Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Best and worst unopened stories

I'd love to hear from the board's best and worst stories about their own experience of opening packs/boxes/cases. I'll start with mine.

Best: Halloween, 1960 - I got a 1 cent 1960 Topps pack thrown into my bag along with the candy and apples and other junk. I opened it that night and it was a 1960 Topps Mantle #350. Still have it.

Worst: Opened a 1985 vending box and you know those 1 or 2 cards that are always laid flat on top and nicely creased from being folded over the other cards? Yup, a McQwire rookie.
Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

Comments

• lommerlommer Posts: 160 ✭✭
    Worst:
    Recently cracked open a $325 1978 Baseball vending box, graded GAI 9 mint, in hopes of finding a few gems. I submitted a grand total of 4 worthy cards to PSA: 1 Yount and 3 commons. They were checked in a few days ago... waiting for grades

Chad
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    In 1987 a 1985 topps box that was loaded, perfect color etc, went back in and asked guy for another u guessed it a dud, taken from a different case. guy was the sleaze ball jailed a few yrs back danny ducheck master forger (or so he thought) used a felt tip pen to forge Babe Ruth's auto.....he is (or was) in jail for that stuff as the FBI closed him and his sleeze ball cohorts down. I also would have to include the times as a kid when I in 1965 opened many packs and they were all great!
    Good for you.
  • VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭
    About 3 weeks ago, I ripped through a wax box of 1982 Fleer in search of two cards. Unfortunately, the box yielded neither of those cards. image

But, I did pull a nice Ripken rookie. It's at PSA right now. Hopefully it will pay for at least half of my cost on the box.

JEB.
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭✭
    A few years ago when Jaromir Jagr was still good, I noticed there were no PSA 10 Jagr Pro Set rookies. I bought three boxes on eBay for next to nothing, submitted 5 Jagrs and got back 4 10's and an 8. I sold three of the 10's, kept one, and made a tidy $225 profit on the deal.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    I caught some pack ripping fever from this board the last few days so I sat down yesterday with a few to open......77-78 Topps BKB , the 1st card was Jabbar #1, 2bd card was Parrish RC, there was also a JoJO White & McAdoo card in the pack. '78 Topps FB, all cards were cupped (wet at some point?) and nobody worth looking twice at. The 77 pack was great fun though, all 4 of those cards are going to PSA in my 1st modern submission.

Dave
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Best: (it was actually my brother) back in 1986, he bought a pack of 86-87 Fleer Basketball for 50 cents. Jordan was in it and unlike the Montana rookie he so treasured back in 81 (and stuck it in his pockets whereever he went), he actually kept it in a screwdown. Submitted it a few years ago and it came back an 8OC. Sold it and used the money to buy a PSA 8 set of them.

Worst: Almost anything modern that I've purchased in the past few years. I get some nice looking cards every once in a while, but nothing beats good ol 'vintage' cards!
  • Best: A few years ago I noticed on my 1966 Philly football pack that the seal had finally come apart so I decided to open the pack. First 2 cards were damaged by the gum, third card down was a Jim Brown. I sent it to PSA and it came back an 8!

Worst: Paid some big $$ for a 1977 topps baseball vending box, total dud, every card in the entire box had 1 or 2 corners bent. Not one card worth getting graded.

Mike
  • AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd love to hear from the board's best and worst stories about their own experience of opening packs/boxes/cases. I'll start with mine.

Best: Halloween, 1960 - I got a 1 cent 1960 Topps pack thrown into my bag along with the candy and apples and other junk. I opened it that night and it was a 1960 Topps Mantle #350. Still have it.

Worst: Opened a 1985 vending box and you know those 1 or 2 cards that are always laid flat on top and nicely creased from being folded over the other cards? Yup, a McQwire rookie. >>

Yikes, really? The irony is, you would have been much better off keeping that penny pack unopened. 1960 is the toughest penny pack around, and sells for more than anything but '52 and '53. Did you keep the wrapper? Even that is worth a lot.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    joe - yeah, thanks for reminding me; I discovered the value of that unopened pack many years after a 10 year old kid (me!), bleary eyed from being up too late on a Halloween night, ripped into that pack and tossed the wrapper.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I too got burned on a 77 vending box once. I think I was in the hole about $400 after everything. That's the last time I'll buy one of those.

My best open was a 1980 vending case that I bought from Mark Murphy. It produced 10 PSA 9 Hendersons, a Brett PSA 10 (I believe it's the one that Rob had in his set), plus a few other star in PSA 10.

My best set purchase was a 1975 Topps set on Ebay (about 9 months ago). The seller stated that is was primarily from racks so I hit the BIN at $475. It was gorgeous. It produced a Yount 9, Rose 9, Winfield 9, Brett 8, Ryan/Carkton 9, Stargell 9, McCovey 9, tons of low pop 9's, plus a ton other stuff that I forget. I think I came out to about $4000+ on that set. If I could find those more often, I would sit on my lazy butt all day and look at cards for living.
  • ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    Have broken out 4 1967 cello series I packs in the past 2+ years. Have yielded a 10 Oliva, several 9's and a handful of 8's. However, also spit out 3 heartbreakers--8OC in #1 Champs, #3 Sims, and a #2 Hamilton that got a 7 (due to centering--could've been 8OC). One cello pack had not been GAI graded, and that yielded an 8 Kaline.
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • purelyPSApurelyPSA Posts: 712 ✭✭
    I bought a 74 Topps FB vend box for about 300 bucks. The seller shipped it to me inside one of the large size USPS boxes - the ones that are about the size of a 1000 piece puzzle box - without any padding or anything in it. Only the end cards were damaged though, and I thought I got it pretty cheaply, so I only chewed the seller out via email.

Then, I opened it - and every card back had part of another player's card on it. How does that happen? Every sheet was off. So there went my investment.
  • Halloween 1981, bought a Topps fun bag a Kmart. Inside were packs of hockey and Star Wars cards. After opening all the packs I had two Gretzy rookies, USA not OPC and 8, yes eight C3PO x-rated cards. I didn't realize what I had till many years later.

-Mike
  • joker73joker73 Posts: 497
    Best: recently getting a PSA 10 '80 Burger King Rose on a card that came out of a a $15 unopened box image.

Worst: during the '98 season, buying a "sealed" 1985 Topps 6-box rack case from one of the best-known unopened dealers in the country, and getting all of *3* McGwire rookies out of it (2 got 8s, and 1 would have been a 6 at best). After being repeatedly insulted for questioning the quality of the source for that particular case, I was out $2500 and my all my future business went elsewhere. Still pissed about that one ...

Robert
  • packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    joker that hurts! I remember buying a 3 box case in 96 for $100 and vending boxes for $12 each from boca cards. what a difference 2 years makes?
  • dunerduner Posts: 625
    worst...in '91 i traded a 1972 dr. j rookie and an 86 mj rookie for a box of 1991 leaf series 2.....talk about a dirtbag dealer taking advantage of a kid. and those two cards were easily ex/exmt condition too. to add insult to injury i didnt even get a bagwell gold leaf rookie either.

best....i've never in my life opened a good box, or even broken even. that's why i stopped buying them 10 years ago!!!!
    Duner a.k.a. THE LSUConnMan
    lsuconnman@yahoo.com

• Worst: I bought a GAI 9 1969 Fun Pack on ebay. Seller did not list that it contained one card. Knew I was taking a chance on getting off sport card. Decided to open it for the hell of it and pulled a bent "Man on the Moon" card. Gt rid of my 1969 set and decided to give wrapper to the buyer. At least the 1969 collector has a nice 1969 topps wrapper that they can display.

Almost best: Was in small farming town in mid west and stopped at an old tobacco shop. Inside there was inventory on the shelves from the 50's - 60's. I asked the old man behind the counter if he had any old baseball items in his basement that he never sold. He told me he had boxes of baseball cards that he has had for years and that he would sell me cheap. My heart raced as I when down into the basement looking for a famous "find". Turns out to be 1987 topps baseball. One case soaking wet! My heart broke, I had dreams of unopened 50's vintage. Oh well, can't win them all.

Glen
  • jaybyrdjaybyrd Posts: 377
    Glen - Everytime my friend and myself drive through the small country towns on the way to our fishing lake we always fantasize about the same thing that almost happened to you.

What a tremendous letdown it had to be when you thought you hit the jackpot and it turned out to be 1987 topps !!

Best - Got a McGwire and Eric Davis rookie out of the same pack back when Eric Davis was superhot.

Worst - Opening a 1986 Donruss box and getting 13 Ozzie Guillen rookies and no Jose Canseco or any other cards that even resembled a star or good rookie card.
    Collecting vintage material, currently working on 1962 topps football set.
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    best: won a $10 prize at a card shop that I used to get a pack of 2003 Leaf Certified baseball, which had a Roberto Alomar jersey card #12/12 (12 being his jersey number, and the swatch being in the shape of the numerals). Traded it for game-used cards of Willie Mays and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

worst: opened a sealed box of '89 Donruss straight from Smart & Final in 1989. [I know it hadn't been tampered with. I was there when the stock clerk brought out 2 sealed cases, slit them open, and started taking the boxes out. I bought 3 boxes.] EVERY pack was short several cards. The packs had from 8 to 12 cards in them, and averaged just over 10 cards each. Donruss customer service was entirely unhelpful and kept insisting that it could not have happened as I described. I eventually opened the other 2 boxes. Both of them had extra cards in many of the packs, but most of the cards from those packs had wear on the corners and edges because the wrappers were too tight.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • handymanhandyman Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My best was a 1970 topps high series wax pack. It was when I first said i was going to start a pre 1975 unopened wax pack collection when I was about 17 years old. Well one pack just didnt seem right in unopened form, so I did what was right and busted it. That would be the 1970 pack. It contained Pete Rose, Willie Mays, and a Seatle team card. The mays and Seatle card came back 8's. But the Rose card was a 50-50 Centered PSA 9! I sold it and I am going to find it again some day and pay whatever it takes to get it back. Worst would be a 1975 Mini box which had 0 brett rc's, but it did have 2 Robin Y. Rc., but not one Pete Rose cards. Im a huge Pete Rose fan is why I say that.
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Continuing with the '89 Donruss theme...

I bought a wax case (I know, I know) about three years ago, and managed to pull a total of five Griffeys. Another one to remember occured last year, when I bought a box of '84 fleer. Half the cards were creased(?), and what wasn't creased was off center.

I've had precious few good pulls, although I did once by a box of 2000 UD baseball and pulled a Griffey jersey, which at the time was ranked as the #1 hot card by Tuff Stuff.
  • Best: A 2002 Clemens UD Legends Auto Bat card in a pack bought at Target. Technically, my wife opened the pack, but she was happy when she realized what it was.
    2nd Best: The absolute very last pack of 89 Fleer that I opened had the Billy Ripken "Rick Face" card!!! Not that valuable now, but I lived near Baltimore and it was selling for $50 that summer.
    3rd Best: 1991 Topps Redemption mail-in Gold cards: The only decent card was a Cal Ripken

Worst: The entire summer of 1989 buying UD foil packs trying to get a Griffey. Finished a complete set but had to buy Griffey for $9.
    Working on 1975, 1977 Topps Baseball
    Also collect Ripken & cards of UNC Basketball players in UNC Uniform
    MSN Messenger: fins2left00@hotmail.com
  • Box of 1993 SP Football. Got 7 Drew Bledsoe. Held onto them for too long and they lost a lot of their value. Then they were stolen from me in a move from California to Virginia along with a lot of other valuable rookies. The Navy did reimburse, but only 20 percent of the total value of the loss.
  • Worst (and this is a good one).

I bought a box of 74 Wax about two years ago. All the packs looked good. I opened the first pack and it had 8 cards in it. I remember opening these as a kid and I don't remember any Topps pack having less than 10 or 12 cards. I checked the outside of the pack but there was no reference to the number of cards. I opened pack #2. This one had 10 cards in it. I was starting to get a little nervous. Out of the first two pack I think the best card was a Lou Brock. On to pack 3. I got about half way through the pack and guess what card showed up...........................

A 1977 World Series card. At least it was the one with Johnny Bench. What are the odds on that. Finding a 1977 Topps card in an 1974 unopened pack. It must have been a special insert of Future Wold Series Moments. After many emails I finally got the seller to give me his phone number. I called him and explained what happened. About two days later he sent me an email stating that he sold the box a few months ago, the buyer kept it for a few days and then returned. He must of swapped the packs. I do give credit to the seller because he apologized, refunded my money in full stating it was his problem and not mine.

Enjoy,
    Doug
    Looking for well centered 1958 topps baseball psa 8 and up. Also dying for a 70 Aaron All Star in PSA 9.
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bad: Opened a 1975 Topps Wax pack - all commons.

Good: Recently opened a box of 1994 Leaf Certified Rookies - Got an ARod. It graded a PSA 9

Shane

• gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    Thought I hit the jackpot when I found a 1969 vending box 1st series. 98% of the cards were all OC.
  • GolfcollectorGolfcollector Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭
    I opened a box of 2001 sp authentic golf and pulled around 40 autos. I even got my picture in the beckett mag for that one. Odds of pulling autos were 2 per box. I was getting 2-3 per pack in most packs.

Dave Johnson- Big Red Country-Nebraska
    Collector of Vintage Golf cards! Let me know what you might have.
  • Not too many good ones unfortunately, my best source for 70's era psa 8's and 9's has been raw sets, lots and singles from some select ebay and show sellers, and some lucky ebay purchases too.

Worst, was about 5 years ago or so when psa 9 '89 upper deck Griffeys were going for $300 or so, I bought a box and it actually yielded not one single beckett listed card. It was a box with every pack consisting of nothing but commons. Very strange, but it really appeared to be a legit box. It was one of my last ventures into modern cards.
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I opened a box of 2001 sp authentic golf and pulled around 40 autos. I even got my picture in the beckett mag for that one. Odds of pulling autos were 2 per box. I was getting 2-3 per pack in most packs. >>

I think that story rates a "Holy Crap!" image

Tabe
    www.tabe.nu
    figured I would bring a fun thread up again. was bored last night so I opened a 79 rack pack and got this. the glossiest and deepest color I have ever seen on this card without any print marks.
  • coachhcoachh Posts: 529
    That is a beautiful Ozzie. Let us know what it grades.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last year I went in to a K-Mart and picked up a box of variety packs on clearance for $9.99, just for fun because it had a 1987 topps pack in it, generally I hate new cards but to bring back memories of opening a 1987 pack I bought it, well needless to say I got all junk and threw it away EXCEPT for one card ....a $400.00 ICHIRO upper deck jersy auto card!...I sold it for $250.00....not bad huh!image
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great centering on the Ozzie. Looks like it should get a 9 or, dare I say, 10.
  • mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    $400 Ichiro jersey card that sold for $250 = $250 Ichiro jersey card.

Nice pull though.
  • goodriddance189goodriddance189 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭
    if the Good Dr. James Beckett says Ichiro is worth $400, then Ichiro is worth $400. just ask any modern collector.
  • mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    Then sell it to Dr. Beckett- otherwise, it's only worth what someone will pay you for it.
  • goodriddance189goodriddance189 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭
    i know i was being sarcastic.

Beckett followers live in a fantasy world, it's always fun when they discover the huge disparity between Beckett "values" and actual values
    Mudflap, why even throw that it?....The card booked for $400.00, what is your point?
    can't we all get along!!! I put a good thread back so that we can get more fun collecting stories and it turns into another battle . why can't we just collect cards and enjoy our hobby?
    Pack collector, I agree with you, Im not starting an argument, I just was adding to the thread, Im not saying mud flap was wrong or anything, I just simply put in my story and it just seemed like it was responded with an unecessary reply like I lied about the value of the card or something. If I took it the wrong way no big deal I apoligize.
  • magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Nice centering on that Oz Duncan. I still need one of those for my 79 raw set, just can't bring myself to tear open packs for it though.

Dave
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • brianwintersfanbrianwintersfan Posts: 3,626 ✭✭
    Sweet Ozzie!!! image
  • jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    BEST: In about 1988 I bought a searched and sorted box of 1987 Donruss. I knew they were searched, but there were about 2,000 cards and the guy only wanted $10. I didn't expect any stars, and didn't get any--at least by 1988 standards. The box sat largely untouched for ten years, and I decided to wander through it one day. Lo and behold there were ten Greg Maddux rookies in it! I still have them, although the best any of them would probably grade would be a 9 unless I get the grader of love.

WORST: In around 1985 I bought about six 1977 Topps packs, hoping for a Murphy rookie. I was pretty clueless at the time, so I thought nothing of the fact that the wax seal on the back came off so easily, and chalked it up to dumb luck that the biggest stars I got out of the whole deal were Tommy John and Gaylord Perry. image
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    That 79 Ozzie is sweet! Sell it to me, please! image

Funny this thread came back up now. Last night, I opened a 1977 Topps vending box I bought a few months ago. I was suprised at what I found - 2 Ryans (1 gradeable, a potential 9 ++), 2 Bench, 1 Murphy RC, 2 Brett (1 gradeable), 1 Ryan RB (not), 1 Yaz (a blazer!), and a ton of semi-stars. Problem is, including the Ryan, Brett, and Yaz I mentioned, I found a total of 16 cards to be gradeable (out of 500). That includes commons. Every time I open a vending box, I find corner dings on a large percentage of the cards, and in this box, a lot of seriously o/c cards. Still, nice to know the box was clearly not searched, and it was a blast to open.
  • Best recent open -- 64 HIgh number vending box from a Lelands auction. They are sweet. Corners are clean, gloss is great and no print marks of any kind. I would guess between 30% and 50% will 8 or better. The only problems with the rest are o/c. Good assortment but if the first card you see of any number is o/c then all the cards of that number will be o/c and if the first one is nice then they will all be well centered. I still have to get around to doing something with those someday.

Worst - Bought a 55 1 cent All American pack several years ago from a prominent dealer. Paid $200. Yep that does read "two hundred". I opened it because I would have paid twice that for the wrapper at the time. The wrapper was perfect not a nick, tear or worn spot. The card however would not have graded a three. All four corners were worn round and there were multiple creases. Fortunately, the gum was not damaged during any of the creasings and the gum matched the exact size and shape of '79 Topps BB. And all the other packs I had from the 50's had huge sticks of gum, fortunately this small piece was damaged during the abuse. Must of been some kind of futuristic gum size test pack.

Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Man it must be a bummer to sit and open a 64 Box !!! Very fun stuff Fuzz.
    I will bring the 89 Upper Deck's back. Was at my cousins wedding in 89, and my grandma's neighbor knew I collected and did shows. He asked me if I knew anything about the new UD, as he collected baseball odds and ends and had seen them. At the time they were selling for $50-60 a box. He then tells me the local 7-11 had boxes of them. We leave the wedding, hit the 7-1. They had 15 boxes. Got em for $28 each. Was told they could order me more. Got another 30 the following week, had a show the same weekend. Sold all of them except the few we opened for the Griffeys, which I think were moving for $12.
    Was a great turn around and for a small dealer, the 40 or so boxes of UD the hottest thing around, had many in awwe.

A bad one.....2001 Upper Deck Gold..Enough said !

Jeff
    Just Started The "63" Set In 8 & Up.
    All Help Is Needed And Apprciated!
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Best : 1967 Topps football pack picked up on eBay :
    Filled with what turned out to be all PSA 8's including a Namath. image

Worst : 1961 Fleer 1st Series football pack picked up on eBay :
    No insert, no gum, just a couple of 1st AND 2nd series EXMT O/C cards. Seller disappeared. image

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"

• Best - On my Birthday last year i opened four GAI 9 1972/73 Topps Hockey packs and out of the 40 cards inside 27 came back from PSA as ether a PSA 8 or 9.

Worst - I Opened a gem mint looking GAI 9 1971/72 Topps Hockey pack last year and every card in the pack had a top right corner ding! All the cards looked awesome but none were worth sending to PSA becouse of the ding.

Check out my new web site: Monsters of the Gridiron
    ctsoxfan, 16 out of a 77 box is pretty lowimage I have a bunch of 76-79 vending that I bought back in 1996 from boca cards in florida. I went through them then pulling the stars but then got out of the hobby for a while. I recently went through some of them and have averaged about 50 cards per box that were psa 9+ quality. I do have a bunch of those dreaded o/c 77 ryans . I think the key is to buy the vending that you know has come from a case. all the stuff I bought was right from cases and I did not experience the dinged corner incidents that occur when the box is dropped or stored incorrectlyimage

some more recent stories : after I sent off my last submission a few months ago , I opened some packs , 75 pack yielded a yount rookie and a 73 pack yielded a clemente o/c , brooks robinson , ryan leaders and bench leader card . those were nice packs. on the down side : opened a 68 baseball and got a clemente all star o/c came back psa 9 o/cimage and 4 68 football packs , 1 pack was water damaged and the other 3 yielded 4 gradable cards. pulled adderly (water stain ) twilley rookie o/c , jurgenson o/c and mel renfro. it was fun and I bought them cheapimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭✭
    Pack Collector,

What happened to the '79 Ozzie?
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."