Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

safe deposit box or your own safe?

Any tips or suggestions on safe deposit boxes or using your own safe, and also what kind of safe would you go with?

Comments

• Options
    What good are coins if you can't look at them! So buy a safe! Unless your coin collection is filled with coins that would make Trump Blush....then take 'em to the bank
    God I Love Indian Head Cents more than any other coin!
  • Options
    my feelings exactly now what type of safe to buy? if you get a fireproof even though your coins survive the fire they all come out toned becuase of the heat
  • Options
    Whatever safe you buy I have been told to keep the door open occaisionally (while your home).
    God I Love Indian Head Cents more than any other coin!
  • Options
    why is that?
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, keep plenty of silica gel inside the safe to absorb moisture--a big safe would be preferable... the heavier, the better... and bolt it down.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    I have an Elsafe (that's the brand name). I didn't buy it so I don't know how much they cost. It has a keypad where you punch in a 4 digit code and then it opens automatically. The bigger question is which is better, safe deposit box or safe. I am not entirely comfortable with high dollar coins in the safe even though it is in a locked room and anchored to the floor. On the other hand, I like to look at my coins.
    I'd rather be lucky than good.
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Please do not buy any of the heat resistant safes you find on the market in dept. stores or office product stores to protect your coins. Back around 1980 when silver prices peaked I was managing an office equipment store which sold several brands of home and office safes. We couldn't keep them in stock! Problem was the insulation contained in the walls of these safes released moisture into the safe interior and was not good for anything but paper and that would come out of the safe damp. A dry insulation safe is key to this, otherwise you'll have problems.
    I'm currently looking for an old fashioned used safe, big, brawny, and cheap!
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>my feelings exactly now what type of safe to buy?

How much money do you want to spend? You can probably pick up a used TL-15 safe for under 1,000.00 if you negotiate.

Rgrds
    TP
  • Options
    safes run the spectrum ~ Israeli or Frence TXTL60's thru Sentrys...of course, you could just buy your own ATM with driveup

Amsec RSC containers are the best bang for the buck

If anyone would like instructions on how to defeat a Sentry keypad and lock cyl. in under five minutes combined, just leave me a note image in other words, don't waste your money at Staples or Home Depot
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    I have both. I am not all that comfortable with having my entire collection at home. I always have a portion at home locked in the safe so if I want to play with coins I have some to play with.image The remainder lives in my safe deposit box. I change them out of my safe about once a month.
  • Options
    I sleep with my coins so they are as safe as me and my wife. If the coins get into trouble, we all have problems!
    GottaGetCoins

Currently attempting the 12 Coin US Gold Type Set and the 20th Century US Major Coin Type Set. Completed a Franklin Half Proof Set.
  • Options
    If you have plenty of silica gel you needn't worry about leaving your safe open from time to time. The problem is with humidity; as someone already said, store some paper in there for a few weeks and it'll be as damp as if you had left it out a few minutes in a fine mist.
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • Options
    then the next questions is how much siiicao and what kind of silica to use?
  • Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭✭
    I use both. Almost everything is in the safe deposit box. I have a safe at home, bolted down to use for temporary storage of new purchases or something that I've brought home for a while. I opted for higher security over protection from fire.
    "Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options
    MJPHELANMJPHELAN Posts: 760 ✭✭✭
    I bought a custom safe made by Brown Safe Co. (www.BrownSafe.com). It was made to fit in a corner in my office. It is burgler and fire proof. I bought two (overkill) silica gel packs to keep it dry. It is nice to look at the coins whenever I want.

Mark
    Mark
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Look at this link for silica gel. It tells you what volume it's good for.

Regarding safes, look in your yellow pages and try to find a used safe. I bought one, which the shop had refurbished including repainting, for about 1/3 the cost of a new one. Determine what size you need, and double it, so you won't have to buy another ina few years.
  • Options
    No silica necessary here ~ AMSEC dry insulation, UL listed (a real endorsement, not Omega Point or self rated)
  • Options
    If I had a lot of money invested in coins then I would purchase a safe used at jewelry stores with lots of drawers and with fire proofing. Don't forget to buy some sort of dehumidifying agent to place in the safe!
    Constellatio Collector sevenoften@hotmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""
  • Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try this link for American Security Safes.

Text
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    RRRR Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    Hi shanks82:

You might also consider the "adesco" brand.

www.adesco.com

RR
    <html />
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    I use a gun safe for the cheaper stuff that I look at and play with all the time & the expensive stuff that I don't look at very often stays in a safe deposit box. I open my safe quite often and run my house HVAC all the time so I don't worry much about humidity problems and take no special steps for it.
    I also have a great home security system:

Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file