Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Would you leave it as is?

Lets say you have a MS65 or 66 PCGS graded morgan that is flashy white with nice luster but it has a few tiny carbon spots. The coin is solid for the grade and even if the spots were gone, it would still grade the same. I hate carbon spots. Would you crack the coin out and try to remove the spots? Is it best just to leave it as is and not gamble with cleaning?
Looking for a coin club in Maryland? Try:
FrederickCoinClub

Comments

• Options
    Leave it. Carbon spots kinda blow, but they're better than scratch marks and MS63 or worse. I wouldnt take the risk personally.
  • Options
    I agree I would just leave it. To much risk in damaging the coin.
  • Options
    MercMerc Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    I also had a SLquarter that was graded MS65 but had some ugly spotty toning. It hurt the eye appeal some and I wanted to remove it. Still, the same coin untoned would grade the same. I was afraid to take the risk and just sold it as is.
    FrederickCoinClub
  • Options
    Curt:
    It would depend on the overall aesthetics of the coin. Without a photo, its hard to tell. Either way, the opinion rendered would be subjective, so in the end its your call, but its fun to share, post a photo and we'll chime in.
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If this isn't hypothetical, and you own this Morgan, it sounds like the carbon spots are bothering you. If so, do you regret purchasing the coin, or did you like the coin enough (with the spots) to purchase it anyway?

I'd suggest that if you can't live with it as is, sell it and use the money to purchase another more to your liking. That's a safer alternative to trying to crack out the coin and remove the spots -- and it may also be more cost effective...

As WingedLiberty suggested, we'd love to see a photo of the coin in question.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414
    That was my question. If you don't like spots why did you buy it? If you bought it?
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since a MS66 morgan has serious value, I'd send it to NCS to make sure you don't blow it image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    hookedoncoinshookedoncoins Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭
    I didn't think a morgan could grade MS66 with spots.

If you really thought it would improve, I would do as Jeremy said and send it to NCS.
  • Options
    MercMerc Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    Hi. Thanks for the replies.

Some asked why I bought it if it had spots. Well, it was an ebay buy and the spots were small enough not to show up on the picture. The coin was very flashy and it didn't cost too much so I kept it. Now I can't stand the spots (2 tiny ones on the cheek). I've dipped these coins before and sometime the spot comes off and somtimes it doesn't. I think I'm just going to sell it and use the money to buy something better.
    FrederickCoinClub
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    WHY do you hate carbon spots? they are a sure sign that the coin is ORIGINAL!!!

K S
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Karl. An original coin has much more appeal to me than a dipped shiney one. mike
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't fool with cracking & cleaning it. Chances are it's already been dipped anyway and black spots have a habit of coming back because most of the time they are slag marks, that is, impurities in the silver alloy and can't be removed.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file