE >>

Interesting. I didn't know that TPG's paid for endorsements. Was PCGS the former "official grading service" of the PNG?
    We are finite beings, limited in all our powers, and, hence, our conclusions are not only relative, but they should ever be held subject to correction. Positive assurance is unattainable. The dogmatist is the only one who claims to possess absolute certainty.

First POTD 9/19/05!!

• What is PNG?
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember too, that back before the ANA sold ANACS to Amos in 1990 that the PNG endorsed ANACS slabs. I still have one of these in my collection, a 1920 Standing Liberty Quarter in MS63 that is clearly undergraded by current standards.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What is PNG? >>

PNG Web Site
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭
    Why the distancing of these organizations?
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if this really was only about the money. Perhaps there is something more here from a business standpoint.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • What is PNG?

Pretentious Numismatic Guild. You have to have over $100,000 in assets, otherwise you are not considered a "professional numismatist".
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • melikecoinsmelikecoins Posts: 1,154 ✭✭
    The PNG Site still has PCGS as the official service.

Glen
    I don't buy slabs I make them
  • PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭
    Effective April 15th according to story across the street.

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • This means another new variety of slabs for both companies with changed back hologramsimage

Cameron Kiefer
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    It could have something to do with the fact that the guy that organizes and sponsors the NGC Trade & Grades is Robert Bruegemann - head of PNG.

Russ, NCNE
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    that's too bad. it's hardly a positive endorsement imo.

K S
  • XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭

<< <i>What is PNG?

Pretentious Numismatic Guild. You have to have over $100,000 in assets, otherwise you are not considered a "professional numismatist". >>

Gee, I had always thought it was the Pompous Numismatists Guildimage
  • DCAMFranklinDCAMFranklin Posts: 2,862 ✭✭

<< <i>Perhaps there is something more here from a business standpoint. >>

Right-O, 291fifth.

• Are there any members of the PNG here that could shed a little light on this?

First POTD 9/19/05!!

• jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    Julian is a member
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭
    Gee money and politics in the coin business, just what is this world coming too.imageimage
  • I don't care about a sticker on the holder. What's important is what's inside the holder....
    JoeCool
  • BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    Its all ego. PCGS dont need no stinking endorsements.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    PCGS culd probably get Janet Jackson pretty cheap right now, or Courtney Love for early SLQ's----------------------------BigE (edited to say early)
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • DCAMFranklinDCAMFranklin Posts: 2,862 ✭✭

<< <i>Ita all ego. PCGS dont need no stinking endorsements. >>

No?? Then why have they been paying for the same endorsement for the past 5 years? If not, then whey did they submit a bid for so much money for the next 5 years? Obviously, PCGS was willing to pay significant money for the endorsement. They're just mad they lost it.

• BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    I told you its ego, but in my opinion PCGS doesn't need such B.S. endorsements.

These endorsements are paid for like commercials and have no relationship

to quality. Its Ego and money, thats all it is.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Then why have they been paying for the same endorsement for the past 5 years? >>

bingo

K S
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    Maybe they opened pcgs's bid and it said xxx dollars and xxx free gradings.
    Then they opened ngc's bid and it said whatever pcgs bid + xxx dollars and xxx free gradings.

Now that the png dosen't get all these free gradings maybe turn around times will pick up.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file