Home U.S. Coin Forum

Anybody think this is a real Bar cent?

Comments

• ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, considering the coin is being sold by an overseas seller that has ZERO feedback, I'd be smart and let some other sucker loose his money.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    "The coin is silver but it has a blue hue on the scan"

Are authentic Bar cents made of silver???
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I've never seen one that nice, it has to be a fake.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are markers (a die scratch between the bars + the lay of the letters, "USA") for the real thing that one can use to authenticate Bar Cents, but the photo here does not show enough detail to spot them. I'd say that it is one of the more recent repros that are worth a couple dollars at most.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • I find it most shocking that there are so many experienced bidders willing to put up big money for an iffy coin from an iffy seller. I'll never understand that.
    imageimageimage

imageimage
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some people are always looking for a bargain. They think that they can buy a coin for a few hundred bucks that if it's real is worth a several thousand.

It makes it like harder for honest sellers and earier for the crooks, but if you act like a jerk maybe you deserve what happens to you.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Looks fake, but that's just a gut reaction. I would want to see it "in hand". It does not look right (too new, too crisp, wrong color). Besides, Bar Cents are scarce/rare and it's unlikely that they will just turn up in a cheap 2X2 stapled flip in England. The last few that I looked at were F-12 and lower in condition, and had problems. I bid on the a few in the past 2 years and I have not yet been succesful in obtaining a decent example. One of these days..........
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    There was an article in CW about the Bar cent. I haven't finished it yet. Sounds like one of the most counterfeited coin/tokens out there.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Even with the poor pictures...it's easy to see it's a crude copy. There are a number of things that give it away. The most obvious is that the letters in USA are too thick. Here is the fake on the left with a genuine on the right: image
    My website: WWW.telecoin.bizland.com
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I find it most shocking that there are so many experienced bidders willing to put up big money for an iffy coin from an iffy seller. I'll never understand that. >>

Yup.

Show the opposite of your first sentence, and soon the $$$ will be vaporized

Rgrds
    TP image
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    definitely fake.

K S
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    telecoin,
    post both sides of that real puppy...looks nice...
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Sold by someone with zero feedbacks, I'm glad I didn't buy it.....image
    JoeCool
  • I have been in contact with the buyer, and he will let me know
    if any service slabs it. He is sucked in so to put it. Will advise
    if I ever hear back.
    Rusty
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    Thats what is typically referred to as a non-deceptive copy.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file