Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grade my most recent Bust Half buy...I think you'll love it..

This is one of the most recent Bust Halfs that I got at a coin show ...

Tell me what you think... coin actually looks a little better than pics show

Its been graded by both PCGS and NGC, both came back with same grade...

I love it....image

Randy

Comments

• Options
    FullHornFullHorn Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imagegreat coin! I dont know anything about Bust Halves but I if I have to guess I would say..............................MS64
  • Options
    VarlisVarlis Posts: 505 ✭✭✭
    Awesome coin!

It's hard for me to grade bust stuff this high . . . MS-60/2???

Looks great.

• Options
    hookedoncoinshookedoncoins Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭
    Incredible coin. I have been looking for this type for a while and must say that is a keeper.
    I will say MS63/4.
  • Options
    Just beautiful!
    I would say MS 63+ ,very rarely found in that condition and getting rarer every year.
    Most people don't turn loose of a coin like that if they are Bust Half collectors.image
  • Options
    I don't know squat about Bust Halfs, but if you want to sell it I'll definitely get quickly educated image
    The Rede we live by: If it harms none, do what you will.
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crazy4Coins: Your Reeded Edge Bust Half is very attractive -- Out of curiosity, why was it graded by both NGC and PCGS ??

I'd guess MS-63 or 64...

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
  • Options
    Crazy4CoinsCrazy4Coins Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭
    Hey Stuart,

Thanks for all the good info you've offered..you've been alot of help..

The dealer I bought the Bust Half from had actually submitted it to PCGS once and NGC twice, trying to get a better grade on it I guess.

Randy
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Multiple submissions for upgrade is usually a sign of a high eye appeal coin that may be technically held down at a more affordable grade, with a significant price increase at the next higher grade. Sounds good to me!!

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like it is in a 63 holder. Nice coin indeed!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options

Good Morning,

At least its morning here anyway..

Hey.... you people are pretty good at grading coins.. better than me.. I'm pretty accurate up until you get into the MS grades 60 up. It seems it doesn't take much for a coin to change grade at this level. I guess thats why there are so many resubmissions..

My Bust Half pictured is holdered by NGC @ MS64.

The dealer I bought it from had it graded twice by NGC and once by PCGS all came back MS64..

I bought it because I felt it was a strong 64 and it has great eye appeal.The coin in hand looks even nicer than the pics... I'll probable send it in again down the road and hope it comes back 65.

Thanks for your input.

Randy

• Options
    TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    Randy,
    This really looks like a realy nice type coin. It looks a little dark on the scan if real may detract from its appeal despite the great luster that surely comes through on both sides. Because of the dark scan it is hard to tell but it looks like a patch of hairlines on rt upper obv field and a tic on the cheek. Are they there? If so they may account for the grade.
    Trime
  • Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    most excellent!
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    Very nice. Looks like a sharp strike.
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS65?
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    very nice. I like the bronzed color that some old silver gets.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options

Hello Trime,

Thanks for the feedback..I actually took this pic with my digital camera and darken it just slightly to get rid of some glare from the slab.I'm still learning my camera and haven't quite got it right yet.There is definetly lots of luster on both sides.There are no hairlines on the coin at all.There are only four nicks on the entire coin, all very very small.One is on the cheek to the right and up a little from what your seeing in photo,thats just a light reflection from a scrath on the slab I couldn't get rid of,there is one more on the neck left center on throat,another between bottom two stars on left and one between second and third stars from the top on right.No marks on the reverse at all.I think the toning is whats keeping it down a grade.The only wear on the coin is on the reverse,top left feather.I wish I could get some better pics so you could see the real appeal this coin has....image

I have a 1800 Bust dollar I'm going to post later.I'm having trouble determining the variety and grade.

Thanks to all, image

Randy
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    Is this one of those projects were you send it to PCGS and NGC for 50 times hoping it will come back MS65 and then it would be worth it?

I am always slightly concerned when I crack a valuable coin out of its plastic - never know when some sort of damage may occur keeping it from ever getting 64 again.

One thing you might try is a $150 walkthrough at a major show - not sure but I have heard that borderlines occasionally get bumped up more there.

What is keeping it from 65 now? not enough luster?

great coin - no matter what the shell says
  • Options

Yep.. I agree with you " fivecents " if we could only convince PCGS and NGC , they say MS64
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sure is a keeper.Great strike,clean fields.Al
  • Options
    Hey sinin1,

When you do a walkthrough at a coin show,do you crack the coin out before or let them crack the coin out for you.Or does letting them see the previous grade make them bias at all...

Randy

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file