Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is a type set supposed to be all the same grade?

What are the "rules"?
GottaGetCoins

Currently attempting the 12 Coin US Gold Type Set and the 20th Century US Major Coin Type Set. Completed a Franklin Half Proof Set.

Comments

• Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    I think most people try to get a matched set.IMHO I would.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    WOW! Thats gonna make by US Gold Type set real tough to acquire. I didnt realize that...OUCH!
    GottaGetCoins

Currently attempting the 12 Coin US Gold Type Set and the 20th Century US Major Coin Type Set. Completed a Franklin Half Proof Set.
  • Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    If you do a complete type set, those bust half dollars in MS69 are going to be tough -or- those Sac dollars in AU50 will cost a lot just for the plastic.

No there is no set rule they have to be, or even close to being, the same grade.

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lotsa $$$$$$$$$$'s!

Ken
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭
    In general, from an appearance stand point it is nice to get the coins to look similar. So an XF and MS65 may not look as nice togehter as an MS64 and MS65 or an XF40 and AU50.

Since it is your set to enjoy, in the end you make your own rules so that you are happy with what you put together.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there are no absolute "rules"

most people are guided by "buy the best you can reasonably afford"

which, as others have pointed out, varies by the date, usually the oldest coins are lower to mid-circulated grades, and modern coins are gem proof, with the remaining coins somewhere in the middle:

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Don't worry about matching grade.

Type collecting can really be done any way you want. The best part is you don't have to get the keys of a series (but some type collectors just do keys).

Buy the highest grade you can afford for that type, which usually is the most common date.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What are the "rules"? >>

Of course, there are no real "rules" per se -- just whatever seems appropriate to you. The best you can do is see what others are doing and synthesize your own guidelines from there.

So, here's how I'm doing my "type set":

1) Modern coinage (Dead presidents) -- MS66
    2) The rest of the 20th century (Barber forward) -- MS64
    3) Most of the 19th century -- AU58
    4) 18th century into early 19th century -- VF30

This should provide a pleasing set without being too budget busting (exceptions abound, of course).

Here's another way to do it: pick a dollar value per coin (within reason). Say, $200 per coin. This becomes your average buy price per coin. Invariably it will mean that you get very high end specimens for moderns and very low end specimens for old stuff -- but it will make for a "consistent" collection.

Ultimately, do what pleases you most, and what makes most sense to you.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What the last two said, and what prooflike said.

Baley is showing off again. Not that I blame him. There is solid proof that eye candy does not have to be in a slab to be appealing.
    A nicely matched set. But I'll warrant they ain't all the same grade. What would you say the numerical point spread is between your highest and your lowest, Baley?

Why not start small, with the little 8-piece 20th century Major Design gold type set? I completed that set in all MS63. If I had branched out to the bigger sets, I am sure I would have had to set a lower minimum grade goal on the older coins.

What I did when I completed a combined 19th and 20th century (nongold) slabbed type set on my own, before the Registry, was set goals like this:

Pre-1820 coins: Fine or Better.
    I would have gone for VF or EF but I was on a much smaller budget, then ($500 per coin or less) and that Draped Bust silver was the toughest stuff in the whole set. In fact, I ended up settling for a G6 on the Draped half dime and a VG on the Bust dollar.

Pre-1900 coins: VF or Better.
    Preferably EF-MS. Mostly ended up with AU- the average numerical grade of the entire set, when finished, was 53-something. In other words, AU. This included the lower graded early stuff and the supergraded modern stuff.

Post-1900 coins:
    MS/PR62 and up. I think I kept it all above MS/PR63, and mostly MS/PR65 or over.

So you see, if you are covering two centuries of coinage, as I did, you will have an obstacle in exactly matching all the grades, because not only are the coins from different eras, but they were manufactured differently as well. Best to break it down into subcategories of some sort.

Make up your own categories and set your own goals and parameters, as long as they make sense of some sort.

That's just one of the many joys of type collecting. Freedom, and variety.

PS- that "buy the best you can afford" advice is sound. Once you know your budget, you can go from there with the goals and parameters you set for your collection.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I go for originality--as long as I like every coin I have, I don't care about the grade
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    What would you say the numerical point spread is between your highest and your lowest, Baley?

around 30.

• Options
    Im getting a lot of great advice...things I would've never thought of...its really appreciated!!!!
    GottaGetCoins

• Options
    Rules? Damn... then I wasted 8 years... image

For me it was grab what you can afford now, finsh the Type Set, then upgrade as you find better examples of each coin...

I'm almost done with the Type Set and I'm working on upgrading...
    ~Richard Dorrance
  • Options
    hookedoncoinshookedoncoins Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭
    With my set, I try to buy what I can afford. So far, everything ranges from AU55 - MS69, but I will probably have to accept more circulated coins as I delve further back.

P.S. - Baley... nice w/ rays shield nickelimage
  • Options
    The rules are to collect whatever makes you happy.
    I go from Poor-01 (Chain Cent) to moderns in MS69. I try to
    buy as nice as I can afford, but don't worry if a draped bust
    quarter slides down to good since I would rather have a low
    grade example than no example.
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    Cool set, Baley.

Showoff!

• Options
    I can't wait until I'm able to take pics of my type set and show off... it's not as nice as baley's but I've got a few that could have a goo at Baley's. image
    ~Richard Dorrance
  • Options
    Baley... nice w/ rays shield nickel ~ hookedoncoins

heh, the old one was out for upgrade when the pics were taken, here's what went in that hole:

1234567890 is right about the upgrades... it never ends!

• Options
    What do you want for that? A Kidney? An Arm? image
    ~Richard Dorrance
  • Options
    PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭
    I vehemently disagree that they should all be the same grade. I even disagree that a "matched' set looks best. Look at Baley's. The drastic differences between gray toned silver and bright shiny new nickel please the eye. It makes the whole page sparkly and faceted. Its far more interesting than the same grade, same luster. In my type set, I've made efforts to sometimes have two coins next to each other be different looking (though sometimes same grade) ie. toned vs white, and efforts to have two look the same. It makes a pattern of organized chaos, and its pretty as hell. It's kind of like a macroism of toning on a coin, all over the place, but as a whole, very attractive.

PS Baley, I hear you are looking for a Lib Cap cent in AG or G and might consider trading a 20center. If this is true, PM me.
  • Options
    Whenever I build a set, I'm looking for coins that "match" in terms of eye appeal, rather than grade. If a nice AU looks as good to the eye as an MS64, it's in! An MS63 with less eye appeal isn't as well suited, IMHO.

MIke
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
  • Options
    Here's my type set so far (I'll look for any excuse to post it image) I just go for the highest grade I can afford. And I try and place grades that look attractive next to each other. I like the variety of different grades, unlike my Morgan date set that has similar grades.

Bill

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file