Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

yep another rip off in the making

Comments

• Options
    rottnrogrottnrog Posts: 683 ✭✭✭
    I emailed the seller yesterday and informed him that cents were copper in 1978, but alas no reply!!! image
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you get a reply, you might get the response I got years ago from an outfit that was offering an obvious counterfiet: "We have a very liberal return policy."image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Ummmm, aren't all normal coins "single strike"? They're struck once by a pair of dies.

Perhaps it's a total lamination of the reverse, but then how would it still have a raised rim on the reverse?
    Normal copper cent is 3.11 grams, not 2.5 grams as auction states. 2.5g is weight of normal zinc cent. Perhaps the low weight indicates it is in fact a total lamination of some sort?

But, then how to account for what appear to be parallel grinder marks on top of coin in the picture?

I'd guess reverse was ground/filed off, and that accounts for reduced weight.
    "A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs
  • Options
    rottnrogrottnrog Posts: 683 ✭✭✭
    Yep, someone tries to sell one of those every now and then, and some sucker is going to get taken!!! image
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

<< <i>But, then how to account for what appear to be parallel grinder marks on top of coin in the picture?
    image >>

maybe checking to see if they can find zinc!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file