Home U.S. Coin Forum

1890 Morgan. Need grade help....

I bought this yesterday and just put it aside. I've been fighting a severe cold and haven't been up to par and am very testy. But, anyway, my dealer whom I bought it from told me today to look at the coin again. He thinks he may have undergraded it. If so, he thinks I could do very good on the coin. So, what does it grade in your opinion??....Thanks, Ken
.image
.image

Comments

• RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    Pretty good strike for that issue. I'd put it at MS64 from a bagmark standpoint, but if it has adequate luster that strike might squeeze it in to a 65 holder.

Russ, NCNE
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will look like a Very PQ coin in a 64 holder, but those rim hits on the reverse at 10:30 and 2:30 will help keep it from 65. Nice coin overall though!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    I agree MS64 - just a few too many ticks, but definitely a nice coin.
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

What Baley saidimage
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    WHOAH! I just checked the Greysheet on this one. HUGE value difference between MS64 and MS65 - goes from $84 bid to $1660 bid.

Russ, NCNE
  • nepbrs44nepbrs44 Posts: 600 ✭✭
    With the dings i have to agree it is a nice strike. ! would go MS64
    Bill.

Bust Half & FSB Merc Collector
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    ms64
  • MS63
    J.Kriek
    Morgan Dollar Aficionado & Vammer
    Current Set: Morgan Hit List 40 VAM Set
  • It's only for my raw set anyway......
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For an 1890, it is well above average for strike and mostlikely lustre. I bet that coin looks much better in person. It is a lock 64 with about a 50% shot at 65. I like and if you haven't bought it, someone else will.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• 64 in my book...
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • It is a lock 64 with about a 50% shot at 65. I like and if you haven't bought it, someone else will. ....Oh, no need to worry, I own it!
    .HUGE value difference between MS64 and MS65 - goes from $84 bid to $1660 bid....This alone would be worth the PCGS $30 Lottery. Nothing to lose and a lot to gain. That could buy a lot more raw Morgans for my collection. I think I'll roll the dice on this one....Ken
  • MS-64 image

Nice coin. image
    ksteelheader:

I have an 1890 Morgan that is graded MS65 so I don't need an upgrade and I don't make it a practice to cut into another collector's deal. The 1890, 1891 and 1904 are some of the worst Morgans to come out of Philadelphia and this is an exceptional coin... even if it misses the plastic grade of MS65. I am just offering my thoughts as you had asked.

• StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It will look like a Very PQ coin in a 64 holder, but those rim hits on the reverse at 10:30 and 2:30 will help keep it from 65. Nice coin overall though! >>

I agree with Baley's observations re-quoted above. As Russ noted, because of the huge (20x) price jump from 64 to 65 on this specific coin, the grading services offering guaranteed coin grading will be very cautious and sure when they assign an MS-65 grade.

I have been on the lookout for PQ MS-64's because they are so affordable in that grade, and because of the huge upside gain in MS-65 and the minimal downside in MS-63. In fact I own an old holdered Gen-3 1890 in PCGS MS-64 condition -- which I paid a premium for because I feel that it's a PQ-64, and I think that it's a shot 65 coin. It's got a lot of satiny mint luster for the date and is Semi-PL with some cameo contrast on Miss Liberty's portrait.

Heres my 1890 for comparison: image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    That a pretty solid 64. I don't think it would 5 though, but as you said, the price of a 65 is worth taking a shot.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think either coin will go 65 because they are so picky as to what gets slabbed as a 65. There are almost no 1890 MS64 dollars that have a 50% shot at a 65. If they were that easy to find the price of a 65 would be $400 and not $1650. I've owned a number of very PQ 64's and sold them all as is for 50-100% premiums over 64 money. I'd grade both of these pieces as 64+.
    But you never know......

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>WHOAH! I just checked the Greysheet on this one. HUGE value difference between MS64 and MS65 - goes from $84 bid to $1660 bid.

Russ, NCNE >>

The 1890 dollar comes with dull, indifferent luster. That's why the coin is so expensive in MS-65. I don't spend a lot of time with POP reports, but a dealer down here in Florida had an MS-65 and was saying that it was at the top of the POPs. The coin didn't do much for me. It was toned to dull blue, which probably accounted for the one point increase in grade.

BTW the coin that started this thread is a nice MS-64. It looks a bit dull, however, and I've handed a few with better luster in MS-64.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭
    ms64,
    First of all... a public apology to ksteelheader. I overeacted and that is unacceptable by any standard. I still stand by my comments that it has a 50% shot at 65.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file