Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

For those that enjoy Walking Liberty Half Dollars

Many of you that have collected or continue to collect Walking Liberty Halves know how truly tough the 1935 D is to find in MS65 or 66, especially with truly full head detail. This date just does not come struck up on Miss Liberty's head......or so many believe. I thought I'd share these images of a 1935 D PCGS MS66 I sold a few years ago that I had the chance to see once again this afternoon. It is not for sale, but I requested the collector bring it in so I could image the coin since I remembered it being the finest strike of this date I had ever seen......it is in fact just that.....a truly impressive strike. It has what I think many would consider a Full Head for this date along with very nice hand detail as well. Enjoy.......I know Puff will!!!

Mike Printz
Larry Whitlow, Ltd.
and a close-up of Miss Liberty's Head
Mike Printz
Harlan J. Berk, Ltd.
https://hjbltd.com/#!/department/us-coins

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Yum, yum. The strike looks like a P mint from the 40's. Very crisp, very nice!

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    HadleydogHadleydog Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭
    Very nice!
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Great looking coin, Mike.

For comparison purposes, here is another PCGS MS66 I "saw" recently:

• Options
    FinallyHereFinallyHere Posts: 822 ✭✭✭
    Mark,

Nice coin as well.....but would you not agree that this is one of the best heads you have seen for this date? Over the years I've owned several examples of this date from MS64-66 and I've not seen a better all around strike. I know you've seen a few as well....what say you?
    Mike Printz
    Harlan J. Berk, Ltd.
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Mike - What are you starting ?.........A Full Head Designation for Walking Liberty Half Dollars?

Mark - What is with you today? first with Laura and now with Mike Printz? Is there some sort of insecurity issue going on today?

Stewart
  • Options
    Stew,

Nah....relax. This date is just VERY tough with real head detail....let alone hand and head detail....and I thought I share with those that might care.

Mike
    Mike Printz
    Harlan J. Berk, Ltd.
  • Options

<< <i>.....but would you not agree that this is one of the best heads you have seen for this date? >>

Mike, I would wholeheartedly agree!

<< <i>Mark - What is with you today? first with Laura and now with Mike Printz? Is there some sort of insecurity issue going on today? >>

Stewart, what is it with YOU today? I wasn't giving Mike any trouble. In fact, I think the coin he posted is better looking and better struck than the one I posted images of. I also thought it would be informative/illustrative to some, to display images of another such coin - any problem with that?

Now, quit looking for trouble and let us get back to coins, Stew!image
  • Options
    Mark,

For the record, I was happy you posted another example and did not think anything of it other than you posted it for comparison purposes.....and it's useful!!! Thanks for doing so.

Mike
    Mike Printz
    Harlan J. Berk, Ltd.
  • Options
    Thank you, Mike - I'm glad you feel that way, even if Stewart feels otherwise.image

Edited to add - here's another one to compare with:

• Options
    Nice coins Mike and Mark!image But since this is a pizzin contest on who's got the best 1935-D PCGS ms66.....Just couldn't resist.... Maybe one of you knowledgeable guys would pull this up for me.image
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for this thread. Apparently, complete head detail is rare on a number of Walkers of pre-short-set dates. I have a 36S in 6 which is a nice coin (Mark has seen it), but apparently, one of them with full head detail is also rare.

I do not collect Walkers (my coin is for a type set). Do people pay significant premiums for coins llike this? If not, what sort of premiums do people pay for them?
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    Here you go Puff, as per your request, even if this isn't a contest. But, I think Mike wins, hand's down - yours has what looks to be a chunk of metal missing on the right side of both the obverse and reverse. image

• Options
    All very nice coins. I didn't really realize that head detail was as soft on so many issues, as with Standing Libs (my personal favorite).

Actually, coinguy1's "better this way or better that way" post a couple weeks back opened my eyes to that. Mark, your threads are always interesting and informative.

Thanks to everyone for sharing.

David
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many dealer cat fights today. Gotta love-um. Must be the "HOT" market huh?image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Here you go Puff, as per your request, even if this isn't a contest. But, I think Mike wins, hand's down - yours has what looks to be a chunk of metal missing on the right side of both the obverse and reverse. image

image Damn Mark don't scare me like that! I had to look twice to see where the chunk was missing!image Thanks for posting it for me!image

On the Mike wins "hands down" B.S. though I don't agree..... His ain't got the color!image

Hey stman I ain't no dealer.... Please don't classify me with those scoundrels!imageimage
  • Options
    Don't worry Puff. I know you're not a dealer. They know who they are.
  • Options
    This is NOT a pizzin contest....as some have suggested...image I posted this thread simply for those that had a sincere interest in learning that 35 D halves can in fact come with a full head.......it's a matter of waiting for the right coin! This is what I don't understand.....you post a thread like this to help......and you catch crap for it? Really makes one want to do it again...image

Elcontador...with respect to your question about Walkers selling for premiums for this kind of detail.....the answer is yes. I know that I will certainly pay a premium for a well struck example of a date that is not normally found as such.....and there are many collectors that will do the same.

Puff - Mark's right....your coin has some huge chunks missing from the right and left sides.....perhaps it has been clipped...image

Mike
    Edited for spelling
    Mike Printz
    Harlan J. Berk, Ltd.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Ladies and gentlemen, I have just come back from a bussiness

meeting and have read this thread. And I am somewhat appaled by the

responses of some of the Forum Members. We have all often said that we appreciate the input

and comments of reputable dealers in enlightning and educating us about the bussines of coin

and the coins them selves. Then when dealers, without any commercial interest, attempt to show

examples of strikes for difficult years of a series some of you pick at them. Then when another

reputable dealer attempts to continue the tutorial by showing other examples some of you try

to make it a testosterone contest of champions. Further,when laura and Mark disagreed this morning,

it was an honest and heartfelt difference of opinion between reputable dealers. We should all be

thankful that we are priveleged to hear the thoughts of these people. We dont have to agree with

their opinions, but we must show them the respect they are due. All of these fine dealers have better

ways to spend their time and yet they choose to share their thoughts and time with us. We collectors

might snarl and fight with one another from time to time, but we should show these decent folks from

the coin industry , appreciation and good manners. Now if I have to verbally chastise anyone again,

you will be sent to your rooms and no computors or T.V. for the rest of the week.

There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options

<< <i>Now if I have to verbally chastise anyone again,you will be sent to your rooms and no computors or T.V. for the rest of the week. >>

Bear, if you ever chastise me for anything, would you consider sending me to my room, with no T.V. but let me keep using my computer? Please?image
  • Options
    Mark, I will take it under advisement.image
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Mike or any other dealer, if anything I've said in jest offended you please accept my sincere apology. Thought you knew me better than that. It's a nice Walker and thanks for sharing. You take this board too serious imo sometimes. And Bear... oh never mind.image
  • Options
    Well, Bear, when you consider it, think about the honey and nice coins I'll be holding in front of your noseimage
  • Options
    MMMMMMMMMMMMM honey and nice coins.image
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Bear,

You are eloquent with words!!! However, the punishment needs to fit the crime...and I think you might have been a bit harsh.....image

Stman - not to worry....I was not taking you too seriously, but I was trying to make a necessary point though. I'm a tad more thick skinned than that.....image Just ask Markimage

Good night all......headed home to the kiddies!!!

Mike
    Mike Printz
    Harlan J. Berk, Ltd.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finally Here: Awesome 35-D!

I also love the way you do that closeup as an added picture!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Very pretty Walker Mike. I no nothing about which dates in the Walker series are tougher then others with full heads but the close up picture sure looks well defind to me as well as very clean surfaxes even for the grade of 66.

One thing I've always been curious about though is why the grading services designate full head on standing liberty quarters but not on walking liberty halves when they both command premiums for the same strike charecteristics and both started in 1916 ?

Les
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • Options
    "One thing I've always been curious about though is why the grading services designate full head on standing liberty quarters but not on walking liberty halves when they both command premiums for the same strike charecteristics and both started in 1916 ?"

Les, Walkers really don't command the same kind of premium as SLQ's for strike and part of this is due to the FH designation and part is due to the fact that most dates in the Walker series have typical strike characteristics from date to date (hence the reason I used this 35 D). The only reason I chose to use the 35 D was due to the fact that many who have collected Walkers and that are familiar with this date know just how hard it is to find with a real Full Head. I would suspect that some believe the 35 D simply does not come with a Full Head......and this coin illustrates the fact that they exist.

Orve - glad you liked the close-up. I've been trying to do this type of thing on my site with Mercury Dimes (the bands), SLQ's showing close ups of the head detail, and with some overdate coins as well. I thought perhaps it might aid in folks making a better buying decision if they could see some close-ups.

Mike

Mike Printz
    Harlan J. Berk, Ltd.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file