Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Help from the Darksiders

Hi guys, this is my first post on this forum and I need a little help/information.

My brother was on vacation and brought me back a souvenier from New Zealand.

It is a New Zealand Gold Sovereign from 1907. Edward the VII on one side, what appears to be a Trojan warrior on horseback on the other. Not sure which is the obverse and reverse.

The date is on the side with the Warrior on horseback. Size looks to be about 1/4 ounce American Eagle size, maybe just a bit larger. It seems thinner than an American Eagle.

I'd give the grade AU but I don't know anything about these coins so I could be way off. No wear on coin, just minor hairline type surface scratches. From my knowledge of US gold coins, it doesn't appear to be cleaned.

He sent the bag it came in, a place called The Gold Shop, in Arrowtown, NZ, so I gather it is some sort of jewelry/coin type place. They told him it was 22 carat.

Any information would be most appreciated, gold content, approximate value, etc.

Thanks in advance.
"Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff

Comments

• Options
    hookedoncoinshookedoncoins Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭
    I would like to help you on the value, but my 20th century krause is about 300 miles away. I'm sure someone will chime in pretty soon.

I just wanted to welcome you over to the darkside. Seems to be quite a number of lightsiders passing through as of late.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the Darkside, Deadhorse.

Please give the coin back. As you well know, gold is worthless and as such deserves NO place in a proper investment portfolio. Instead, put your trust in the US dollar, and in real estate perhaps. Also, remember to be debt-free!!!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    WATCH OUT!!! Look at his post count!!!
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin, and yes it is a coin, sounds like a Sovereign. They were produced by the British in New Zealand. The coin is .917 gold with a AGW of .2354 oz. Worth around $100. or so.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

<< <i>WATCH OUT!!! Look at his post count!!! >>

I actually noticed that too. Kinda creepy... maybe its an omanimage.
  • Options
    As ajaan says but never minted in New Zealand

London no mintmark
    Sydney mintmark S
    Perth mintmark P
    Melbourne mintmark M

Reverse is St. George slaying the dragon. Mintmark if any to be found on the ground beneath the horse. Worth it's weight in gold but there is a small premium for a TRULY unc coin. The London mint is slightly scarcer than the rest.

This data is for 1907 only

EDIT TO ADD: it's a British coin.

L
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i> what appears to be a Trojan warrior on horseback on the other. Not sure which is the obverse and reverse. >>

Are you jerking our chain?image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Whats with the red spiky hair/fro. Looks an anime character.
  • Options
    Yeah I know... just never seen the devil with a fro. Guess he is trying to play to the new crowd.
  • Options
    Lloyd is correct, should have said produced for New Zealand.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> what appears to be a Trojan warrior on horseback on the other. Not sure which is the obverse and reverse. >>

Are you jerking our chain?image >>

No not at all, I am used to seeing the date on the obverse. I was sure the bust of Edward was the obverse, but then I saw the date on the side with the warrior.

Pretty odd about that post count, I really had no idea, I guess we all eventually have to have one of those if we hang long enough.

No mintmark on it, however, to the right of the date in very small letters is B. P.

British produced?? Or perhaps the engraver's initials. So basically, it seems that it has about the same gold content as a US Half Eagle of the same time period. I'm a little surprised at the value being little more than it's gold content.

It is nearly 100 years old and it looks to be AU, a very nice strike and a slightly rich tone as older gold often gets. I would think it would have some premium, but again, I am not a darksider.

Thanks for all the quick responses. I tried a Google and found alot of crap and badly worn similar types for sale, but no real knowledge. That's why this board is so cool. image
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
  • Options

<< <i>So basically, it seems that it has about the same gold content as a US Half Eagle of the same time period. I'm a little surprised at the value being little more than it's gold content.

It is nearly 100 years old and it looks to be AU, a very nice strike and a slightly rich tone as older gold often gets. I would think it would have some premium, but again, I am not a darksider. >>

Ahhhh but you see - that's the secret image
    knowledge ........ share it
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Are you jerking our chain?image >>

No not at all, I am used to seeing the date on the obverse. I was sure the bust of Edward was the obverse, but then I saw the date on the side with the warrior. >>

Sorry, I was not trying to be a jerk! It's just that there has been a good deal of troll posting around here of late.image

The reverse (the side with the date) shows "Saint George and the Dragon" designed by Benedetto Pistrucci and first used on the Sovereigns of 1817. It is one of those classic coin designs and in fact is still in use today.

Welcome to the Darkside, you'll find that most of the people who post here are quite wonderful and know their coins very well. We also tend to be quite helpful when someone shows up with a question, even if their post count happens to be at 666!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>I'm a little surprised at the value being little more than it's gold content. >>

The darkside may not be the place for someone who only "invests" in coins, but it's sure a great place to "collect" coins.image

Welcome new friend.
    Roy

• Options
    Oh, I don't consider this to be an investment, It was a gift from my brother.

It won't ever be sold, I actually have several darkside coins, but they are all gold. I like some of the designs, Isle of Mann, Pandas, Unicorns. Well, I guess the Unicorn is silver.

Anyway, thanks again for all the info. I'll try to lurk over here a little more often.

So, is it common for foreign coins to have the date on the reverse? That was a new one on me.
  • Options

<< <i> So, is it common for foreign coins to have the date on the reverse? That was a new one on me. >>

It is quite common for British coins to have the date on the reverse although quite a few have dates on the obverse. There is no set rule about which side the date appears on in Great Britain.

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Most Canadian coins have the date on the non-portrait side of the coin.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Unicorns. Well, I guess the Unicorn is silver. >>

Some of the unicorns are gold too...sorry no picture, just a couple auction links...

Gold Unicorn

Bi-metallic Unicorn

It sounds like you have a very nice sovereign! I was trying to think of a joke about mortgaging my house to get one, but I just am too sleepy to think of one...(see, some of the darksiders do a little reading on the other forums too image )

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Unicorns. Well, I guess the Unicorn is silver. >>

Some of the unicorns are gold too...sorry no picture, just a couple auction links...

Gold Unicorn

Bi-metallic Unicorn

It sounds like you have a very nice sovereign! I was trying to think of a joke about mortgaging my house to get one, but I just am too sleepy to think of one...(see, some of the darksiders do a little reading on the other forums too image ) >>

Thanks for the links. It's probably better that you were too sleepy for the other. image

I never knew so many people would be so interested in someone refinancing a home at a lower rate before. It seems I get either a Love or a Hate response, very little in the middle.

I am sure I'm not the first person to take out equity and invest it before. I suspect that some of the vile attacks were based on jelousy, but in at least one case I learned I am going to Hell for trying to make a profit. Maybe the 666 post was indeed an omen. image