Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I'm Not 100% on What I've Got Here. . .

Ok, I'll be honest: I'm not even 10% sure what I've got here!
I could use a little help on exactly what this is:
I sent it to PCI hoping to get additional information but, as you can see, they were kind of sketchy on the insert.

Anyone?

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    Coronation Medal???????? Gorbeous too. Too bad about the holeimage
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    Great design. I really like that. Unfortunately, I can't tell you anything about it.

Don't worry about coming over and asking questions, Braddick. That's how I got here.

Things like this medal of yours (whatever it is) are interesting and stir discussion.

On your other thread--I am sure one of the resident Brit experts will be along to help you out there.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    Can you make out the name of the engraver on Vicky's shoulder?

Nice medal! image
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Have seen this in the past and believe it is a UNA medal. image
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can you make out the name of the engraver on Vicky's shoulder?

Nice medal! image >>

Possibly, "P R O T I A R A" but I'm not sure on some of those letters.... (probably not much help there-).

It's thick enough that the holder is slightly cracked at the high point of the design.

I was also hoping the hole was used for suspension and part of the minting process.

Edited to add:
    The initials on the obverse, to the right of the lion are: L.C. WVON

peacockcoins

• Options
    Cool, I'll look them up in Forrer when I get home. Wyon of course is probably one of the younger sons of the great British family of engravers...
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Awesome medal, Braddick! Quite possibility a coronation medal by Wyon.

If you don't like it, there's a great probability LoweredMinivan will offer to take it off your hands.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I think PCI would slab a Ritz cracker!

None the less that is a great medal!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    Very attractive, I don't really know anything about it though.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭

Here is the Royal Mint issue Coronation medal by Pistrucci from 1838. Can't shed any light on your India medal though I doubt it's before 1860 as L.C. Wyon (Leonard Charles) wasn't born until 1826.

Please forgive the image above, but it was done without the usual lighting....time to reimage, I s'pose.
  • Options
    Leonard Charles Wyon, eldest son of William Wyon, born in one of the residences connected with the Royal Mint in 1826, died in 1891. Was the principal engraver for British military and naval medals issued between 1851 and 1891 and his earliest known work (according to Forrer) was at age 16 in 1843. He also prepared some of the designs and many of the dies for nearly all of the British Empire coinage, as well as home country and foreign countries. His Forrer entry is over 35 pages long when the average is five engravers to a page!

It's an outside chance that if that 1858 is accurate that it's the Indian Mutiny Medal; LC is listed as having produced the reverse of that medal only. And it's the only listed medal for LC Wyon with that date and India in combination. Pretty cool if true... image

I can't find a Protiara listed. If you are sure of that spelling there's probably not much more I can figure out from Forrer... image
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    Looks like a British military medal to me. If so probably worth a few hundred.
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭

<< <i>I think PCI would slab a Ritz cracker! >>

• Options
    I found this image on the medalcollectors.com forum on a thread about the India Mutiny medal and this was shown as an example:

It would certainly seem to be the same reverse (or obverse) at least...
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like a British military medal that has been parted from its ribbon. I believe that this was the time of the Sepoy? mutiny.
    All glory is fleeting.