Home U.S. Coin Forum

Local Coin Clubs

CladiatorCladiator Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
Howdy...

I have been entertaining the idea of joining my local coin club but really don't have any idea what they are for. What goes on at coin club meetings? Is is just a place where everyone gets to talk to each other? Are there usually functions? Does it usually cost money? I know none of you can speak for the actual club in my area but I'm looking for advice in general about "coin clubs". Thanks.

Comments

• My local club meets once a month for about two hours. We have a "show and tell" which is mostly done by our YNs and we have a speaker who will make a presentation for about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes. Most speakers focus on a particular series, but some have conducted informal grading clinics, coins from a particular historical period, etc. We've had a swap night which was very well attended. We also have drawings for door prizes (all YNs get something - one drawing for the adults).

A brief mention of my club is in the Feb 9th Coin World - cover story on the '93-S Morgan our club's Secretary found. I look at the club as a way to learn, meet fellow collectors, and promote the hobby. Nuturing the YNs is a big part of that, and is a lot of fun.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Mike
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The range of what goes on a club meets is quite wide. Some clubs have advanced collectors who disuss topics and collect pieces that may or may not be of interest to you. Others consist of mostly beginning and low level collectors who might get excited over finding a silver dime in circulation. Some clubs allow dealers to set up at their meetings and hold what amounts to a "mini coin show." Others forbid dealers to set up and may only allow members to quietly exchange coins out of the public view. I've belonged to various different clubs that had all of these policies.

The best way to find out about your local club is to go to a meeting and see what it is like. That way you can decide if it will enhance your enjoyment of the hobby.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • As BillJones said...can't hurt to go to a meeting. It's interesting to meet other people. The problem, as I see it, is the aging collecting population. I'm 44, and other than the odd YN who will probably give up to other "pressures" in his teens, I'm about the youngest person at meetings.
    Support your local clubs.
    We need to bring the 20-somethings back into the hobby and keep them....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file