Options

Jester

What do you think natural tone? Text

Comments

• Options
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Looks like a blow torch job, + it's ugly. But he sell lots of great coins.
    Glenn
  • Options
    I agree he sells many nice coins, but this one is pretty bad.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Well, clearly it is natural toning! I like it!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    If by natural you mean applied with a paint brush, then sure, it's natural.... image
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    I see tonecoin2003 is bidding on it. Perhaps he's trying to reclaim one of his creations. image
  • Options
    Cosmic posted this coin on the US forum and here is a post from Braddick.

<< The toning on that coin came from the PCI holder.

I would say the colors are the most dramatic I have seen from PCI holder toned ASE's but I can say with 99.9% certainty that it is caused by the holder. >>

First, I used to own this coin. I purchased it in the mid 1990's and held it for several years. I sold it a little over a year ago on eBay with a losy picture (even then it sold for about $300.00). Now, if you study this coin and the holder, much is revealed and answered. For example, see on the insert where it states, "est. mintage..."? It's estimated because this silver Eagle was holdered back in 1992, the year it was minted. If it had been holdered in 1993 or later the mintage would be accurate.

Second, back in the early and mid-ninties PCI would label the percentage of toning on a coin holdered (I'm not sure if they still practice this now). This one would have probaby received a "25% Toned" designator, or somthing along those lines.
    Lastly, say what you will about PCI now, (and you're probably right...) but in 1992 if this Eagle had these crazy colors even PCI wouldn't have holdered it.

Jason's right. This coin was holdered white and has taken on the wild, neon rings of colors since encapsulation. Label it AT or NT, but at least now you're doing so with facts, not fiction.

By the way, it reallydoes look that crazy in hand!
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    Wow! image Thanks for the interesting and educational post! I guess this one is HT (holder toned) image
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    So I was right in saying it was NT? image I actually would say it's AT. Does PCI still use the same sl*bbing methods that produced this toning?

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Toning caused by a coin's holder over the course of 12 years is natural. However, you have to wonder what that holder will do to the coin over 50-100 years!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713

<< <i>Toning caused by a coin's holder over the course of 12 years is natural. >>

Indeed? I thought most of the TPGs advertised their slabs as inert?
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    << Toning caused by a coin's holder over the course of 12 years is natural. >>

Indeed? I thought most of the TPGs advertised their slabs as inert?
    >>

Think again Mark. 60-70% of my ANACS coins that have been slabbed before 1998 have toned magnificently! I mean it. Both silver and copper coins. A few gold coins also toned in PCGS old slabs, only to prove their authenticity. As far as the old ANACS holder is concerned, it's a real toning chamber. I've never owned a PCI coin yet.

edited to add: there's something wrong with greattoning's pictures since yesterday and they don't show up.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    I was curious to see how much the coin would have sold for. Unfortunately, he canceled the auction because of the controversy surrounding the coin.

I've heard these older PCI slabs can cause toning. I've never seen natural toning that looks like this. But I've never seen artificial toning that looks quite like this, either. I think it's pretty neat looking.