Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Should I consign this medieval coin to 'greattoning'.....

So that he can put it in a PCI slab and get me $200.00 more than its worth for it? image

https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.

Comments

• Options
    hookedoncoinshookedoncoins Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭
    Very nice coin. Why would you want to sell it?

The obverse looks like an outline of C3PO (from Star Wars). image

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    No doubt the toning (which, by the way, I find beautiful) is a result of an older chemical cleaning. However, I don't think it was done purposely with the intent of producing those colors. Perhaps it can even be construed as NT?

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    hookedoncoinshookedoncoins Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No doubt the toning (which, by the way, I find beautiful) is a result of an older chemical cleaning. However, I don't think it was done purposely with the intent of producing those colors. Perhaps it can even be construed as NT?

imageimageimage >>

By today's standards (which in may respects I disagree with) that would easily qualify as NT.
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    If you intend rid yourself of the coin,,, the question is "Do you OBJECT to getting $200 extra for an item you sell?" Why Not?image
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you intend rid yourself of the coin,,, the question is "Do you OBJECT to getting $200 extra for an item you sell?" Why Not? >>

Not in the least. Comment was more tongue in cheek than anything else. It's a nice coin that took a great picture.

And I didn't even have to cook it with a torch! image

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a nice coin... I thought the maundy set you sold me was a consignment candidate...image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>Very nice coin. Why would you want to sell it?

The obverse looks like an outline of C3PO (from Star Wars). image

>>

• Options
    Slightly OT image : What coin is this anyway? I'm very curious
    4 765 of 50 971 (9.35%) complete image

First DAMMIT BOY! 25/9/05 (Finally!)

" XpipedreamR is cool because you can get a bottle of 500 for like a dollar. " - Aspirin

• Options
    Hi Philip,

Here's the rundown:

BULGARIA Ivan Shishman 1371-1393 EF

AR Grosh 0.56g. 14mm.

Obv: The Virgin Mary and Child; mu and theta flanking

Rev: Ivan standing facing, holding cross sceptre; letter in left field, two letters or monograms in right field

Ljubica 3, pl. III, 4; Dochev table XXXVII, 4 and pl. 13, 3 var. (two letters at left); Metcalf SEE 19

Choice grey and irridescent toning.

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin in uncirculated or nearly uncirculated condition!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options

<< <i>Hi Philip,

Here's the rundown:

BULGARIA Ivan Shishman 1371-1393 EF

AR Grosh 0.56g. 14mm.

Obv: The Virgin Mary and Child; mu and theta flanking

Rev: Ivan standing facing, holding cross sceptre; letter in left field, two letters or monograms in right field

Ljubica 3, pl. III, 4; Dochev table XXXVII, 4 and pl. 13, 3 var. (two letters at left); Metcalf SEE 19

Choice grey and irridescent toning. >>

Ah, the mark of shame is forever upon me image

Not being able to recognize a Bulgarian coin!!! image

" XpipedreamR is cool because you can get a bottle of 500 for like a dollar. " - Aspirin

• Options
    P.S. I don't see how a slab would bring $200 more, as the value of the coin is not that big anyway (unless I am very much mistaken). I recently saw an XF grosh of Ivan Alexander (1331-1371) and the asking price was 20 euro. Still too much for me, though image

• Options

<< <i>P.S. I don't see how a slab would bring $200 more, as the value of the coin is not that big anyway (unless I am very much mistaken). I recently saw an XF grosh of Ivan Alexander (1331-1371) and the asking price was 20 euro. Still too much for me, though image >>

Absolutely. We've only got the coin priced at $22.00. The comment was merely tongue in cheek in reference to a recent thread about a U.S. Silver Eagle in a PCI slab with very colorful toning that was selling for several hundred dollars. image

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.