Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Would you end the auction early if....

If you had a particular card upon Ebay with a few days to go and the current bid was, let's say $66. You then open an email from a die hard collector of the particular player you have a card up from. he is aware that your card is pretty rare and he may or may not be around when the auction ends in a couple of days. he wants the card bad and offers you $300 for it immediately through Paypal to end the auction early.

You're an Ebay buff and you figured the card to end up selling for around $120 or so. Believe me, I am not going to instigate any more arguements with this issue regardless of the answers. I am just curious to know how many people would pass up the extra money because they thought they would be cheating Ebay?? Am I the only "dishonest" person that would not pass up on the extra $180??? My parents raised me right, but they also didn't raise a dummy. Thanks for your time.

I'm off to meet Clinton portis and Ahman Green today at the Chicago Sportscard Show. I'll have them sign a ball that already has Eddie George, Marcus Allen, Barry Sanders, and Ricky williams on it. Not bad, eh? The coolest thing is just shaking their hands and getting a pic with them.

TheRoach

7 MVP awards, the single season HR record, career walks record, single season walks record, 700HR/500SB, and two batting titles near 40 years old. How can one argue that those aren't stats of the greatest to ever play the game??? All this and there is still more to come!!!! Bonds:2005 NL MVP. Or are you going to doubt him again?

Comments

• Options
    As a seller, I feel obligated to fairness. If no bids have been placed I feel it is ok to take it down. If a bid has been placed then I feel that sense of obligation to a good faith bidder to let it ride to it's conclusion. I also use the BIN option often with a reserve on high dollar value auctions. This way if someone is late to the party that might want to pay top dollar, the opportunity might still exist for that bidder/buyer.

As a buyer I can understand someone taking down an auction with no current bids; but I am disturbed when sellers take down an auction that has my bid already in place.
    Bottom line is I would like to be treated as I would treat others.

RayBShotz
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    Take the $300 and run!
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    I'm confused as to why the buyer can't just put in a $300 bid. If you're right, and it would usually end around $120, odds are the seller will do a little better than s/he would otherwise, and might even get all the way up to the $300, without the buyer having to lay out the full 3 bills.

To me, the problem isn't cheating eBay - it's denying the other people who want to buy it the chance to be competitive. What if the current top bidder is willing to fight over this particular card? I've seen truly stupid prices realized on eBay when two people went after a card that shouldn't have sold for nearly as much as it did. We've all seen it.

I say, the seller should leave it up and let the market decide, while encouraging the buyer to go ahead and place a bid for the max amount he'd be willing to pay.

But then, I also don't sell on eBay, so I only have the buyer's perspective to go by.

Just Morrie
    Collector of Cards
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    I would sell it in a second.
  • Options
    DhjacksDhjacks Posts: 343 ✭✭
    I would never take down an auction that had a bid on it. And it has nothing to do with cheating ebay.
    Working on 1969 through 1975 Basketball.
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    I generally don't end auctions early. A recent experience has reinforced that feeling. I received a nice offer to end an auction and after several emails, I was just about to pull the auction. At the last minute the buyer changed his mind..something about a dealer offering him a better price etc, but he still might want my card if the dealer didn't come through. Just a waste of time, and not worth the trouble.
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    Yes in this case, if somebody is offering double it's current market price and willing to paypal you the $ first..............
  • Options

If it has a bid, let the auction ride. Just tell the man to put a $300 max bid in and that should get him the card. Most likely if you are right about the ending price range of $120, his $300 should be enough to win the auction. If for some reason his max is exceeded you come out way ahead.

Ed
    email address: alohaet@hotmail.com
  • Options
    TipemTipem Posts: 881

Do the right thing.Let it ride!!

If you have ever had an auction pulled out from under you,then you know what I am talking about.

Vic

PS,

If the card is rare,then there might be snipes lurking.Maybe two bidders are sniping and you will see more than $300.Just a thought!!
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roach

<< <i>My parents raised me right, but they also didn't raise a dummy. >>

I don't think you are stupid, so aren't we confusing intelligence and ethics here? Doing the right thing will stay with you for life - a little profit will be gone in an instant. Just a thought - what do ya think?
    Mikeimage
    Mike
  • Options
    If you have no bids...do what you like...but once the bidding is in place...you have to stay in the game...tell your $300 to put his bid in now!
    Henri
    Collector
    Topps 58,59,60,61,62,63,64 Sets
    Fleer 60, 61-62 Sets
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    This has happened to me before, sort of. All I can say is, if someone emails you wanting to pay three bills for the card in question, you will probably get at least that much, if not more, by letting it ride. Never fails for me. Ending the auction isn't necessary.
  • Options
    I agree that the right thing to do is to let the auction play out - treat others as you want to be treated yourself. If they want the card that badly they can put a bid in for $300 and see if they win it. Supply and demand will dictate what the card is ultimately worth.
    "Why is it that Superman could stop a bullet with his chest, yet he ducked when somebody threw a chair at him?"
    "
    " Go ahead and get your fancy barely visible cell phones that get the internet, play DVD's, and can speak 5 languages. As for me and my Atari cell phone it works, it weighs 7 pounds, it is 14 inches long, and it looks like I could call in an airstrike from a remote desert it is so large!"
  • Options

take the $300 and end it
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    End it.

collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    Thanks to all who helped out with this "ethics" question. I actually just got a response back from a guy on Ebay who I inquired about a card he was selling. The current bid was like $4 and I asked what he was looking for to end the auction. It was a Heritage Black Retrofractor RC/555. He responded back "$50 for insured, priority mail. Let me know". Lots of people do this and seem to have no problem with it. Put me in that class. So someone missed out on a card I was selling. Just go look for another. If you want to avoid my items/auctions, go ahead. I don't have over 800+ deals on Ebay with 99.6% for nothing. The only negatives I have are from retaliations. I refuse to pay $20 to Ebay SquareTrade to have a negative removed. If you pay, they'll remove it. If you don't, tough luck. What kind of rotten system is that? Ebay finds ways to squeeze every last cent out of people and I am supposed to care about a few dollars I am not paying them?

Keep in mind, breaking rules and breaking the law are two totally different things. Don't put me in the class of someone who would break the law, just because I happen to get out of paying Ebay a few fees when I sell a card of mine off line to someone who is willing to pay me alot more than I would make if I let it ride.

Those of you who are "apalled" by my way of seeing this issue can just simply avoid my name on Ebay. Those of you who think it's low to avoid some fees to Ebay should just keep that in mind when you get burned by another seller for a nice higher dollar card and Ebay does nothing for you. If you want extra special support, you could pay for it by joining SquareTrade I hear. PAY PAY PAY PAY PAY. Screw that. The amount of money they rake in, they should offer this kind of support anyway. But of course, it's just another way for them to make more $$$.

TheRoach

7 MVP awards, the single season HR record, career walks record, single season walks record, 700HR/500SB, and two batting titles near 40 years old. How can one argue that those aren't stats of the greatest to ever play the game??? All this and there is still more to come!!!! Bonds:2005 NL MVP. Or are you going to doubt him again?
  • Options
    From reading the posts, it sounds like most people don’t have a problem ending an auction early as long as there aren’t bids placed. I agree with this; however, you can simply edit your listing and either change or add in a BIN for the agreed upon price. Several times I have done this. This way everyone is happy: the buyer has some sense of protection (whether or not eBay would back him up is a different story), eBay gets their fees, and you sell the card for the price negotiated – obviously more than you think you could have gotten!

Brian
  • Options
    ethics are obviously not a strong suit
    for many on this board....

sad.

imageimage
  • Options
    BigKid - very well said and you and I share the same opinion on this subject.
    "Why is it that Superman could stop a bullet with his chest, yet he ducked when somebody threw a chair at him?"
    "
    " Go ahead and get your fancy barely visible cell phones that get the internet, play DVD's, and can speak 5 languages. As for me and my Atari cell phone it works, it weighs 7 pounds, it is 14 inches long, and it looks like I could call in an airstrike from a remote desert it is so large!"
  • Options
    AknotAknot Posts: 1,196 ✭✭
    Im sorry if the person has enough time to "offer" you $300 why cant he put in a $300 max bid? Makes no sense what so ever. As a few have said either he gets it for $300 or under or he does not and you as the seller get more.

It is all about ethics not about "ebay". You do something like this "here" and god knows what else you would do in life for a little extra cash "on the spot".
  • Options
    If I was interested in such a seller's card but was waiting until a bit later to bid and then I found out that he ended the auction before I could place the bid (and, believe me, I would suspect the reason), I would NEVER bid on anything he was selling again - period!
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

• Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    i've bought early,sold early and given ebay their fees via negotiated buy it nows.
    a seller should do what makes him happy.how about those sellers that place incorrect
    buy it nows that get taken.how many of you buyers have let the guy slide???.
    lots of holy people here with other people's money.what if a seller is selling because
    his real livelihood turned to dust?.is it fair to let their auctions run for 7,10 days
    when they are 11 days from eviction?.sellers can and should do what is right for them.
    ebay isn't always a hobby.sometimes ebay is the quickest way for someone to save their
    families,businesses and themselves.
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options

<< <i>Im sorry if the person has enough time to "offer" you $300 why cant he put in a $300 max bid? Makes no sense what so ever. As a few have said either he gets it for $300 or under or he does not and you as the seller get more.

It is all about ethics not about "ebay". You do something like this "here" and god knows what else you would do in life for a little extra cash "on the spot". >>

Aknot - very well said. Some think it is ok to screw Ebay any chance you can, yet they have no problem using their site, ability to reach millions, and services to make money at the same time. Seems a bit hypocritical. Whether it is selling early when bids have already been placed or pulling items early because you don't like the selling price it is still wrong and unethical - people usually stay away from dealing with people who support these positions. Like you said Aknot - what are people who would do this doing when nobody is watching?
    "
  • Options

<< <i>sellers can and should do what is right for them.
    ebay isn't always a hobby.sometimes ebay is the quickest way for someone to save their
    families,businesses and themselves. >>

I can't argue when someone has to make a decision of severe magnitude but still, the end never justifies the means. As you said in another post, the Germans used that logic to justify their behavior. This is a very complex issue and no one is saying that they are saints but we can never rationalize our behavior to justify what we need. I don't sell on ebay but I'll have to back SLV and others on this one; sometimes we make bad decisions but to consciously take the position stated toward ebay and it's rules is not fair to anyone - perhaps this attitude is what has screwed this country and why some people ARE out of work. Just a thought - but I do understand your position.
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Tonight, someone ended an auction I was bidding on (snipe locked and loaded) with 5 minutes to go on a Joe Mauer RC. I think the price was a bit low, but if he had waited for my bid, it would have certainly been worth the sellers while. In an online auction format, sometimes you take a small hit, other times you are the beneficiary of a bidding war. It comes with the territory, and I was not happy to have the rug pulled out from under me like that...
  • Options
    Sox - I saw the same auction and although I had not bid on it I tracked it to see what the outcome would be (sale price). Maybe they had a legit reason, but maybe a lot of these Mauer, Lebron, Pujols auctions just "magically" end early - seems the one's going for 60% of book are even more likelyimageimageimage
    "
  • Options
    PC,

If you need money and you need it in 3 days why place a 7 Day auction? Why not set a buy now price at or near the limit.

Believe me I have come very close to Bankruptcy other then that unless you are dealing with "shady" characters there is always a way to get money if the cause is just and or extend that deadline just a little longer.

Also MAYBE 20 years ago when I was younger I may have "screwed" someone because of their mistake, but now as Im a little "older" and wiser I find it is not "nice" to take advantage of someone.

Sellers should do what is right for the community, not what is right for them. This is how "crap" goes to hell in a handbasket, everyone is looking out for themselves and not for the community that they are part of and maybe helped to create.

(not pointing fingers just making statements)
  • Options
    You people crack me up. Let's all bow down to Ebay and praise them. How come nobody touched on my numerous points about not getting any support from Ebay when I was burned for $100 on a '87 Fleer Barry Bonds awhile back. They got me back about $3 I believe.

And another thing for all of you hypocrites that are complaining about not giving others a shot at a card when it is "pulled from underneath you", how about BIDDING LIKE YOU SHOULD INSTEAD OF SHILL BIDDING!!!. Just think, if you would have bid like the auction was set up for, when the card got pulled with 5 minutes to go, at least you could say that you had a shot before he pulled it. But no, most of you people try and STEAL the card from any other collector that may want it by conveniently placing a bid with less than 5 seconds remaining in an effort to deprive another out of it.

You all preach that anyone that really wants a card should just place a large bid and that would guarantee that they get it then. Wrong. Because if someone else wants it, they will give the original guy the impression that he will win it until about 5 seconds before the auction ends and then BAM! he gets sniped and loses out on the card he wanted. He kicks himself for not making an offer off line. Ebay was not set up to allow people to win auctions unfairly by SNIPING in the last few seconds. In a regular auction, even if someone makes a bid when they get to the "Going twice" part, the bidding starts all over again and gives others a shot at making another bid. When you guys SNIPE, you are very aware that you are taking that card away from someone without giving them another shot at outbidding you.

So all of you that claim to be so honest and righteous, get bent. It makes me sick to hear you all act like you belong to be knighted. Your main concern is giving others a shot at the card. That is the "Fair" way. LOL. A little advice, quit sniping then. ou are not giving all the others a shot at that card if you snag it in the final seconds. What about the guy that does things the normal way and just places a bid. He watches that card up until the final few seconds and assumes he is going to win it so he doesn't bother placing another bid. But little does he know that there is a group of wolves out there all ready to attack at the last second and deprive him of his card. Why not be fair and place the bid amount to what you are willing to pay?

I'll tell you why, because you want the card for the least amount possible. So by sniping, you may be costing the seller lots more $$$ than he is actually getting. Yeah, that's what I call looking out for your fellow man. Freakin' hypocrites.

I bet you would all return any extra the government put on your income tax return by mistake, right? Return a wallet with money in it, but no ID to the local police station? Call the cable company if you had HBO for a month but it didn't show up on your next bill? You're all responsible for those little gold coins that end up in the Salvation Army buckets around Christmas, right? You could lie to yourself, but don't lie to me.

The only thing most of you are upset about when an auction gets ended early is that you didn't have an opportunity to snatch that card from someone else in the final seconds. That's lame and wrong. Definitely not the way EBAY intended these auctions to work. But hey, it works for you guys, right?

TheRoach

• Options
    Why did you start this thread and ask for people's opinions?
  • Options

<< <i>Why did you start this thread and ask for people's opinions? >>

I asked for opinions on the topic, not me. I am being made out to be a serial killer because I sell my cards for more $$$ than I would get sometimes if I waited for someone to SNIPE them. This is just my opinion anyway. An even exchange of opinions.

TheRoach

• Options
    See I bid like Im supposed to. I do not "snipe" and find it very "distasteful". Yet I am supposed to "stoop" to a lower level "just because" it can happen to me or it has happened to others?

THAT is where the difference comes in. You dont like it, cant agree with it, it upsets you, walk away. Why make matters worse by doing the things that you do not like in the first place?

That would be like saying to "curb" murders you would go out and murder more people. Just doesnt make sense.

If the system doesnt work the way you like/want it to, change to another system or start your own. Offer constructive help and possible solutions, if that doesnt work "complaining" (**GOT CAUGHT BY THE CENSORS!!!**) will not resolve anything.

(again this is a general statement havent been around long enough to "point" fingers)
  • Options
    And another thing for all of you hypocrites that are complaining about not giving others a shot at a card when it is "pulled from underneath you", how about BIDDING LIKE YOU SHOULD INSTEAD OF SHILL BIDDING!!!. Just think, if you would have bid like the auction was set up for, when the card got pulled with 5 minutes to go, at least you could say that you had a shot before he pulled it. But no, most of you people try and STEAL the card from any other collector that may want it by conveniently placing a bid with less than 5 seconds remaining in an effort to deprive another out of it.

Placing a bid that is more than another person offered whether it is 5 seconds to go or 5 days to go is not shill bidding - it is basic econ 101. If you want to buy an item for $200 and that is what you feel it is worth place a top all bid at $200 and that will eliminate any last minute bids to "steal" the card from you. When a person pulls a card that was supposed to end at 10 pm at 9:50 they are changing the pre-set rules of the auction - there is a difference in being outbid vs. changing the rules. If one feels they are deprived they should be smart enough to bid more next time.

So all of you that claim to be so honest and righteous, get bent. It makes me sick to hear you all act like you belong to be knighted. Your main concern is giving others a shot at the card. That is the "Fair" way. LOL. A little advice, quit sniping then. ou are not giving all the others a shot at that card if you snag it in the final seconds. What about the guy that does things the normal way and just places a bid. He watches that card up until the final few seconds and assumes he is going to win it so he doesn't bother placing another bid. But little does he know that there is a group of wolves out there all ready to attack at the last second and deprive him of his card. Why not be fair and place the bid amount to what you are willing to pay?

???????????????????????????????

This is called supply and demand. If I place a bid for $100 and you try to snipe it at $80 guess what? I win the card because I offered more. There is no magical formula that says if someone bids last they win - only the person who offers the most. It sounds to me like someone is getting upset because they are yelling at everyone to get bent and be knighted, yet if someone just bid what they wanted to pay they would get the card at the price they wanted. If the auction goes the full amount of time the person with the best bid wins, so if you can't figure out what to do bid a little more and maybe people won't steal auctions from you.

I'll tell you why, because you want the card for the least amount possible. So by sniping, you may be costing the seller lots more $$$ than he is actually getting. Yeah, that's what I call looking out for your fellow man. Freakin' hypocrites.

Newsflash - most people like to by things for the lowest price and sell them for the best price and not to burst anyone's bubble but it is actually a legal thing to do - it is called smart business. Hopefully you are not buying cards for $50 when you can buy them for $30. Many on here will tell you that this is actually possible with hard work and doing your homework and in an ethical and legal fashion. If there is a card that I am interested in I might track few on Ebay to see what the going rate is and then bid on the next few items with the average price they have been going for.

I bet you would all return any extra the government put on your income tax return by mistake, right? Return a wallet with money in it, but no ID to the local police station? Call the cable company if you had HBO for a month but it didn't show up on your next bill? You're all responsible for those little gold coins that end up in the Salvation Army buckets around Christmas, right? You could lie to yourself, but don't lie to me.

Actually there are probably a lot of people on here and everywhere that would do what you have stated and actually do it routinely. Maybe you did not have a good role model when you were growing up and if you did not that was unfortunate. I was lucky that I had parents that instilled right and wrong in us at an early age. I can still remember my dad getting back too much change and giving it back to the cashier, and of course being little kids we were screaming for him to keep it. Those types of lessons really hit home when you have kids of your own and you have to teach them right from wrong. Little does my dad know that the dollar he gave back taught us much more later on than any dollar amount could represent. We were not perfect and of course made mistakes, but hopefully as we grow older we learn that doing the right thing has more rewards than making an extra buck or getting free cable. The amazing thing is that your children and their children will learn from the examples set before them, and just like bad habits are hard to break so are good ones like honesty, character, and charity.

I don't put gold coins in the Salvation Army bucket, but I will tell you this. The people at the Salvation Army are a wonderful group of people that give so much time and assistance to those in need along with a strong Christian message. If you have never had the chance to donate your time, money, or assistance you are missing out on something special. The time and help you offer is worth more to them than any gold coins you could put in the kettle. Best of luck to you.
    "
  • Options

<< <i>Placing a bid that is more than another person offered whether it is 5 seconds to go or 5 days to go is not shill bidding - it is basic econ 101. If you want to buy an item for $200 and that is what you feel it is worth place a top all bid at $200 and that will eliminate any last minute bids to "steal" the card from you. When a person pulls a card that was supposed to end at 10 pm at 9:50 they are changing the pre-set rules of the auction - there is a difference in being outbid vs. changing the rules. If one feels they are deprived they should be smart enough to bid more next time.

This is called supply and demand. If I place a bid for $100 and you try to snipe it at $80 guess what? I win the card because I offered more. There is no magical formula that says if someone bids last they win - only the person who offers the most. It sounds to me like someone is getting upset because they are yelling at everyone to get bent and be knighted, yet if someone just bid what they wanted to pay they would get the card at the price they wanted. If the auction goes the full amount of time the person with the best bid wins, so if you can't figure out what to do bid a little more and maybe people won't steal auctions from you.

Newsflash - most people like to by things for the lowest price and sell them for the best price and not to burst anyone's bubble but it is actually a legal thing to do - it is called smart business. Hopefully you are not buying cards for $50 when you can buy them for $30. Many on here will tell you that this is actually possible with hard work and doing your homework and in an ethical and legal fashion. If there is a card that I am interested in I might track few on Ebay to see what the going rate is and then bid on the next few items with the average price they have been going for.

Actually there are probably a lot of people on here and everywhere that would do what you have stated and actually do it routinely. Maybe you did not have a good role model when you were growing up and if you did not that was unfortunate. I was lucky that I had parents that instilled right and wrong in us at an early age. I can still remember my dad getting back too much change and giving it back to the cashier, and of course being little kids we were screaming for him to keep it. Those types of lessons really hit home when you have kids of your own and you have to teach them right from wrong. Little does my dad know that the dollar he gave back taught us much more later on than any dollar amount could represent. We were not perfect and of course made mistakes, but hopefully as we grow older we learn that doing the right thing has more rewards than making an extra buck or getting free cable. The amazing thing is that your children and their children will learn from the examples set before them, and just like bad habits are hard to break so are good ones like honesty, character, and charity.

I don't put gold coins in the Salvation Army bucket, but I will tell you this. The people at the Salvation Army are a wonderful group of people that give so much time and assistance to those in need along with a strong Christian message. If you have never had the chance to donate your time, money, or assistance you are missing out on something special. The time and help you offer is worth more to them than any gold coins you could put in the kettle. Best of luck to you. >>

Thanks for the advice Mr. Rogers. I see some of your points, but you seem to have no idea how Ebay works. What's your name on Ebay? How many deals have you made? I'm curious to know if you are speaking from experience, or just babbling with little experience. I am very active on Ebay and I have seen it all.

Anyone that knows me or has dealt with me will tell you that I am one of the nicer people they ever met. I have just been around the block plenty of times and I know how to wheel and deal. I'll tell ya what, I would like to do a little survey. I will email 20 different random Ebayers and ask them to end their auction early and to name a price. I will even seem apologetic and ask them if they are bothered by skipping out on Ebay's fees. I will post the results once I get the response. I may even surprise myself, right?

By the way, do you take the kids to the local forest preserve on the weekends to pick up litter in the woods?

TheRoach

• Options
    You raise a good point Roach.

As you are aware, unless parties who meet informally on the internet turn that chance meeting to a friendship, no one here REALLY knows what is in the hearts and minds of others here.

There could be some Jeffrey Dahlmer here espousing Ethics all day long...we both have experience with empty pumpkins who like to talk big with the anonymity of the internet to shield them.

So, in the end, everyone here is offering an opinion with little to back it up , though it is heartwarming to read all the good thoughts on this board.

I am not suggesting that anyone here is being cynical or duplicitous as to their views and actions....but I do know this....I know you Roach....you mentored me through collecting without asking for anything in return....you lent me money ( and vice versa ) when it was needed and yet, we have never even met face to face.

I know YOU...a good an honest family guy...I really don't know anyone else here.
  • Options

<< <i>I really don't know anyone else here. >>

You do me, im the guy that sits behind you on the subway and appears to be following you....... MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭✭
    Roach, your as*clown act is getting tired...back to the BST boards

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options

<< <i>Roach, your as*clown act is getting tired...back to the BST boards >>

Hey Carew4Me - Who the hell do you think you are? If you don't like it, why are you still reading the threads you moron? Staying out of these arguements is in your best interest unless you are looking to instigate trouble. If nothing I said related to you personally, then keep you lip zipped. If it did, then you have a guilty conscious and have no defense for what I said other than the usual, "get out of here" lame response. I've read several of your posts and found absolutely nothing of interest, so we're even. Your threads make me tired even without the presence of arguement.

TheRoach

• Options

<< <i>I know you Roach....you mentored me through collecting without asking for anything in return....you lent me money ( and vice versa ) when it was needed and yet, we have never even met face to face. >>

Beach
    When this thread is long gone, possibly through attrition, along with some of the participants, this statement will be lasting. As you have vouched for Roach, I too, in a short time, have gotten to know some of the regular contributors. I have spoken, thru pm's, to many and have exchanged personal feelings. I am developing relationships that, I trust, are of the kind that you speak. Before I would publicly respond negatively regarding ones person, I feel compelled to truly know and understand that person. I have traded and purchased from some and personally like them - JoeStalin, Kuhlmann, Bearsnum, Bighurt, Aknot, ConAir, Bengineno, Cornholio, WinPitcher, BigKid, iupkid, knopfler, slvnumber - and YES, as some of them will attest, we have shared 'personal' thoughts on things and will try to enhance each others lives as they pertain to sharing our pursuit. I believe in the spirited debate but wish people would abstain from the personal affronts.
    Mike image
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Placing a bid that is more than another person offered whether it is 5 seconds to go or 5 days to go is not shill bidding - it is basic econ 101. If you want to buy an item for $200 and that is what you feel it is worth place a top all bid at $200 and that will eliminate any last minute bids to "steal" the card from you. When a person pulls a card that was supposed to end at 10 pm at 9:50 they are changing the pre-set rules of the auction - there is a difference in being outbid vs. changing the rules. If one feels they are deprived they should be smart enough to bid more next time.

I don't put gold coins in the Salvation Army bucket, but I will tell you this. The people at the Salvation Army are a wonderful group of people that give so much time and assistance to those in need along with a strong Christian message. If you have never had the chance to donate your time, money, or assistance you are missing out on something special. The time and help you offer is worth more to them than any gold coins you could put in the kettle. Best of luck to you. >>

Thanks for the advice Mr. Rogers. I see some of your points, but you seem to have no idea how Ebay works. What's your name on Ebay? How many deals have you made? I'm curious to know if you are speaking from experience, or just babbling with little experience. I am very active on Ebay and I have seen it all.

Anyone that knows me or has dealt with me will tell you that I am one of the nicer people they ever met. I have just been around the block plenty of times and I know how to wheel and deal. I'll tell ya what, I would like to do a little survey. I will email 20 different random Ebayers and ask them to end their auction early and to name a price. I will even seem apologetic and ask them if they are bothered by skipping out on Ebay's fees. I will post the results once I get the response. I may even surprise myself, right?

By the way, do you take the kids to the local forest preserve on the weekends to pick up litter in the woods?

TheRoach

image >>

To answer your questions my Ebay ID has been posted on here previously and it is the same as my PSA ID. Please feel free to check my feedback on Ebay and I think you can deduce for yourself if I am someone that you would want to do business with. I pay for my lots within 24 hours, and I also ship the same day I receive payment. This has allowed me to get some very favorable feedback from the people I deal with. I actually have a lot more experience in PSA cards than Ebay, and any major dealer in the SMR I have bought from and sold to over the past 7-8 years - I am on a first name basis with pretty much every single big PSA dealer, and we usually meet at the National Convention each year and either go to a game or out to eat. Too bad it is not in Chicago this year since we have been wearing out Gibson's at the Doubletree quite often - good steaks and huge dessertsimage

You might be one of the nicest peope in the business, but I think the comments like calling people hypocrites, Mr Rogers, calling people morons, and saying that they must pick up litter in the woods with the local Woodchuck group 109 is going to make people think otherwise.

It seems you are wanting validation by your posts asking for opinions and even wanting to quiz 20 Ebay members whether or not they would buy early and pull an auction. Personally I would not and will not pull one early, and I have received offers to do so and politely told the person good luck with the bidding and hope they won the lot. I might not agree with all of the Ebay rules, but it is their forum and I will go by the rules they have set. If I don't agree with them then I need to find a different way to sell my items, but knowingly doing things against their rules because I don't feel they are right is not justification to do so - just like stealing from a store that I think has prices that are too high does not warrant my getting a "discount".
    "
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Let me just say that the "Jeffrey Dahmer" comments are quit offensive to those of us who are legitimate cannibals. Not everyone of us is a murderer. In fact, I had quite a nice source of preserved meat going until the state decided to make an example of my source at the UCLA biology lab.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    jeeze louise this thread has gotten real bad, name calling etc....my only contribution to this thread is that snipe bidding is just one of many strategies that people use on ebay. if ebay didnt want it to occur they would halt all bidding 1 minute b4 the end of auction....to call people hypocrites that snipe as opposed to placing they're full amount at once seems ignorant to me. The reason the strategy of making your max known early (in this thread at least) was so as to not circumvent the entire auction time frame. However at times I have used all the strategies I could think of to try and win the auction. i mean is that not what we are trying to do? win the auction???? I suggest the few that have gotten emotional in regard to this thread go back and re read it and you may find a different perspective. my 2 cents

know all of ya go and hug one another life is too short to bicker on a chat room board for god sakes!!

edited to say 20 min ago as i was sniping an auction for a psa 7 mars attacks checklist the seller pulled the auction with 10 secs to go!! my response? hey it was his until the fat lady sang and it woulda been mine had his computer froze!! or the previous's hi bidders had he maxed out over what my snipe was. and....if ebay wanted all that they would have to do is extend any auction that has a bid placed in the last minute or so.....yahoo does it

Contacted by a bidder who offered to end the auction at a price that was unlikely to be reached at auction. he "had " to have the card.

the above sentence is what the seller of the mars attacks checklist emailed me in reply to my asking him why he would end an auction with 15 secs left to go.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    actully i like how my heart beats fast when im about to snipe lol

Good for you.
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    i ilke the idea of auctions extending if last minute bids appear.
    that would put snipers in a bind and ebay could charge the seller
    more for that service.
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    you have to think about the auction that you really wanted and all of a sudden it was gone. How did that make you feel?. I will NEVER end an auction early for anybody. I'll take a loss first before I do that.image

Ebay: Speedy6901
  • Options
    Clementefan - I agree with your position and I have received e-mails asking to buy off of Ebay and end early, and I find the best way to deal with them is to simply wish them luck and tell them to bid on the lot. If they really want the card as badly as they say they do in the e-mail surely they will bid appropriately to make sure they get the card.
    "
  • Options

<< <i>Clementefan - I agree with your position and I have received e-mails asking to buy off of Ebay and end early, and I find the best way to deal with them is to simply wish them luck and tell them to bid on the lot. If they really want the card as badly as they say they do in the e-mail surely they will bid appropriately to make sure they get the card. >>

Ok, Ok. I am about sick of my own thread at this point also. Listen, I am a fan of sportscards much like everyone on these boards. I started a thread like this because it was a a carried over arguement from another thread. My whole point is that I think it's ridiculous to not accept someone's offer for more $$$$ on a card I am selling if the person wants to pay double or so. They are happy and I am happy. 2 people in the deal, 2 people happy. Seems pretty good to me. Anyway, I realize that everyone has their own opinions and sometimes I like to debate more than just listen.

The next time I start a thread like this, I will warn anyone that posts a reply that their opinion is subject for debate. Nothing will ever change my way of thinking on this matter. I could care less if there was 6 other people bidding on a card that I want and they don't get a chance at the card after I make an offer to the seller that he accepts to end the auction early. Other than skipping out on Ebay fees ( which I do not understand why so many people took that personal??? ), I have done nothing more wrong than anyone else. I "sniped" and grabbed the card from the dealer before some other Ebayer with a stopwatch in hand beat me to it 5 seconds ( that would probably still be too slow ) before the auction was supposed to end.

Alot of people agreed that the whole object of Ebay is to win every auction you bid on, and also win that very card for the cheapest possible price. Well, I'll tell you what. I ebayed another seller earlier today to end an auction for a 2001 Titanium Reggie Wayne RC/75 that had about 15 hrs to go on it earlier. The current bid was $21 or so, and I offered him $65. the last one went off around $70-$80. These cards are hot and there are only 75 of each rookie printed. Some people are paying twice book for the really hot rookies ( Vick, Tomlinson, etc. ) Now, I could have bid $150 and went to bed. Maybe I wake up and I win the card at $137 or so after another avid collector raised up the bid during the final 30 seconds hoping to win it. Or, maybe that very same collector actually wins the auction for $152.50 and I was in bed sleeping. Both of those case suck compared to me getting the card for $65 like I am now. The seller agreed instantly to end the auction, and now I don't have to worry about either scenario. I got my card for a great price.

Skipping out on Ebay's fees would be the last thing I am thinking about, especially in this case where I am not even responsible anyway. If I want a card, I go after it. It doesn't hurt to ask. Lots of time I do ask the seller before there is even a bid so it ain't so bad anyway. But I will admit that seeing a bid or so doesn't usually stop me OR THE SELLER from completing a deal anyway.

I honestly believe that most of the people that have a beef with this are just upset that I am beating them out of a card before they even have a chance to win it. Well, I got sick of trying to compete with snipers, and I wasn't about o ut a HUGE bid in so others could raise that up on me. This is the easiest way to get cards. have some sellers turned me down? Absolutely. as a mater of fact, one earlier today for a 2 card lot I inquired about. I offered $30 for the 2 cards. It's at $6 now and I think it may even end less than $30 after all. I'l still bid.

I have shared this topic with others who have literally laughed at the possibility of not accepting someone's offer of double what my card may be worth to end an auction. They think that some of you are from Mars. Unfortuantely, maybe that is where society shifted if you think that bending the rules of Ebay here and there to have better success is a "terrible infraction of ethics". I disagree.

We could go on and on, but I think there is so many things each day that many don't even realize they do that would fall into this category of "unethical". Premarital sex is a mortal sin, but you won't go to jail for it and 90% of people do it today. Jay walking is breaking the law, but any of us do it thousands of time a year. No turn on red, Illegal U-Turn, dropping something out of your car window or onto the street ( littering ), smoking in a non-smoking environment because you are only concerned about your needs, speeding but not getting caught, charging $3 for shipping when you know that the card is going to only cost you about 60 cents in a padded mailer. The other $2.40 is for handling, right? Yeah, ok. How about downloading music on the internet rather than paying for a musician's CD? You are costing that artist $$$. They don't need it though, right? They already make trillions of $$$.

Anyway, I never intended this to bleed into a question of ethics, a simple "yes I would end it", or "no, I wouldn't" would have worked just fine as an answers. Instead it was implied that if I skip out on some Ebay fees, "Imagine what else he does in life for $$". C'mon folks, get real. I did all kind of stuff when I was younger, just like most of your kids are right now and you are too blind to see it. I have 2 young kids myself and I plan on raising them to be fine young men. However, if they have an opportunity to maximize their profits on anything, but in return they would be skipping out on a few dollars here and there from a corporation (Ebay) that they pay lots of $$$$ into monthly, and will not ever support or protect them from thieves or scammers on a daily basis, I will give them my blessing. An eye for an eye. With the millions of $$$ that Ebay makes monthly, you would think that they wouldn't hesitate to just reimburse a guy with my feedback rating the $100 I was taken for by a seller that they represent in a minute. Like I said before, I got back $3. I have been burned before for $5 -$10 cards and don't even bother with Ebay anymore. I will not intentionally look for items to purchase that already have bids on them, but if they do, so be it.

As for the name calling, when people like Carew4me just jumps in and makes senseless comments about my thread when I never once called out any particular person by name, that irritates me. he came into the thread to stir up trouble. lots of others just stayed back and either listened or flat out ignore. I applaud them for that. They may all disagree with me, but they don't want to argue over and over again. It's very easy to not open the thread once you have realized that it does not interest you.

And finally, SLVnumber2 I don't know too many people with your ethics who would be offended when called Mr. Rogers? Wasn't he Mr. Ethics? It's time to get back to sports talk until we decide to debate again. I'll keep the name calling out of future arguements unless I am instigated otherwise.

TheRoach

• Options
    Amen
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Atta boy Roach...there was never a doubt in my mind as this thread dies who the good guys are......
  • Options

<< <i>Atta boy Roach...there was never a doubt in my mind as this thread dies who the good guys are...... >>

Thanks Mike! Ya know if everyone on earth was just like you and I, the world would be filled with peace, joy, and a hell of a lot of good looking people. I'll drink to that! Cheers buddy!

Your chum,

TheRoach

• Options
    Sorry been busy.

No Roach you are "kinda" wrong.

It is not two people being happy. It is two people being happy and a few others maybe getting ticked because they didnt get a "fair shake". The only reason you are "happy" is you (maybe) got more money.

Not opinion, fact.

Fact, a PUBLIC auction is for the public. What you do is take the "public" out of it, making it more a "for sale" instead of for auction. Im not "protecting" Ebay. Im just saying if you had that 1 of 1 card up for auction that I would pay "X" amount of dollars for topping what "Joe" paid you on the side for and you pulled it for "Joe" who looses out? I then would get upset with you and Ebay for not giving me my "fair" shot at something.

The system is in place for a reason.

My questions is and will always be why cant "Joe" post his bid? If he wants to pay you $500 for a card why cant he put $500 dollars down as his bid? Why does he need it then and now for $500? What is a 7 day wait?

Maybe if that is explained to me I could understand it better. So someone please explain to me why "Joe" does not put his "max" bid down and get the card at that price or lower. OR he looses out and the seller gets a better price. You still have 2 happy people in both scenerios and in each one the seller is ALWAYS happy.