Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

POLL: Why do you submit coins for grading?

Do you do it in the hope you will sell the coin, or do you do it with the hope of putting coins in a registry set, both, or just for the fun of it?
image"Darkside" gold

Comments

• Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭
    I send them in to help the graders send their kids to collegeimage
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    Though I haven't submitted any coins yet, I plan to in the near future, but I picked Other, b/c one of the guidelines I set down for my short set was Certified Coins...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    For a registry set and to maybe profit from some of the coins later in time.image
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    .....because it's harder to sell a coin not encased in plastic. Dem da facts. You get more money as a rule too. Works for me.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    all of the above for me!!!!

reg set, resale, conformation of my grading ability......

imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    I holder coins I intend to sell at some point.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    Because my coins always enjoy their 3 month vacations in Newport Beach. Keeping coins happy is essential to a collector's successimage
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

I submit coins to sell so I can make money to buy the coins I want to keep for my collection.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    Because I don't seem to grade them as others do. This way I know exactly what I have. Counterfeit protection also.
    Merc collector.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Several reasons:

1. Sometimes to authenticate.
    2. To improve marketability.
    3. Nice holders.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

I make coins so the nice people on eBay can buy them cheap.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If for my collection, usually thier already PCGS Holdered. If not, I will send a coin that I purchased which plans to reside in my collection to PCGS becuase it is my service of choice.

Also, send on ocassion lower priced key-dates that i picked up for trading to increase the selling price/marketability.

• Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Other. To protect them and to make it easier to maybe sel them later. Not necessarily sell them for profit but just to make it easier to sell them.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    So that PCGS can confirm that I'm truly an idiot, and to insure their employees get a paycheck, becuase it's obvious that I don't need the money,... heck, I just spend it on more money.

On another note: Keets, the answer to the "movie' question, I believe is; The Spy Who Loved Me

The Rede we live by: If it harms none, do what you will.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Other. I have done it in the past because:

1. I felt like it
    2. I wanted to profit from it (resell)
    3. For registry purposes
    4. For validation of my grading
    5. For better type holder for coin
    6. Because I can

By that same token, I haven't submitted a coin for grading in over 3-4 months and don't see it happening again for at least most of this year. I have taken to raw coin collecting for now. Or buying slabbed coins. I like saving money that way.
  • Options
    Registry set only for me.
    Author of MrKelso's official cheat thread words of wisdom on 5/30/04. image
    imageimage
    Check out a Vanguard Roth IRA.
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't submit coins for grading. I like to purchase coins that are already graded, so that someone else has already paid the grading fee. image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file