Home U.S. Coin Forum

If you were going to start a coin business...

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
Is there anything that you would do that nobody else does? What would you do to rise above the crowd?

BTW, this is a difficult question. I'm not looking for "Oh, I would be different by being courteous and knowledgable and by having the lowest prices". That, my friends, is way too obvious. Tell me something I don't already know! image
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    One would have to be insane to start a coin business. image

Russ, NCNE
  • If I told you, you would only laugh like you do to all my other sample slab posts.image I'll keep my idea and make money myself without giving it away.

Cameron Kiefer
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I would give out a Cammy punching bag with every $1000 purchase!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• I would want to have an inventory with the selection and prices that'll draw the big buyers, but that'll also get the little guy too... it seems like I've seen that in a lot of the online coin business... they've got tons of high grade, high rarity, high dollar coins... and I hear that, "Oh, they're great to deal with!" and all this stuff... and I look for something in my price range, and I don't even come close to having enough money for even their low-end coins...
    -George
    42/92
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would give out a Cammy punching bag with every $1000 purchase!

Where should I send my check for $3000?
    Andy Lustig

• MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll keep my idea and make money myself without giving it away. >>

Cameron Kiefer Male Prostitute!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• I'll let you punch me three times for $3,000.image I could put that towards my business.

Cameron Kiefer
  • bozboz Posts: 1,405

<< <i>Cameron Kiefer Male Prostitute!!! >>

He asked for an idea that would make money!
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    I can only tell if I get a royalty. image
    I'll let you punch me three times for $3,000.

Cameron - For $3000, you could buy enough styrofoam boxes to build yourself a small (but very ugly) cottage. Seems fitting, in a way. image
    Andy Lustig

• Thanks for reminding me. I am going to take the pic of the box right now!

Cameron Kiefer
    Thanks for reminding me. I am going to take the pic of the box right now!

OH MY! WHAT HAVE I DONE???
    Andy Lustig

• I posted it in the other thread also with another picture:

Cameron Kiefer
    imageimage
    Andy Lustig

• I would start an online coin trading network modeled after the NASDAQ. That would open up many opportunities. Wait... I think that might have been done already image

Seriously, do you have any new ideas for us Andy?
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you were going to start a coin business...

I would be rude, nasty, grumpy, and would occasionally doctor a coin. It is a great way to get publicity around here. image
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    2 words: Hooter's Girls.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • I would cut a deal with PCGS to make sure the coins I submitted uner my business name for my customers got done on time.

I can think of a dozen reasons not to have high capacity magazines, but it's the reasons I haven't thought about that I need them.
  • barberloverbarberlover Posts: 2,228 ✭✭
    Andy,

Their is nothing new under the sun.

If I were to start a coin buisness, I would rather do what works then whats new.

I like what some forum member dealers I've done buisness with have done. Offer really nice eye appealing coins at reasonable profit margins, with decent pictures of their coins.

Maybe not a revolutionary idea, but thats what I would try to do.

Les
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • A couple of hot blonde women would be great for conventions. They would attract collectors and dealers to your table like flies.

Cameron Kiefer
  • JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    I would follow Danglen's lead and offer a wide selection of World Crowns. If I had a brick-and-mortar store, I would display this selection of World Crowns near the popular US stuff like SAE's and Morgans. Many US collectors don't realize what an incredible amount and variety of coinage there is out there, much of it to be had at small premiums over bullion. (The cruddy pictures in Krause don't do anything but discourage potential darksiders in my opinion.)

I would also invest in slabbing many World Crowns, more for the sake of protection than grading, but it would be good business as well. After all, a lot of customers have jumped on the TPG train.

Edited to add that I agree with the Hooters girls.

We ARE watching you.

• krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I would make arrangements with CW, NN, Greysheet, etc. to buy reprints of articles and include relevant ones with orders. For example, buy a Unc Buffalo, and with the coin include a reprint of an article in the Monthly Supplement discussing year-by-year characteristics of Buffalos, and a list of books on them. Allow the publications to include subscription info on the reprints to get a better deal from them.

For customers spending over a certain amount in a year, provide a free ANA one year membership and a membership to their local coin club (if there is one).

Provide coins to club meetings that they can raffle off in order to generate name recognition and goodwill. Bigger meetings get nicer coins. Include a pile of business cards along with them.

<< <i>A couple of hot blonde women would be great for conventions. They would attract collectors and dealers to your table like flies.

Cameron Kiefer >>

Why, Cameron, they quit doing that in the 80's. image

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Accept credit cards at shows.
  • A couple of hot blonde women would be great for conventions. They would attract collectors and dealers to your table like flies.

i2 words: Hooter's Girls.

<< Cameron Kiefer Male Prostitute!!! >>[/

OK, how much do you think I could make....would it be profitable to get a boob job?
    Who would make more ....me, Kiefer or the guy selling the coins?
    OK, how much do you think I could make....would it be profitable to get a boob job?
    Who would make more ....me, Kiefer or the guy selling the coins?

I know how I'd spend my money!

Come here big boy... image

We ARE watching you.

• Darn, that Kiefer gets all the hunks!! Well, can't blame a girl for tryin" !!
    snapmohrimage

We ARE watching you.

• CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing new about this, but I'd deal only in PCGS, NGC, and possibly ANACS slabbed coins recognizing that there is a differenve in the prices for coins graded by different services. I'd have someone create a dynamite website that I could easily maintain, post good quality pictures of all coins, and place small ads in Coin World to advertise. It takes time to build a business, so I wouldn't expect miracles overnight. I would NOT have a brick and mortar retail store - too much overhead. It seems that small retail stores are being put out of business by internet competition. I would avoid dealing in the nickel & dime stuff that takes a lot of time and produces little or no profit, and stock a lot of coins in the $50-$1000 price range, with more expensive ones, if they're real gems or key dates. I 'd be very choosy about what I purchased; if you buy junk you have to try to sell it, and it may sell slowly, possibly at a loss, or not at all. Fast and courteous service is a must for any new business. Word of mouth is often a very effective method of advertising, and you don't want to start off with negative comments being made about you. If I had a coin in stock, and the market dropped, I'd lower my price accordingly. I hate to have a dealer quote me an exaggerated price and tell me he's got XXX dollars in the coin. If he overpaid or held the coin too long, that's HIS problem, and he shouldn't pass on his mistakes to someone else.

In the end, it's all about treating people the way you'd want to be treated. Be fair, honest, and easy to deal with.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Start an exchange/trading board/auction site for people who want to sell their coins direct. Screen out the dirt bag dealers [we know who 99% of them are] and have tough rules to ensure service and satisfaction.

Whoever comes up with that will earn my biz. Ebay has failed and is vulnerable. Between 2000-02 I bought over six figures on ebay. I got ripped once and that was enough, no more ebay, I rarely look at coins there. All transactions are face to face now or via mail with dealers who know me.

The coin community is relatively small and well conected with forums and websites. Setting up an eBay alternative should not be impossible. If it's good they will come.

The hobby for most of us here is a meal ticket for the reputable dealers [a good thing] and a gravy train for the dirt baggers. Until that changes I will avoid online auctions as they exist today.
  • Barry, you are a genius. If you accept credit cards at a show, I will be there.
  • The Hooters idea is the best so far! Hey guy, can I look at that roll in your pocket?
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I'd charge outrageous S/H
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • With the way the economy is going today would be a great day to start a coin biz.

High stuff from only the best slabbers.
    Collector of early copper, pre 1900 currency, PCGS MS64+ Saints.
  • haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    How about sell accurately graded moderns raw. Then someone could work on a nice high grade collection without so much money going into the slabbing fees. (And also store their coins the way they want to strore them, not in big scratched up bulky slabs where the coin is crooked in them sometimes!).
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would place the results of my clients and customers above my own, hopefully earning longterm business. Unfortunately, this is usually a losing proposition in the retail business.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • I would file the appropriate papers within the State of Michigan to be a Non-Profit Corporation. I am running a non-profit business as it is, so I may as well make it official. Know what I mean Vern???
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • RodiusRodius Posts: 857
    I actually spoke to my tax guy last year about this very subject...and the answer is not what I wanted to hear. Because this is a "collector" market and no "real" value as it pertains to the stock market values and the market funds stay away until I have a small buisness license and an inventory that exceeds $5000. He also advised that buying and selling on EBAY was also subjective when it comes to the IRS. However, on one of the threads there was some scuttlebutt about PayPal and EBAY keeping better records when it comes to the money coming in to sellers. Why does the government have to have its hand in everyones pocket.

I believe that one can supplement ones income with a coin buisness on the side, acting with integrity and honesty, and keeping strictly accurate records.

Also, as stated in this thread, networking will get you far. Make friends and when we expand our circle of influence, it will only benefit both parties.

Friends are the greatest benefit far beyond any price realized. What is you legecy????????

• RodiusRodius Posts: 857
    I have to agree with RoadRunner. It is all about the customer/client. Their happiness is of the utmost improtance. I have sold a small and meager amount on EBAY and it is all about the return customer. In one aution that was non coin related, the shipping was beyond what I quoted. MY bad, but the customer was overwhelmed at the service. That's what it is all about. Customer satifaction!!!!!

• nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    I'm with Russ on this one. Collecting coins is one thing...a great life-long hobby for me. But, a coin dealer; now that's not what I'd ever want to do.
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570
    I would be different by being courteous and knowledgable and by having the lowest prices
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6

• << <i>I'll let you punch me three times for $3,000.image I could put that towards my business.

Cameron Kiefer >>

Can I punch you three times for $3,000. No futher liability for medical expenses assumed, though image
    4 765 of 50 971 (9.35%) complete image

First DAMMIT BOY! 25/9/05 (Finally!)

" XpipedreamR is cool because you can get a bottle of 500 for like a dollar. " - Aspirin

• GoldfingerGoldfinger Posts: 319 ✭✭
    I would offer a financial advisory service to wealthy investors looking to put together a high-value portfolio of coins.

Also, I wouldn't name my coin business after myself. "Goldfinger" sounds like a cheesy fictional name for a coin guy.

-Jay
    small_d

e-mail me here

WINNER:
    POTD 8-30-05 (awarded by dthigpen)
    POTD 9-8-05 (awarded by gsaguy)
    GSAGUY Slam 12-10-04
  • I would create a case (or web page if your internet only) and allow my customers to put coins on consignment into that case at 2% commission. I would allow them to put one dollars worth of coins into the case for every three dollars worth of coins that they buy from me.

This would encourage customers to buy from me, it would increase the amount of coins that I could offer to customers at any given time, it would give me a legitimate first shot at some great coins, it would encourage potential customers to come look at the consigned coins (just the thought of the dealer making no profit will intrique people and bring them into the store) and the hype from word of mouth will pull more people into the store/sight.

Just a thought.
    Go well.
  • Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    It's on of my dreams to start a coin shop once...........

Dennis
  • I wouldn't want to get into the coin "business." Ever notice how most smaller coin shops also have jewelry? "XXXXX Coin and Gem", etc. Many of these make more on jewelry than coins - more volume & better markups. That should tell you something about the retail coin business.

Add to that the impact of ebay and I believe the retail coin business is not very lucrative. JMHO

Mike
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
  • Good advertising, good business name-logo-motto, good business plan, mucho bucks to invest, great inventory that caters to collectors and investors, outstanding service, no hooters girls - possibly some hunky men for the ladies, a kick-A$$ grand opening with food and freebies for all, some champagne to get the buyers buzzed so they will spend some of those bucks, great business cards, a website that is easy to navigate and spend, and weekly coin club meetings with informative subjects/speakers, etc. hmmmm sounds like a plan to me - now all I need is the mucho bucks. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file