Home U.S. Coin Forum

Opinion on Bust half.

Looks like a nice original coin. What do you think for grade?

Comments

• XF-45.

Cameron Kiefer
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    XF-40 (even though your photo label says NCG-45)... image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭
    I think its a 40 all day long. Possibly 45
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like a nice original coin. >>

I'll say! That's the epitome of a true coin to enjoy for both history and beauty
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Stuart, I didn't even notice.image Not my scans, I'm trying to get opinions before purchase.
  • MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    Hmmm.......... I'm impressed by the date, but not by the eye appeal. It looks too washed out to me, and looks very unoriginal. Like perhaps some wanker dipped it to try and make it look like an XF or AU, and now it's trying to tone some character back. But I guess I'm in the minority....image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Thanks for the opinions.image
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,023 ✭✭✭✭✭
    EF45 without a doubt. It has an above average strike and if there are signs of lustre, I don't think AU50 is unreasonable. It does look original and it is nice. A coin worthy of the most serious consideration.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• nepbrs44nepbrs44 Posts: 600 ✭✭
    It's a 40............could go 45 as early date CBH's where weak strikes in general.
    Bill.

Bust Half & FSB Merc Collector
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like a nice original EF coin. I would not like it as a ChEF, but can see why some would say it's ChEF.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Thanks again for the opinions. I e-mailed Alpine and reserved the coin. He also grades it as EF40.
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    EXCELLENT coin, that's the way to grade it properly.

K S
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    you do NOT grade 1808 (& 1807) the same as any other capped bust date! this is a date that will always appear to be 1/2 to 1 full grade lower than it is. i would concur w/ ngc's grade, assuming the luster is appropriate.

alpine is not my favorite vendor, but i would have bought that coin in a split second for xf-40 money.

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file