Home U.S. Coin Forum

A public thanks to the dealers who post here

I've been enjoying these boards for all most two years now and just wanted to thank some of folks like Mike Printz, coinguy1 aka Mark, Laura, Anaconda, monsterman (who isn't a dealer but who's knowlege is invaluable), Andy, GSA, Bill Jones, RKKay and many more.

Your input and expertise has broadened my knowledge of coins and the industry and quite frankly made this hobby more enjoyable for me. I enjoy the posting of your coins and the explanations that go along with them. Particularly I look forward to Marks photos and comparisons and found Mike Printz's posting of the 35D Walker very interesting. I only wish you would post more threads like this one.

To those dealers I missed just an oversight not a message. I encourage all of the knowlegeable dealers to post more often and share their knowlege.

Thanks again,
Mike

Comments

• krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I'll second that. I know they sometimes take a beating here when they offer opinions, more so than when a non-dealer says the same thing. I definitely appreciate them sharing their knowledge and insights and for having a thick skin.

You said it very well, Mike.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    posting of the 35D Walker very interesting

Yes, I too thought that was very interesting and educational -- especially to newbs who love the series and need to learn the nuances of which strike is a major issue.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dealers do offer a valuable perspective of the hobby. Most of those who post here
    do so much more to share information than to attempt to make sales or promote their
    business. They do all deserve a thanks.

Tempus fugit.
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll jump in here and agree some of the dealers that post here have shared valuable information with us. It's always good to meet or see them at a show as well. Although it might seem like I give them a ribbing at times, so far when I've met them in person I've not been slapped or yelled at by any of them. Actually, I have good business relationships with them as well as a friendly one. Their presence can be educational as well as entertaining.

And sometimes it's nice to see their input even if it's only for a good chuckle.image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Here , here In totally agreeimage
  • Altho I am still considered somewhat new here, I too, would like to throw my appreciation into the mix, for all who post and have helped to educate me in many various ways.
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭
    Yeah I think the 4 or 5 dealers that actually contribute something here are great guys. Thanks guys!
    And the rest of them are just spamming weasels.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • gemtone65gemtone65 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    Without doubt, the participation of the people Irish Mike mentoned is one of the key reasons why this Forum is so valuable and interesting. Among other things, these individuals serve as senior judges or umpires helping to sort out opinon from fact, almost always leading the readership to a better understanding of coin market dynamics.
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Thankyou dealer folk. since I have no clue about business in general it has been enlightening for me. I'll have to buy more coins from you guys in the future.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WHAT?

Some non-dealers post here?

• I have only had dealings with a couple of the dealers mentioned here, Mark Feld (Pinnacle), and Mike Printz (Larry Whitlow), and I agree that the info they have contributed, and all of the other dealers that have contributed, has been very informative, and very beneficial to this forum...... There are some very knowledgeable collectors on this forum that have been very beneficial to contributing their knowledge to this forum also.image
  • Reads like some major sucking-up from someone expressing an interest, across the street, in becoming a full-time vestpocket dealer.

• RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Reads like some major sucking-up from someone expressing an interest, across the street, in becoming a full-time vestpocket dealer. >>

Maybe he can get some tips from this "successfull" dealer. image

Russ, NCNE
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Reads like some major sucking-up from someone expressing an interest, across the street, in becoming a full-time vestpocket dealer.

image >>

Actually that would be an oxymoron, it's only going to be an occasional venture. BTW I noticed you have purchased from me on ebay. Guilty as charged, if expressing gratitude is sucking up, then I gladly own up to it. I look forward to transacting more deals with you.
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IrishMike:

You know what I like....would always be happy to see what you have!imageimage

Dog97 - ditto.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    Well said, except for one dyspeptic and sarcastic comment.

It would seem that not everyone is having a good day today.

We have many dealers on these Forums, and I have found almost

all of them to be refreshing sources of interesting views and opinions.

Well done dealers, keep up the good work.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree. Thanks to all of you dealers who post oftten on this forum to share your professional numismatic and also business perspective with us collectors, which helps us better understand some of the finer nuances of coin grading and evaluation, and also enlightens us to some of your unique challenges as dealers. image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I totally agree with Bear's remarks - and reiterate my thank to IrishMike for posting this message........you guys really shine.

Marc
  • gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    Keep those GSA questions coming guys and I promise I'll do my best.image

GSAGUY
  • TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Ok Here's one. When is the book coming out???????
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭
    As one of the dealers mentioned by IrishMike, I'd like to thank him for being nice enough (and brave enoughimage ) to start a thread like this. I would also like to thank others for their positive comments about dealers.

It is good to see that our contributions are sometimes helpful and appreciated by non-dealer forum members. Positive feedback can help get us through some of those tough (flame) times.

Personally, I enjoy many of the posts by other dealers, even on those occasions when we have differences of opinion. There is plenty to be learned here, from many different contributors.
  • ms71ms71 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The dealers mentioned in this thread give us non-dealers the benefit of a market view we wouldn't otherwise have access to. I find their contributions extremely interesting and enlightening, some of the best stuff to be enjoyed here in the forum. Thanks guys (though I still can't forgive Bill Jones for moving from Mass. to Florida - the monthly Nashua show just ain't the same without him).
    Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • mepotmepot Posts: 585 ✭✭✭
    Ms71,
    We have Bill Jones down here now,and he sure had some nice stuff in his case at the Ocala ,Fl coin show yesterday. Your loss is our gain.You'll just have to be a snowbird and come down here in the winter! image
    computer illiterate,becoming coin literate with the help of this forum.
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hear, hear. Always great to hear from the dealers in this forum, even when we disagree with 'em image
  • Don`t forget Tonelover of RCNH. image
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    The dealers who participate in these forums are a wealth of knowledge. We've never too old to learn. (Shut up you newbies) .

Dealers impart aspects of collecting that many of us collectors fail to recognize. Alot of them follow up questions via "PM" which seems to go well above and beyond "the call for duty". My grateful thanks for all of you who have been honest and sincere. And........image... to those of you who havn't.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    Coin guy-1, you didnt win the Golden Globe award, it was just

a simple thank you. Its not necessary to thank your producer, director,

fellow thespians and all of the little people.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Thanks to the dealers image
    Michael
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭
    Bear, I thought I HAD won a Golden Globe award - darn! image

Award or no award, I had considered not posting to this thread, but felt it was important to acknowledge such comments and to thank those who had made them.
  • FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    The true value of a forum is the exchange of opinions, facts, and attitudes from all perspectives. I have learned much from the dealers here. I thank you too.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file