Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

New members, say hello here.

I have noticed a lot of new faces (well, new names) here of late. Please take a moment to tell us a little about yourselves here.

A warm advance welcome from me!image
If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
1987-C Hendersonville Road
Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com

Comments

• Options
    Hello,

My collecting interests are all over the map, from ancient to modern. At this point, I'm more interested in research than buying but I pick up a nice coin now and then. See you around "Old Dead King".

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the Darkside Donovan!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Welcome to another "Olde dead dude!!" image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options

<< <i>Welcome to another "Olde dead dude!!" image >>

I'm not actually dead. Re-animated is the preferred term. image
  • Options
    Hello All!

I collect anything that is pre-1970, I started with the Indian head and lincolns but soon ran out of money to collect the rest of the sets, a friend of mine told me to start collecting world coins so I started with Canadian, then Germany, and it snowballed into I don't really collect any country in particular anymore just beautiful coins. I love collecting the various different countries, and I just acquired a coin from the Strait Settlements. Well that's about it.

AFN
    "True Patriots of liberty sprout from the toils of truth."
  • Options
    hookedoncoinshookedoncoins Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭
    I would also like to welcome you to the darkside Donovan.image

P.S. - Seems like this last year or so our darkside population has been growing significantly.
  • Options

<< <i> Hello All!

I collect anything that is pre-1970, I started with the Indian head and lincolns but soon ran out of money to collect the rest of the sets, a friend of mine told me to start collecting world coins so I started with Canadian, then Germany, and it snowballed into I don't really collect any country in particular anymore just beautiful coins. I love collecting the various different countries, and I just acquired a coin from the Strait Settlements. Well that's about it.

AFN >>

Yes, it is amazing how underappreciated world coins are. They are one of the true bargains left. I would also like to officially welcome you to the boardsimage.

edit: I meant to edit my last post, but accidently made another one.
  • Options
    Welcome AFNcoin!

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Welcome all you guys!!! It's great to have you all here.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Welcome Donvan and AFN, I too am a retired U.S. collector, burned my self out on a U.S. type set, both financially and mentally. To many cleaned/altered coins, the whole thing just tired me. I collect pretty much any country, but I am focusing on Great Britian, but I am also pretty close to finishing a Unified Germany type set of common circulating pieces from the Empire to present.image
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to Donovan, AFNCoin and OldFossil (from another thread)!
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OldFossil? Two wybrits now?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Welcome to all the newbies! You should be warned though - it can be very addictive to hang around here. If you are not careful, you will suddenly find yourselves buying city view thalers or gothic crowns or coins with lions on them...

Marcel
    Ebay user name: 00MadMuffin00
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    I'm not really new, but I did disappear from the forums for a long time, several months in fact. Just now pulling out my stuff and getting organized. I bought Coin Collectors Assistant, and it's a great software package. Since the last time I was around, I've changed jobs and added another "gem bu" to the family. image The combination of both means I probably won't post as often as I did in the past, but I also hope to avoid going about a year between posts! image

For world coins, I like those of France, Ireland, and Greece, mainly before 1950. Most of my stuff covers 1850-1950. But, I do stray on occasion just because a coin "looks neat".

Glad to see the Darkside is still going strong.
  • Options
    Welcome to all the newbie's and the returning oldies!!!

Just a little caution to the newbies - once you have strayed to the Darkside, there is no turning back..... image
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    As an aside, I thought you all should know that we will not be hearing anything from "worldwidecoins"...it appears he is having a problem logging on...if you catch my meaning image
  • Options
    "As an aside, I thought you all should know that we will not be hearing anything from "worldwidecoins"...it appears he is having a problem logging on...if you catch my meaningimage" --Cacheman

imageimageimageimage

WhiteTornado, congrats on the new addition! Is it a boy or girl??

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    1jester, it's a boy.
  • Options

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    Welcome all newbies! As you'll find this place is chock full of folks with knowledge they're happy to share, treasures they're dying to show off and friendly, civilized (well, mostly civilized) conversation... The best numimatic acquisition in a long time was finding and participating in this forum. image
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    I'm newish to this board, I have used the CCRS board for years but I wanted to find one for world coins. I collect everything, mostly research though and let the coins lead me. I study Geography and History at university and have collected coins for my whole life almost. Just got serious in 1997 or so.

My latest interest is learning different dating systems and language. Already I've seen some of the knowledge shared on this board, it's fun and I enjoy reading everyone's stories and seeing their coins.
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    As an aside, I thought you all should know that we will not be hearing anything from "worldwidecoins"...it appears he is having a problem logging on...if you catch my meaning

Wow! That was quick. Faster than Crownman!
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    Welcome again to all of the new folks, it really is great to have you here! You find very fast that this little board is very much like a family. Many of us have met in person or talked on the phone, we also do a lot of buying, selling, trading and yes even giving away. One of the best things about us is that we generally get along very well and respect each other. Not your average internet chat board by a long shot!image

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    I know there have got to me more fish out there. Here fishy fishyimage.

<< <i> One of the best things about us is that we generally get along very well and respect each other. Not your average internet chat board by a long shot! >>

When he says here, that only applies to this board. If you go out into the U.S. forum, post with caution cause if they don't like your opinion or anything else you post, expect to get flamedimage.

• Options

<< <i>I know there have got to me more fish out there. Here fishy fishyimage.

<< <i> One of the best things about us is that we generally get along very well and respect each other. Not your average internet chat board by a long shot! >>

When he says here, that only applies to this board. If you go out into the U.S. forum, post with caution cause if they don't like your opinion or anything else you post, expect to get flamedimage. >>

Yes, and the open forum is definately a minefield. I jumped into a few threads there with some, what were meant to be anyway, facetious posts and I don't think anyone got the intent. I suppose they really won't like my non-facetious posts. image
  • Options
    Hi. I am a modern US collector and have recently purchased thr $5 Moose and $8 Grizzly stamp and coin sets. I would like to collect this series and start a silver maple leaf collect in MS69 / PR69. And help about these collections or availability would be helpful. I reall don't know a thing about candain coins, but like both of these sets.

Anyone know anything about the moose & grizzly series? How many coins to be introduced, how I can keep up with new coins coming out in the series?

Thanks, Walt
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Always glad to see new faces!

Others new to our the board include Bikemiked, EISQ222, Gargoyle, Vet, Popcoin, and 1946 Hamm-I'm sure I left several new members out...image

Shipcoins and TLHoy are members who joined within the last few months who really fit in-as opposed to Worldwidecoins-good job chasing him out!

I think it would be interesting to have all the "lurkers" sign in at least once on this thread; there are many who view this forum in a non-participatory fashion, it'd be nice to know who they are.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone know anything about the moose & grizzly series? How many coins to be introduced, how I can keep up with new coins coming out in the series? >>

Try checking with the Royal Canadian Mint's site. They probably have a way for you to register for notifications, like the U.S. Mint does.

Warning: Once you dip your toes in the darkside, even the gray Canadian waters, there is no turning back!image
    Roy

• Options
    Welcome Nemesis!!! I hope you stay a long time. Good luck with the Canadian collection.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD