Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Mike Schmidt collectors, take notice!

There is a 1972 Puerto Rican Schmidt 'rookie' card on Ebay. It is the best looking one I've seen raw and for sale. Wish I had a pile of cash laying around to nab this puppy!

1972 Puerto Rican Schmidt
Always looking for 1967 OPC's.

Comments

• << <i>There is a 1972 Puerto Rican Schmidt 'rookie' card on Ebay. It is the best looking one I've seen raw and for sale. Wish I had a pile of cash laying around to nab this puppy!

shoot me an e-mail as i may have some E95's your looking for.

http://www.psacard.com/new_set_registry/listothersets.chtml?rsetid=22545

live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!
  • BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭
    I have a psa 10 1982 Topps Steve Carlton In Action PSA 10. email me at briankritz@aol.com if you need it and what you would be willing to pay.

Thanks

Brian
  • JmnesqJmnesq Posts: 250 ✭✭
    Thanks. AFter ten years of looking (and one BAD eBay transaction) I found one from an auction seller on Ebay and actually drove to his office and picked it up. It graded a PSA 7. ALways looking to upgrade.

Appreciate the heads up. It's an elusive card, and the only way my PSA 7 will see the light of day is if I get a higher graded example.
    Jeff

Collecting Bowman Chrome Phillies Rookie Cards and Mike Schmidt certified auto cards.
  • Any thoughts on authenticity? I've seen the back and it looks good (I tried to attach it but the file was too big). I'm concerned about the low feedback and the non-paypal. The seller has been very responsive and his story sounds pretty good.

I can email the back if interested.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Minor league cards scare me..............many were reprinted during the 80z
    Good for you.
    This sticker is so rare... there are no reported fakes yet. It does have the trademark black print spot between Mike's eyes. I bought mine in person from a 0 feedback seller.
    Jeff

Collecting Bowman Chrome Phillies Rookie Cards and Mike Schmidt certified auto cards.
  • The dealer link below probably has the largest selection of Venezuelans, but I don't see the Schmidt card type of topic under any of the winter league links (however, I realize it's Puerto Rican.) Anybody know more about this card issue?

http://gfg.com/venezuela/
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    if '55 Bowman' is bidding on it, my guess is it's the real deal...........

BOTR
    There are only a few graded copies, I have it in PSA 7 after hunting for the card for literally a decade. Bought it - graded it - I'm never letting go. Someone here has it in PSA 9, I believe.

As far as I know, it was released in 1972 in Puerto Rico... obviously. I believe there is a Clemente in this set as well as well as some other prominent spanish ball players, It is a smaller card, and is actually a sticker. I believe it is the same size as the Topps stickers from the mid 80s.

The seller emailed me and asked if I minded if he gets it graded -- it's his card! The high bid right now is $400 and change, if the auction goes for less than $500, with the card in what appears to be nice shape, I think it is a bargain.
    Jeff

• Hey, Jeff. So, I guess it's safe to assume that the size listed in the auction is correct. Tough to spend so much cash on an ungraded card, but.........
  • These are NOT stickers. Granted they are somewhat thin compared to regular baseball card stock, but they do not resemble a sticker in any way. I think they got the reputation of being stickers due to the fact that they were meant to be glued into an album. Regardless, they are cards with printed backs and nothing sticker-like about them other than the album.

Also, they are NOT minor league cards. The Puerto Rican Winter League was and is a professional league.

Because they are so thin, they are incredibly difficult to find in high-grade. Not to mention centering problems, print dots, etc.

As with most issues that people have questions about, these can be found in the Standard Catalog of Baseball cards, which every collector really should pick up to have in their reference library.

It's amazing that a Schmidt exists in a PSA 9. That card should be acknowledged as one of the finest cards from the 1970's. Better than most PSA 10s from non-black-bordered issues.

-Ryan Christoff

• Thanks for the reminder, Ryan. I pulled out my 1996 Standard Catalog and it describes the cards in detail.
  • sticker

and another............
  • CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Wow! 2 of these in a month and a half! I looked at both auctions and noticed that the white border on the original auction (sold for $700+) looks a little small compared to the new listing. I know the centering between the two is very different top to bottom, which makes it hard to tell, but side to side is pretty consistent on both. The new listing just seems to have more white border. Is it my eyes? Or did the first one fall victim to the paper cutter? Can anyone elese chime in here?
  • Did this one get graded? How did it turn out. I just won a different auction and am still waiting for the card. Thanks.
    Always buying high grade Mike Schmidt and Steve Carlton cards!!!
  • By the way, here is the link to the most recent auction.

Schmidt Puerto Rico
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    David:

I just got a 7.5 back from GAI. I liked the looks of the one you had available - but the seller's feedback was a bit of a concern for me. Hope it works out well for you!!!

M
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Who is Mike Schmidt?

Meow
    PHFTT-PHFTT
  • Browntoni, I just received the grade back on the "first" Schmidt sticker. Good news and bad news, probably more of the latter. See link. I had some concerns about whether it would be graded at all b/c it was a tiny bit short. However, if it graded, I had no concerns that it was, at worst, a solid 7 and possibly an 8. Very clear picture, nicely centered, nice corners (only one with a ding that could be seen by the naked eye). There were no wrinkles in it - I went over it in great detail. It did have a slight curl like some thin cards do when outside of a holder, so that may have done it. Frankly, I'm a little shocked b/c of the premium I paid. I hope yours does better - from the scan it was nice and you got a good price.

Anyway, I knew the Mays was going to get a 4 or 5. Badly centered, paper loss on a couple of somewhat rounded corners. It is the first card I ever purchased from a card shop 25 years ago. $30 at a card shop in Philly (just up Strahle St in the NE). I went back to see the card 3-4 times, but finally bought it. I was about 13-14 at the time. Love the card despite its problems and it will always be one of my favorites.

By the way, in comparison, there is clearly more than a one grade difference between the two cards.

Grader of Douche
  • better than Schmidt

for those keeping score at home, the rest of my Collector's Club "free" six submissions (split into two orders b/c of the tall boys)............... The Matthewson was a card I purchased about 10 years ago at a show in Virginia. The Brown was a crossover from SGC 60.
    Gatorbait:

Sorry to hear about your Schmidt sticker. The PSA 4 I once got graded was cracked out by James Kendall and eventually came back a 5. That being said - the issue sometimes does have very minute creases along the edges/corners that slightly stick up - and can't seem to be flattened out. Also - I forget what your Schmidt looked like - but is it centered well, and did you request N/Q? The issue obviously is very often centered horrificly.

I have a GAI 7.5 Schmidt sticker presently available to any that might be interested (trade preferred). There has not been anything graded about a 7 available on the public markets in over five years....
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Hey, Schmidt. I may be interested in the 7.5. The sticker I had graded is the first one mentioned on this post (with picture). You bid me up on it! Still a great card - I wish it got a 7/8, but it presents great.
    Gatorbait:

Sorry about that - I remember this one now. The corners looked perhaps a bit soft for an 8 - but a strong card nonetheless. Would love to see it in person. Was confusing this one to the one that was recently sold on Ebay to browntoni to a seller that had a more spotty feedback record. I love the Schmidt sticker - and am glad to see it finally gaining in popularity!
  • The corners (one in particular) may be soft for an 8, although I've seen worse. The centering, however, is great. I'll post it in the holder when I get it back.
  • Well, as promised, here is a scan of the Schmidt card in the 5 holder. To top off the low grade, PSA put it into one of the plastic baggy holders. Since I know they have a holder available, I don't understand why this one came in a sack. Frankly, it looks awful (worse than the scan, which came out pretty good). Any suggestions/ideas beyond breaking it out and putting it back into a nice, 2" lucite frame (where it looked awesome)?

Thanks in advance - Gatorbait

• 67standup67standup Posts: 833

<< <i>Any suggestions/ideas beyond breaking it out and putting it back into a nice, 2" lucite frame (where it looked awesome)?q]

You know, some cards are meant not to be slabbed. If it's for the Set Registry then that's certainly a consideration, but those thick 2" lucite holders with a velvet carrying case are very cool. I have a 1959 Venezuelan Mantle in one. There's some very slight wear on the reverse which knock it down to a PSA 2/3, without it it's a 5/6.

That's one cool card you have, how were they originally distributed?
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • speederspeeder Posts: 819
    gatorbait, that is one super card !!
    I really enjoy the "rough tough" cards, honestly, sweet card.
    I have a 1974 topps (test issue) deckle edge psa-10 (1 of 3) johnny bench
    but to show you what i mean, heres a pic of one of my favorite cards : image

3 total have been graded, all 3 were psa-1 ,,, gotta luv it !!!

• << <i>

<< <i>Any suggestions/ideas beyond breaking it out and putting it back into a nice, 2" lucite frame (where it looked awesome)?q]

You know, some cards are meant not to be slabbed. If it's for the Set Registry then that's certainly a consideration, but those thick 2" lucite holders with a velvet carrying case are very cool. I have a 1959 Venezuelan Mantle in one. There's some very slight wear on the reverse which knock it down to a PSA 2/3, without it it's a 5/6.

That's one cool card you have, how were they originally distributed? >>

I'm not sure how they were distributed, although I know that they were designed to be glued into an album. The backs are unglued.

Speeder, that Bench card is awesome.
  • Speeder, you sold me a 1977 Bench Venezuelan PSA 1 Bench. I haven't seen any listed from this series since. I agree, a very nice card.
  • speederspeeder Posts: 819
    hey, 67
    don`t tell anyone what you paid for that !! geez, what a deal !! I still have the other 2 psa-1 stickers. I`m truly glad someone like you has the only other graded example there is. I feel you too enjoy the hard to find, yet sure to grade low cards. let me know, if you would like to sell it back !! i`m interested.
    and gatorbait, if you ever wish to upgrade that card, well, you know.
    your friend, lee
  • Always buying high grade Mike Schmidt and Steve Carlton cards!!!
  • Another PSA 5......I will post when I receive back from PSA
  • Browntoni, what were you expecting? It looked nice on the scan. Did it have a curl?

Gatorbait
  • I thought 6 or 7. The biggest issue was that it was not as white on the borders as others I have seen. Oh well. It will sit in my collection. I will post it for all to see when it arrives from PSA.
  • Here it is:

Schmidt PSA 5
  • Good luck on that one, Browntoni. Looks nicer than a 5. Nice centering.