Home U.S. Coin Forum

PLEASE WRITE TO YOUR CONGRESSPERSON!

Hi all - call me crazy, but I'm drafting a letter to my congressman in support of the $1 Presidential coin legislation, and I think you all should too!

(Maybe we don't all agree that ol' Millard should get such national press, but I think, like the state quarters, the $-coin could prove very lucrative for coin collectors.)

Comments

• Welcome!
  • Thank you and thank you!
  • cosmicdebriscosmicdebris Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭
    NO MORE DEAD PRESIDENTS FOR MEimage
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • GoldfingerGoldfinger Posts: 319 ✭✭
    I've written to promote the idea of a Harriet Tubman coin. Long overdue, no?

-Jay
    small_d

e-mail me here

WINNER:
    POTD 8-30-05 (awarded by dthigpen)
    POTD 9-8-05 (awarded by gsaguy)
    GSAGUY Slam 12-10-04
  • TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭

<< <i>NO MORE DEAD PRESIDENTS FOR MEimage >>

I second this motion! We need to put art back into our coins and currency.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.

• << <i>NO MORE DEAD PRESIDENTS FOR MEimage >>

Ditto,I would like to see the face of Liberty on our coins instead of recieving coins with dead,old presidents on them.And no person would probably spend "presidential dollars" any more than they have Sacagaweas or Susan B. Anthonys.
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 18,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bring back Lady Liberty!
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>NO MORE DEAD PRESIDENTS FOR MEimage >>

YEAH!
    Prediction: TOTAL FLOP.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard.

While I strongly agree with the sentiment, there is some danger that very frequent coin
    design changes to circulating coinage might trivialize the coins themselves and result in
    long term damage to the hobby. So long as the dollar isn't really circulating this shouldn't
    be a particular problem, but there is a chance it will be circulating in the future.

So far as design changes which are still sorely needed, it would be ideal to see symbolic
    representations of liberty or at the least more interesting subjects than past presidents and
    other great Americans.

Tempus fugit.
  • sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I will write in opposition.
  • I'm tired of dead presidents.image
    Constellatio Collector sevenoften@hotmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""
  • Sounds Good......

imageimageimageimage
    coconut
  • RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    With all due respect ......... naaahhhh! I will stick with my idea that the $1 coin should be made a collectible -- and rid ourselves of the artistically bereft Sac -- by rotating a series of obverses that display the most scenic vistas of our National Parks and Landmarks ...
  • CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭
    "I am certain it will be more agreeable to the citizens of the United States to see the head of Liberty on their coin, than the head of presidents." -George Washington

I've been writting my elected officials twice a year, since the Sac was introduced to promote the $1 coin and eliminate the $1 bill, without 1 response in 4 years. The $1 coin no matter whose face is on it will never be accepted as long as there is the sawbuck.
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • I don't get why they would pick on the Sac to change the design of the coin. Having a presidential series on coins would not promote their circulation, if anything, people would hoard them. I'd be more inclined to look at the half dollar as the recepient of this change given that the Kennedy design has had a 40 year run as of this year.
  • StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Message sent, only mine was for no more presidents, bring back Liberty (and some art and beauty) and dump the dollar bill...the one dollar bill is a huge waste of money.

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's good to see more women posting, even if they do seem to use the ostrich image

As for the dollar coin.....no...no presidential coin. I do NOT want to see that scumbag Clinton if I can help it.

Maybe put Sam Kinison or Madonna or Janet Jackson (there we go.....have Janet in the SLQ pose showing breast!) or someone that is more interesting to look at than the presidents!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Right on!!!!!!!!!
  • BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭
    Make sure you tell them to get rid of the dollar bill.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's good to see more women posting, even if they do seem to use the ostrich >>

I beg your pardon, that is a Stork not an ostrich image

Dumping the $1 bill would be a good first step in making a $1 coin mainstream. I'm living in Japan and the coins go from 1, 5, 10, 50, 100 and 500 yen (around $4.75 with the exchange rate), with bills for 1000, 5000 and 10,000 yen. I use both dollars and yen, and I found I much prefered the coins to shoving more rumpled up ones into my wallet.

Thanks for the email link for writing my congressman by the way.

Cathy

• no...no presidential coin. I do NOT want to see that scumbag Clinton if I can help it.

If we go to that degree, why not a Joe Walsh commem? Or better yet, a Tomothy Leary special edition. Hell, let's go for broke with the Arnold Schwartzenegar California 1/2 dollar gold piece!!

I love the new Jeffs by the way. The hand clasp between the French and US... finally an agreement that it's better to strike a golf ball with a club than an axe. I just don't understand what the LI. purchase has to do with it. image
    The Rede we live by: If it harms none, do what you will.
  • NoGvmntNoGvmnt Posts: 1,126
    "NO MORE DEAD PRESIDENTS FOR ME" (Corrupt, selfserving miscreants).

Lets petition for coins that are inscribed on their obverses with our Constitutional Rights, maybe they will work on corrupt politicians and court personnel like holy water works on satanic demons.

Jim
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    If I was to write my Congressman and Senator about it it would be to ask for them to vote against it. I'd be sure to use that Washington quote posted earlier

"I am certain it will be more agreeable to the citizens of the United States to see the head of Liberty on their coin, than the head of presidents." -George Washington

And point out that eliminating the dollar note would cause the success of the golden dollar with no design change required.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file