Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Is it time for a Medallic Forum?

Hi All, It has become painfully apparent that perhaps PCGS should consider creating a Medallic Forum as an off-shoot to this forum. I believe we have as many medal collectors here now as we had for the entire W&A a year ago when I started coming here. With the influx of new members having primarily numismatic interest (btw, welcome)our little board is becoming quite active and I presume it will get even busier in the near future.

I would like to see medal collectors have the opportunity to display and discuss the art and history of this "exonumia" direction within their own forum. In fairness to the art, this forum should exemplify the medallic art from both the World and U.S. views and examples.

What does everyone else think?

Comments

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We really already have a token and medal forum but lack the interest to use it. It would
    be great if we did since it would draw in a few people who collect only such items and it
    would bring us a little closer to other collectors at this site.

It would be a veritable universe of collectors.image
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭

<< <i>We really already have a token and medal forum... >>

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    We really already have a token and medal forum but lack the interest to use it.

And where is this forum located?image You're not talking about gereral collectibles forum, are you?
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    Yes! The GCD has been tried for a token and medal forum but few came. It is
    now mostly populated by a bunch of filthy cheaters.image"Appalling. Absolutely appalling!"
    Just an inside joke, of course.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Oh, and thank-you.

ttt
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    imageimageimageimageimage new forum!
    I don't collect medals myself, but I enjoy seeing all the beauties posted here, and I don't really have the time to start watching another forum, so I repeat:imageimageimageimageimage new forum.
    Roy

• Options
    ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    Yes, I like seeing the medals here. It's not like the Dark Side forum is too busy to accomodate the traffic.

I think if you have a forum just for medals, you will actually get less exposure for them.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Perhaps a post here could denote medallic content for those who don't want to plow through coin related material.

The general collectibles forum might not be a bad idea though...quick renaming and we're all set. It wouldn't be too much effort to read through or participate in another forum-I doubt the level of activity would be enough to make it difficult to participate on a regular basis.

One of the things I like about the W & A forum is that it mixes up medals, tokens, coins, NCLT, etc.; it's that very diversity that appeals to me. Scott, you must have some pretty firm ideas as to why you think a medallic forum could and should work. What are they in detail?
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    I personally would still participate in both forums, if a medallic forum were created. My experience with medals is that they are often not interesting to folks of a "numis" vs "exonumis" bent. I like them both but the conversation is often quite different between medal collectors than coin collectors. I am capable of switching back and forth between these complex languages... image ... uh ... what were we talking about...
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    Scott - I agree with satootoko - I like being able to look at your Goetz medals and some of the other medals posted by forum members. A new forum would take away form that, so; please keep posting them here.
    Shep
  • Options
    There is no reason not to post tokens and medals to this forum. It's obvious that they
    are greatly appreciated here and many are posted. There is even some interest even on
    the light side forum and they do occasionally get posted over there. If there were a far-
    side forum there would still be no reason not to post interesting items here, but it would
    draw in collectors whose only interest is medals &/or tokens so there would be more col-
    lectors, and more items being posted. I visit four of these forums on a regular basis and
    several others on occasion. I maintain an icon for each of the four I visit regularly and don't
    notice much time being consumed going from one to another. Indeed this is usually a fast-
    er download than goindg from page to page or to reply and post.

...But if the collectors here won't use such a forum it has little chance of success without ad-
    vertising or promotion since most of the interest in these items is here in this forum.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    I must agree with the majority here - I love the medals posted and would be very unhappy to have to chase them down in another forum... please keep posting them here!!!!!
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<If there were a far-side forum there would>>

Does that make medals farside??

My two cents worth...I like looking at the medals here. Mentally, I lump them together in a 'non-liteside' category and I enjoy the variety.

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    I don't collect tokens and medals myself, but I've enjoyed looking at those posted by others. Keep it here.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.