Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Two more MONSTER Heritage Retail Breaks

Ive been checking the local target for a week now. Finally they had two of the 29.99 boxes...they
look different than the ones from walmart so I was a bit hesitant, but of course I caved in...Im glad I
did:

Box 1

11 SP's incl Nomar
3 inserts
1 Chrome Edwin Jackson
1 Retrofractor Arod!
Brett Myers Jersey

Box 2

13 SP's incl Piazza and Jeter
2 chromes
3 inserts
Glaus Jersey
Dave Johnson Auto

The GU, auto and chromes were all in the same pack. Amazing!

Kevin

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kevin
    You know St. Patty's day is nearing and you have the luck of the Irish - I pulled a third black chrome - sent one to Chris; the last one is K. Ballouli 21/55 - value?
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Mike

I have opened over 150 packs now and have yet to pull a black refractor. Ballouli is a rookie so that is
    a nice pull. The rookies will book very nicely. The three most sought after black refractors will
    be Sung Jung, David Murphy and Dioner Navarro. Are you going to rip anymore? I pulled a pack
    today that had two SP's, one Jersey and one auto in it. WOW, these retail boxes are amazing

Kevin
  • Options
    Target is the only place I've been able to find these retail boxes. I've gotten 3 so far and got over an SP per pack. I've checked 4 Targets and only 2 of them have had them. It's gotten so bad that I've got my Mom back in Pittsburgh checking their Targets for me. She actually did find a box today.

Steve
  • Options
    ranchranch Posts: 341
    Man! This board is starting to remind me of the Buy Sell & Trade board, with people like Joestalin, Stone193, KallMaloneSay telling us how they went to Walmart to buy a box of modern cards...what they pulled...how much it costs...and so on...

Guys, could you do us a favor? Please post all your childish cr@p here.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Kevin
    There's a Walmart near the house with a full box of open packs - so you don't get one extra - there's one partially full - I'm thinking of sending the boss - she owes me a favor - what do you think? I like the sealed retails better. By the way, with our extras - I'm working with John - I'll let you know how my set is doing - this one is a challenge with all those SP's!
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Ranch,

Here's a suggestion............If you don't like the subject, don't read the freaking post. Nice pic in your sig, there's nothing childish about that.

Stone,

The Heritage boxes with the loose packs will yeild about 1 SP every other pack, the same as the Hobby version. The gold seems to be in the sealed 29.99 boxes.

Steve
  • Options
    joestalin, nice pulls, just remember everytime you get better than stated odds someone else gets worse. Five retail boxes - 23 SP's, 1 lousy bat card, no autos, 1 refractor, and 3 chromes. The retail might be loaded in some areas but in other areas it is dead.
  • Options
    iupkid
    Thanx for the info - I was affraid of that, as I have been doing unbelievable with the retail boxes. I can understand how Ranch feels but as you said - a thread has a title and TWO speeds: ON and OFF; and I didn't know that someone else had some kind of privileged or special access to these boards. That is the last I will say on this issue but to Ranch if he wants to PM me his phone number, I will be more than happy to discuss how he can "educate" me. You know, opening packs, putting sets together is what I do - my vintage stuff is separate - this keeps you young - I thought discussing WHERE to access the cards is germane to collecting since the hobby version in my area has gone to 4-5$/pack.
    Mike
  • Options
    Ranch is just chapped because there won't be heritage hockey this year. I understand his pain.but Im
    over it.

Mike...I would wait on those loose packs, the sealed 29.99 boxes are the ones to get, Im not sure
    if they are all going to be like that or not, but we know they are like that now so get them while you
    can! The best thing is NO PACK SEARCHERS!!!!!!!!!!

cornholio....where do you live, those breaks sound painful. Perhaps this is a regional thing. Where are
    you buying them?

Kevin
  • Options
    Kevin, I live about 25 miles east of Atlanta. I really don't care much about the GU stuff, the frustrating part is the SP's. Of the measly 23 I pulled, 10 were duplicates!
    Brian
  • Options
    i've opened 2 boxes- 0 gu, 0 autos, 0 black, 1 chrome refractor (palmeiro, someone i collect), 2 inserts, few sps
  • Options

<< <i>Mike

I have opened over 150 packs now and have yet to pull a black refractor. Ballouli is a rookie so that is
    a nice pull. The rookies will book very nicely. The three most sought after black refractors will
    be Sung Jung, David Murphy and Dioner Navarro. Are you going to rip anymore? I pulled a pack
    today that had two SP's, one Jersey and one auto in it. WOW, these retail boxes are amazing

Kevin >>

After my one lucky retail box, I have had zero luck finding the $29.99 boxes. I have been to 2 other Targets and they only had opened boxes that are marked to sell individually. I tried my luck with 6 of those packs and I pulled:

3 SP's
    Richie Sexson Chrome
    Jeffrey Allison Chrome
    Sung Jung Retrofractor/555
    Flashback - Herb score

I didn't think that was that great until I saw Stalin say that Sung jung was one of the best prospects you could pull. Granted I didn't get the Black Refractor, it was still a decent pull I guess. Any guesses as what he may book at?

Hey Kevin - You don't want those cards I offered? The Podres Auto, Smoltz Relic, Sp's etc..? I was waiting for an email from you. I'll try again - Pedroks20@sbcglobal.net.

Basilone - if you are out there, your cards went out today.

TheRoach

7 MVP awards, the single season HR record, career walks record, single season walks record, 700HR/500SB, and two batting titles near 40 years old. How can one argue that those aren't stats of the greatest to ever play the game??? All this and there is still more to come!!!! Bonds:2005 NL MVP. Or are you going to doubt him again?
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    The Roach-

Thanks so much.....I wish I could find some of those $29.99 boxes....I just got stuck buying some of the regular retail packs (stay away...same odds as hobby packs)
  • Options
    I initially found 2 boxes of the $29.99 boxes at my closest Target. I hid one of them in the back of all the other boxes. I am going to see if it is still there in about 20 minutes. This was a few days ago, so I doubt it. I will let ya know a bit later.

TheRoach

7 MVP awards, the single season HR record, career walks record, single season walks record, 700HR/500SB, and two batting titles near 40 years old. How can one argue that those aren't stats of the greatest to ever play the game??? All this and there is still more to come!!!! Bonds:2005 NL MVP. Or are you going to doubt him again?
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    I got caught up in all the hype about these retail boxes. so i was at target with the wife and saw 2 29.99 boxes sitting there. so i bought them and putting them on ebay tonite.

box 1
    10 sp's
    1 tn #6
    1fb #f8
    dioner navarro rookie card
    3 retrofractor
    anthony acevedo #d 19/555 and 235/555 2 of his!!
    1 jeffery allison #d 521/555
    box 2
    9 sp's
    1tn #3
    1fb #f2
    2 retrofractor
    anthony lerew #d33/555
    estban loaiza #d125/555.

so are these loaded i guess so should turn a profit on ebay.
  • Options
    Chris
    Are you now going to put a set together? If not, I could use a few. By the way, does Topps manufacture for different vendors - the retail box I got at Walmart was a different shape than at Target - almost missed the one at Walmart - I know this is dumb.
    John
    thanx for your SP's - I will say in deference to Ranch I do sound like a swap shop right now.
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike
    which ones do you need. i am listing these on ebay. i just bought them to see the hype and see if i can flip a profit off them. but let me know who you need.
  • Options
    OK here is info that I have gathered so far:

Walmart...got these in over a week ago. Ive only seen packs at super walmarts, but I have seen
    packs and 2 29.99 boxes at regular stores......I think in my area each walmart got only two 29.99 boxes. I haven't
    seen any reloads in any of the stores.

Target....The two I have been to has gotten 3 boxes to sell as packs. The SP's are pulling 1:2 and
    I haven't pulled an auto from those packs yet. I also picked up 2 29.99 boxes, which were loaded
    much like the walmart boxes which yes are slightly smaller in size. Also make sure when you are
    looking because they kinda look like the 03 bow heritage boxes, so make sure you look around.

Kmart....Both Kmarts in this area are up to the wall in old products that haven't sold. Im not sure even
    if they had heritage in the back room they would put it out. Over the past years, each of the kmarts
    here have gotten in about 10 boxes each! Which is good for guys who haven't found it yet....now
    if these are loaded or not has yet to be seen, if so holy cow!

Jiffy/Gas Stations....haven't seen anything but most likely they will come out at 3.49 and will be just
    like hobby packs....no thanks apu!

If you have to cashe these away do so. Target usually cleans up real well but there are certain places
    on the shelves that are open and you can hide a box or two in there. Also check out there DVD and CD
    section, there are lots of hiding places. My favorite place in kmart is on the bottom of the pillow
    stacks! They can live there undisturbed for weeks!

I think if this set is a popular as before we will be seeing these retail boxes going for 50-60 bucks on the
    bay! Whats better than collecting your favorite set AND making a little profit at the same time?

Keep those pulls coming!

Kevin
  • Options
    Thanks for the info Kevin, I guess my boxes were an outlier. I'll buy some tomorrow, and hope for better luck this time. BTW, isn't the only way to get the DOUBLE HEADER cards needed for a true master set from hobby boxes?
    Brian
  • Options
    the jury is still out wether or not the master set will include the double header cards in it. They are
    nice but I could do without them....if I had to I would buy them cheap on ebay rather than buying
    hobby boxes. The original idea was to include some original 1955 double header cards in there
    but that fell through I guess.

Kevin
  • Options
    The pulls i listed earlier i wasnt aware that todd helton purple jersey was a sp. arod throwing posada and giambi stance. so add 4 more sp's to my pull!! funny i own a shop and you guys talked me into buying a retail a couple of retail boxes. i have to admit they are pretty loaded.
  • Options
    Cornholio - I am 20 miles west of Atlanta. I have yet to see vintage in Wal-Mart or Target. Maybe I will check again at lunch near Southlake Mall.
    Collecting vintage material, currently working on 1962 topps football set.
  • Options
    BigKidAtHeartBigKidAtHeart Posts: 1,799 ✭✭

<< <i>The pulls i listed earlier i wasnt aware that todd helton purple jersey was a sp. >>

are we SURE that the PURPLE jersey
    is the SP?
    I pulled 3 of them them in 2 boxes....
    and have not pulled ANY of the white jersey
    versions and I have opened 2 hobby boxes of 24 packs
    and 2 retail boxes of 24 packs
    imageimage
  • Options
    BKAH
    I was reading basilones post on another thread and it says purple jersey is sp. and on ebay they are listed as sp. so i guess they are.
  • Options
  • Options
    BKAH

Are you looking at the jersey in the background or the foreground? The jersey in the foreground
    is always purple, the short print has the small picture wearing a purple jersey.

Kevin
  • Options
    BigKidAtHeartBigKidAtHeart Posts: 1,799 ✭✭

<< <i>BKAH

Are you looking at the jersey in the background or the foreground? The jersey in the foreground
    is always purple, the short print has the small picture wearing a purple jersey.

Kevin >>

ok,
    is that confusing enough!?!

you are right.
    I was not looking at the right picture!
    (so I have only one SP)

but hey, I can hardly keep these SPs straight....
    the high numbers...
    some stars....
    certain poses of little pics....
    certain shirt colors of little pics......
    old logos on some cards.....
    new logos on others......
    aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaeeeeeeeeeegggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!
    this is tough!! (but fun)

DAMN you Joestalin! My wife is really ticked at you!
    because YOU started this stuff with all this
    excitement about the heritage....
    Now I am having to bust boxes to do the set!
    (basic - not master.... that is toooooo much for me!)

anyway, your name is MUDD right now
    because I told my wife it is YOUR fault I had to buy all these cards!!!

imageimage
  • Options
    by basic you mean all the short prints too? If not I could probably provide you with the rest
    of the base set (no sp's). If you are attempting the set then I would suggest the retail boxes
    you can tell your wife they are less expensive! LOL It would only take one key auto to pay
    for the set. Good Luck and let is know if we can help.

Kevin
  • Options
    KnopflerKnopfler Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    OK, I went and did it. I bought a box of Topps Heritage. It was the only one left at the Target by my work. These are the first unopened packs I have bought in 12+ years (with the exception of a few that I picked up on Ebay). Can't open them until tonight though. I hope to have the luck most of you have had.
  • Options
    man I could never sit on unopened packs for very long..sometimes I don't even make it to my car
    before they are opened. I hope you pull something nice and lookout for the very thick packs that
    deliver great cards!

Kevin
  • Options
    Knopfler
    Good luck - you don't have to have any fear after 12+ years!! IT'S LIKE RIDING A BICYCLE!!! Headed to Targets right this minute - was tempted to buy the open boxes at Walmart - didn't - I really like this set - very good design and the black chromes are sharp! See ya,
    Mikeimage
    Mike
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Joe, the only reason I'm not opening them now is because I had to come back to work. I'm pretty anxious though to get started though!
  • Options
    SlipKnot515SlipKnot515 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭
    I've bought two of these boxes...pulled some nice stuff, including a Berra seat card (eh...), Chrome Piazza, Retro Ivan, Real One Frank Smith auto, and a Chrome Dioner Navarro (Who..?). I also had one more retro but the name of the guy escapes me right now.
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    It's been a while since I've ripped a box, even an 11-pack box, so when I found myself at Target today, I had to check their boxes and found 2 Heritage boxes. As a side note, this Target has a better selection of hockey than any card shop in town. Anyway, I only bought one box. One was sealed and the other had the shrinkwrap removed and the side flap pulled halfway open. I took the sealed one home. It was pretty nice, so I went back and took the chance on the other, which was loaded, too. I got:

Box 1
    Piazza Refractor 555
    R. Nolcasco Chrome 1955
    Newcombe Flashbacks, Ichiro New Age, Snider/Delgado T&N
    19 SP's

Box 2
    Zito, D. Willis, & S. Green Chrome 1955
    Glaus Clubhouse Collection jersey
    Roberts Flashbacks
    19 SP's

I tried to use the power of positive visualization (chanting "MusialAutoMusialAutoMusialAuto" before opening each pack), but I got no black refs, and no autos image

The weirdest thing is that in the first box, I got between 1 and 3 SPs in each pack, but I ended up with 7 doubles among those 19 SPs. Several times I got 2 of the same SP in the same pack. And there were 4 more doubles between the 2 boxes.

I wasn't really planning on building this set, but now that I'm about 28 SPs and $80 into it, I think I'm in too deep to just forego it. I think I might have to hit the other Targets and Wal-Marts around that have usually been good about having cards.

Anyone want to trade? I've got these SPs for trade:
    #117 Burrell
    #123 Miner
    #213 Webb
    #429 Nevin
    #433 Labandeira
    #435 Delgado
    #436 Schilling
    #441 Crisp
    #455 Griffey (x2)
    #475 Renteria

The inserts, chromes and jersey are on the block as well.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    I had to get in on the fun. Bought a box today at Target.

SPs

#402 Anderson
    #403 Sleeth (2)
    #407 Martinez
    #419 Jordan
    #420 Podsednik
    #426 Mulder
    #439 Prior
    #452 Mora
    #467 Penny
    #361 Wagner (old logo)
    Also think i got the Zito and Helton SP's have to check.

Chromes #/1955
    #79 Kylie Davis
    #86 Donald Levinski

Refractors #/555
    #22 Pedro Martinez

New Age
    #2 Ichiro
    #3 Rodriguez

Then Now
    #TN2 Pujols Kaline

Flashback
    #7 Killebrew
    #8 Score

If anyone needs some help filling in a set send me an email. I'm just working on getting most of the Cardinal players so i have a lot of cards available. Ben
    #101 Cliff Floyd

• Options
    Picked up three more boxes on the way home. This may be a dumb question, but keep in mind that I've been strictly vintage for the past 10 years. I got some chromes, some new ages, a then and now, and a game used (Mike Sweeney yeah!). But what are the SP's? I thought SP meant short print and that meant they were numbered. Is that not correct? If it is correct, I did not get any SP's besides the chromes.

Bengineno -- I may be interested in trading Cardinals for Royals. Let me know.

Are these boxes regionalized. I got a Mike Sweeney Jersey card and I just got a Lou Limmer (KC Athletics) Auto card. In case my icon did not give it away, I live in KC. Coincidince?
  • Options
    Knopfler-

2004 Topps Heritage SP/Variation List

#1 Jim Thome - Variation "Fielding"
    #1 Jim Thome - Variation "Hitting" SP
    #2 Nomar Garciaparra - SP
    #4 Rafael Palmeiro - SP
    #8 Dmitri Young - Variation "New Logo"
    #8 Dmitri Young - Variation "Old Logo" SP
    #10 Jason Giambi - Variation "Swinging"
    #10 Jason Giambi - Variation "Batting Stance" SP
    #28 Sammy Sosa - SP
    #30 Adam Dunn - Variation "Fielding"
    #30 Adam Dunn - Variation "Hitting" SP
    #40 Chipper Jones - Variation "Pointing"
    #40 Chipper Jones - Variation "Fielding" SP
    #47 Gary Sheffield - SP
    #49 Jason Kendall - Variation "New Logo"
    #49 Jason Kendall - Variation "Old Logo" SP
    #50 Ichiro - SP
    #60 Magglio Ordonez - Variation "Running"
    #60 Magglio Ordonez - Variation "Hitting" SP
    #70 Todd Helton - Variation "White Jersey"
    #70 Todd Helton - Variation "Purple Jersey" SP
    #85 Rodney Choy Foo - Variation "New Logo"
    #85 Rodney Choy Foo - Variation "Old Logo" SP
    #92 Matt Creighton RC - SP
    #100 Alex Rodriguez - Variation "Hitting"
    #100 Alex Rodriguez - Variation "Throwing" SP
    #117 Pat Burrell - Variation "Old Logo" SP
    #117 Pat Burrell - Variation "New Logo"
    #120 Frank Thomas - Variation "Old Logo" SP
    #120 Frank Thomas - Variation "New Logo"
    #123 Zach Miner RC - SP
    #124 Matt Moses RC - SP
    #164 Zach Duke RC - SP
    #180 Manny Ramirez - Variation "New Logo"
    #180 Manny Ramirez - Variation "Old Logo" SP
    #182 Moises Alou - Variation "New Logo"
    #182 Moises Alou - Variation "Old Logo" SP
    #194 Rich Aurilia - SP
    #198 Jorge Posada - SP
    #200 Albert Pujols - Variation "New Logo"
    #200 Albert Pujols - Variation "Old Logo" SP
    #210 Shawn Green - SP
    #213 Brandon Webb - Variation "Glove on Chest"
    #213 Brandon Webb - Variation "Glove in Air" SP
    #250 Alfonso Soriano - Variation "Throwing"
    #250 Alfonso Soriano - Variation "Fielding" SP
    #311 Jay Gibbons - Variation "New Logo"
    #311 Jay Gibbons - Variation "Old Logo" SP
    #342 Barry Zito - Variation "White Jersey"
    #342 Barry Zito - Variation "Green Jersey" SP
    #361 Ryan Wagner - Variation "New Logo"
    #361 Ryan Wagner - Variation "Old Logo" SP

Card #'s 398-475 are all SP.
  • Options
    Jeez!! Thanks for the info Basilone. I guess I'll be going back through them!
  • Options
    Here is an update list of cards I need (updated):

NONE...

MASTER SET COMPLETED
  • Options
    Helionaut...Ironic that you pulled a Glaus..oh well, still 19 sp's is huge! Even if you got 2 bucks for
    them (and many of them will book 10-15) you would STILL get your money back!

Knopfler...welcome to the club! Is the auto for trade? LMK

I was horrified to hear about one of the retail boxes being opened...If pack searchers get wind
    that there is usually a "hot" pack in the boxes and star opening them up, it will take all the fun
    out of it! I have seen some skybox basketball retail boxes with the wrapping missing on the
    bottom..you have to check these carefully! Back in 2001 someone was going around buying
    all the retail boxes, taking them home, raping them and then wrapping them back up sans
    autographs. I wish I could find one of these jerks and wait for him outside! oh well

Check the wrap carefully, the GU's can be sniffed out but the autos can't. From what I have
    seen there is usually one pack that is more full than all the others, that is the money pack.

Lets get trading!

Kevin
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    STALIN - I ripped open a few packs as as well, guess what jersey card I got? ...jay
  • Options
    Hey guys please check out my post on the trading forum
    Trading Sp's and inserts for 2004 Topps Heritage

Brian
  • Options
    Cornholio,

I've got #470 that you need. Would you be will to trade it for #10? I've also got NAP 10&15. I'd trade those two for NAP 3&12. LMK what you think.

Steve
  • Options
    Brian

I sent you an email...you are actually better off here than the trade board, I don't think
    anyone over there opens this stuff.

Kevin
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭
    I think all this Heritage talk on the boards is great! I agree
    with Stone193 - opening packs keeps you young & brings back memories
    of opening packs as a kid. I bought a 29.99 box at my local Meijer's
    last week. When I got home I noticed they overcharged me two bucks n'
    change, so I took the short drive to get my money back. The cool part
    is that here in Michigan they have a scanner law, and thanks to that
    I got back an extra $5 on top of the overcharge. One little victory
    for the small guy! image
    Today I was shopping at the same Meijer's, saw another box, and they
    overcharged me again. As long as their going to keep giving me this
    $5 discount, I'll be doing my Heritage buying at my local Meijer's!

First box yielded a Fred McGriff bat card, the Warren Spahn seat card,
    & a Bagwell refractor. 2nd box had an Andruw Jones refr., and another
    Spahn seat card. I haven't had time to look over the list of SP's and
    see how I did on those. Not sure if I'm going to build the set...

One question: the 2nd box had the 4th checklist, and it was on really
    thick cardboard, much like the GU cards. Are these checklists hard to
    find?
  • Options
    No, i still haven't pulled an auto image I have pulled a few GU though, Torii Hunter bat, Rocco Baldelli jersey, and Kazuhisa Ishii jersey

Kevin, email reply sent,

Brian
  • Options
    CW, I've gotten about 1 in each retail box. I guess they try to throw pack feeler's off, I always get excited when the pack is really thick but then it turns out to be a CL!
    Brian
  • Options
    I wouldnt think the checklists are too tough. I got all four in just the 10 packs I opened.

I wonder if they are put there to throw the cheaters off track?

Keith
  • Options
    Steve, pm sent
  • Options

<< <i>I agree
    with Stone193 - opening packs keeps you young & brings back memories
    of opening packs as a kid. >>

CW - you have gotten some really great pulls - although I have a pretty extensive vintage collection from cards to bats, vending machine, unopened wax, vending cases, etc., I put a base set of topps together every year along with a selected set like heritage e.g. I posted a thread about chasing illusive items like the 92UD homerun heroes but between this and the starting lineups that drove my wife crazy because everywhere we travelled, I had to stop and hunt - wouldn't trade it for the world - probably lost more in GAS! Thanx for the vote of confidence - I know this is not the trade board - but then again, if it is interesting and loosely related, who's keeping score. After all, didn't I read a thread here about Giambi and steroids? What does that have to do DIRECTLY with sports cards and memorabilia - my point is, no big deal, if you feel like talking - do it - if no one is interested, they won't respond.
    What do you think?
    Mikeimage
    Mike