Nicest toned Oregon I have ever seen

amazing

Comments

• RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    Tonecoin2003?

Russ, NCNE
  • XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    Link

I'd like to see it in person. It sure looks AT. Maybe the photo is tweaked?
  • jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178

<< <i>Tonecoin2003? >>

doh! image
    Well, he is getting better. image

Russ, NCNE
  • byergobyergo Posts: 586
    This is one amazing, amazing coin!
    Buy/Sell/Trade Rainbow Morgans
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    PCGS graded Mint State 67 image
    If I sent it in I would get a bb.
  • GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    I own an 1926 Oregon MS65 and can tell you that this one dodn't get toned by itself!
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    Oregon. PCGS graded Mint State 67. Superb!
    Minimum Bid $5,200.00

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Will PCGS buy the coin back? imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • I was going to start a thread on this coin asking when is to much to much? I like toning but this one is just too much. Looks like the Easter eggs I use to color as a kid when you would dunk the eggs in the color floating on the water trying to swirl the egg around to pick up as much color as possible. I do not like this coin AT or NT.
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is your Oregon commemorative after you've taken too much orange sunshine!
  • dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    Color or no color, I think the Oregon is one of the prettiest designs of the whole series.

dragon
  • ArtRArtR Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
    Superior at times can over tweak a color coin. One more thing that coin looks very much like the one Mike DeFalco had on his site.
    If It doesn't have great eye appeal, I don't want it.
  • MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    AT
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    the catalog has the colors tweaked even more than that photo.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the number of carbon specs visible there is no way that coin merits an MS67.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • nOoBiEeEnOoBiEeE Posts: 1,011 ✭✭
    I agree that the design is simply amazing but when I look at it, a little warning flashes in my head. I am sure that in person it looks different as the colors seemed to have been "adjusted".
  • ToneloverTonelover Posts: 1,554

<< <i>One more thing that coin looks very much like the one Mike DeFalco had on his site. >>

This one? Definitely the same coin

• NICE.....

coconut
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    I think that is 100% original toning and absolutely STUNNING! The $5200 price will rise...I'll guess $8200.image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003

<< <i>This one? Definitely the same coin >>

In DeFalco's image the colors look much more natural.

Russ, NCNE
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I just got my Santa Clara catalog and this coin sure caught my eye! mike image
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭
    I viewed the Oregon in person, yesterday. While the color is not as florescent as in the catalog or images posted, it IS as beautiful AND, in my opinion, at least, unquestionably original.

I predict that it will bring a five figure price (as in more than $9999.99) - if it does not, I will be buying it.image
  • I predict that it will bring a five figure price (as in more than $9999.99) - if it does not, I will be buying it.

A definite positive not being as florescent as pic. I guess you've sinched a price > $9999.99
  • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭
    good update, Mr. Feldini......
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I, too, have seen the coin in person at the Portland show. As Feldini said, the coin is every bit as attractive as the catalog and online images make it out to be. I won't vouch for its technical grade, because it is irrelevant compared to the coin's overall eye appeal. And, it will be the eye appeal that will drive the coin's pricing.

As for its technical grade, I will say that the coin is very lustrous with very clean surfaces. The coin certainly merits technical consideration for SUPERB GEM status.

I would like to take this opportunity to caution the membership against micro-grading. For those who don't know, micro-grading is the practice of looking at a single aspect of a coin and then assessing a grade based solely on that single aspect. A coin's grade is in practice a composite grade of FOUR factors: luster, eye appeal, marks and strike.

I also would like to caution against the practice of trying to definitively assert a grade off an image; there's just no real chance of 100% faithfully capturing a 3D object into a 2D object.

And, those who try to micro-grade off a 2D image is really trying to teach himself the absolute wrong way to grade.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭
    Must be NT its in a PCGS holder.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • HadleydogHadleydog Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭
    Guess I'm in the minority on this one as I think it is not only beautiful, but natural as well. It certainly helps it's credibility that Mike had it at one time.

<< <i>I predict that it will bring a five figure price (as in more than $9999.99) >>

I predict $18,000.

Russ, NCNE
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to take this opportunity to caution the membership against micro-grading. For those who don't know, micro-grading is the practice of looking at a single aspect of a coin and then assessing a grade based solely on that single aspect.

EVP,

Thank you for the warning. I tend to be guilty of this myself, but in a slightly different way. Instead of grading from one of the four aspects, I have a tendency to ignore one of the four (usually luster, sometimes strike), usually the one that is the greatest liability. My grades tend to get fudged upward.

Robert
  • TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    That is Mikes old coin. There was a previous thread on it.
  • ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    As Feldini said,

good update, Mr. Feldini......

Gosh darn it, it's Feld-o-lini you guys (and gals). Saint Feldolini. image

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • jomjom Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>One more thing that coin looks very much like the one Mike DeFalco had on his site. >>

Yup, and I know people who've known this coin for years and it has NOT changed it's color. Therefore, one could conclude it is original color.

Bill Jones and Coinguy have it correct....

jom
  • I was at Santa Clara today and saw this piece. The colors are that vivid, from any angle. gorgeous. I thought the lady said the bidding was at 20K this afternoon.

<< <i>I thought the lady said the bidding was at 20K this afternoon. >>

Their site currently shows zero bids.

Russ, NCNE
  • BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    Why dont all the Forum Members pool our money and buy the coin.

Then based on how much we have contributed, we will be given time shares

to actually hold the coin. Based upon such number of shares, will be each persons

portion of the money, when the coin is resold for a gazillion dollars.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Astounding ... I don't even collect Commems, as a rule, but I do have a nice slabbed MS-66 Oregon because I love the Frasers' design so. Texas is perhaps my second favorite.
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    I don't like it and I wouldn't be too keen to pay a premium (perhaps 'premium' is an understatement when we are talking about $18,000) for NT that looks like AT.

Sorry,

Union

Looks like it hammered down at $55,000.00

I guess my estimate of $18,000 was a little low. image

Russ, NCNE
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $69,000 to be exact. image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    Color me amazed.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • BustmanBustman Posts: 1,911
    That is a truly amazing hammer price. Makes me feel a bit better about some of the coins I have stretched for.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file