Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is anybody else here wild about $2-1/2 and $5 Indians?

I like all kinds of coins from gold to silver to copper, you name it. In fact, I'm not even a collector really, I'm an accumulator. But I have absolutely fallen in love with the Indian half and quarter gold eagles. Unfortunately these aren't exactly cheap, so it may take me a long time to build up a nice collection. But it has to be done! I don't know what it is, but they practically make me drool!!!

Comments

• darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Yes, I really like these coins also but I only have a few $5 coins because they cost so much in the grades I like them in. mike image
  • sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I really like them too but my budget prevents me from buying them.image
  • islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful and unique...everybody should have at least one..even in high circulated under $200.. cant beat it for what it adds to your overall collectionimage

ebay $5 Lib
    YCCTidewater.com
  • I'm trying to start a collection of $5 Indians. I bought a 1908-S MS64 PCGS and a 1911-S MS63 PCGS. The 11-S in MS63 is about $2500 and over $20,000 in MS64 ! This is too big a spread and will narrow over time so I think the 11-S in 63 is the "best buy" in $5 Indians.
    I'd rather be lucky than good.
  • I fell in love with and I am just starting a Quarter Eagle Indian collection. As with every type of new avenue of collecting I need to read up on every thing I can.

Here is what I have ordered so far and waiting for the books to arrive:

A Collectors Guide to Indian Head Quarter Eagles by Doug Winter & Mike Fuljenz
    A Handbook of 20th Century US Gold Coins 1907-1933 by David Akers

Both were referred to me by CU members.
    Bill.

Bust Half & FSB Merc Collector
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can build a complete set of $2.50 Indians. The one really tough coin is the 1911-D, which like most key date coins, is now selling at a premium. You have to throw away the Gray Sheet prices when you buy one because NO ONE sells them that cheap. Still for $2,000 or so you can get a decent example.

The $5 Indian set is lot harder to assemble. Not only are there some very tought dates like the 1909-O, 1911-D and the "big one" 1929, but the coin is very hard to find in strict Mint State condition. This applies to the common dates as well as the rare dates.

Here's my raw set of $2.50 Indians, which I put together in the 1980s.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    Bill,

Your set looks spectacular in that Capital holder.

Gold on white is all right!
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • I think they're great looking coins, and really neat because of the incuse design. I just can't afford one that I would want right now(MS65+).

And BillJones, that's a sharp looking set!
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

They are my favorite coins with the inclusive design. The $5 in MS65+ is hard to find - and not cheap.

Bill that is a great set image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • EvilMCTEvilMCT Posts: 799 ✭✭✭
    Love the incuse design. I've been looking recently to pick up my first one. Unfortunately, I have little experience with them, so I'll have to cough up a premium for a graded piece.

Ken
    my knuckles, they bleed, on your front door
  • Bill,

That is image

Thanks for posting the picture of it.

This is why I love coming here more then any other reason, I still love viewing other peoples collections & swapping coin stories with other collectors.

Les
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey all you gold indian buffs, take a look at my post on March 22. I'm looking for some variety references on these -- to no avail yet. I have fallen for these as well, so figure I might as well join the chief's fan club.

Anyone else have one of the die clash varieties?
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • foodudefoodude Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭
    They are one of my favorites, except when it comes time to grade them, they can be toughimage
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    I can never find the mint mark on those....

But serious, I was never interested in those series. But after reading this thread, I looked a bit on Heritage, and saw some very nice affordable AU's (I'm quite a crazy of AU gold:image)

Because the are quite cheap ($180 is a fair price to pay) I only have to save my money 2 months for it( I'm only 15), so that's not really much.......... Maybe this summer...

Dennis
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    They're pretty cool. I have to get a $5 for my tyep set sometime. I'll probably do 62 or 63 to make the price reasonable.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section

• << <i>But serious, I was never interested in those series. But after reading this thread, I looked a bit on Heritage, and saw some very nice affordable AU's (I'm quite a crazy of AU gold:image)
    >>

These are great coins to get in AU condition. Because of the incuse design, they really don't show as much wear as other series. I'm putting together a set in XF/AU condition (nothing higher than AU-55), and these coins look really great. I hadn't heard of the book by Doug Winter & Mike Fuljenz -- I may need to check that out...
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy looking at Bill Jones' set whenever he posts it. Very cool.

I am looking for mint state 08-S $5 and AU 11-D $2.50 for my branch mint gold type set.

I regret not buying an 09-O $5 in PCGS AU-53 ffrom the coin lieutenant a year ago. image He had a nice example for sale, and they do not turn up like that very often.
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Robert,

I am still working on getting you one...

BTW,
    I am having dinner with a guy that has SEVEN of them tonight. He has one UNC as well...

I will make a shameless plug for you...

John
  • JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    They're one of my favorite deisgns.

We ARE watching you.

• i notice from your pics that they are raw and not slabed. i always heard that with this series there are too many counterfeits and that you should buy em slabed. any opinions on this? the reason i ask is i want to start getting some of these for my collection. thanks.

john
  • JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    i notice from your pics that they are raw and not slabed. i always heard that with this series there are too many counterfeits and that you should buy em slabed. any opinions on this? the reason i ask is i want to start getting some of these for my collection. thanks.

Yes, if you are new to the series and don't have enough experience to determine a fake from the real thing, definitely buy slabbed. US gold of any type has been extensively counterfeited.

We ARE watching you.

• jomjom Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They are my favorite coins with the inclusive design. The $5 in MS65+ is hard to find - and not cheap. >>

Hard to find? In many of the dates they are practically NON-exsistant in MS65.

Bill Jones: Nice set of $2.5's! Although, you say the only "tough" date is the 11-D, it really isn't that tough to find. It's tough to afford however. image The 11-D $5 is FAR rarer in pretty much any grade.

jom
    Hey JohnZ, that's a mighty fine lookin 08' 1/4 eagle die clash you got going there --- you're a man after my heart...

I posted this a few days ago on another thread:

I'm looking for other similar varieties for these die clashes. So far I've seen $5 09-s, 16-s, and $2.50 08. Anyone know of others?

Wayne
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS

<< <i>i notice from your pics that they are raw and not slabed. i always heard that with this series there are too many counterfeits and that you should buy em slabed. any opinions on this? the reason i ask is i want to start getting some of these for my collection. thanks.

john >>

John, I have bought quite a few raw, and as long as you can give them a good study, most fakes have some obvious differences. It's important to know your mints and years since there was limited mints involved, and many of the fakes didn't know that. There ARE some good fakes though...try

PCGS's Official Guide to Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection

for some good examples. I may be a minority here, but I PREFER the raw coins, something about being able to touch 'em make them more real.

Wayne
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Yes as are several of my customersimage

Rgrds
    TPimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file