Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Challange to PCGS to answer the question!!!

Last week I asked this question on the Q&A Forum...
.Grades are posted on the U. S. coin forum that were recieved on 12/18 as a modern submission while I have coins submitted under the same service level recieved on 12/12 and they are not done yet. I really don't understand this. Can you shed some light on this?...
.While they showed the question, they did not answer it. Well, I got to thinking that maybe they would get the coins in a few days and I need not worry. WRONG!!! What could be a good reason for shoddy service such as this? Don't get me wrong, I still want my coins in their holders. I just sent in a 10 coin submission on Saturday. But, I wish they would get their act straightened out...
.....Ken

Comments

• Options
    Better yet Ken, a challenge to improve their customer service and get the job done as per services paid for in advance!
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options
    It seems you, me and many others are experiencing the same BS. I sent 2 submissions at REG. rates..one on 12/23 raw and one (2) coins crossover on 12/30...Guess which one I just got in the mail today...the 30 th submission...Go figure! I probably got a (DNC) on the 23rd submission.image...My point being..SO MUCH FOR 15 BUSINESS DAYS...GUARANTEED...image
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,422 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It seems you, me and many others are experiencing the same BS. I sent 2 submissions at REG. rates..one on 12/23 raw and one (2) coins crossover on 12/30...Guess which one I just got in the mail today...the 30 th submission...Go figure! I probably got a (DNC) on the 23rd submission.image...My point being..SO MUCH FOR 15 BUSINESS DAYS...GUARANTEED...image >>

The guarantee is not good for when shows are going on. When you submitted, you had two shows to worry about, FUN and Long Beach. David Hall has already stated that January will be a bad month for waiting times on submissions because of the shows. He promised a shorter wait come February.

• Options
    He promised a shorter wait come February.

At this juncture I beleive NOTHING. Furthermore, and I don't want to take Ken's thread hostage; but this company is supposedly a PROFESSIONAL outfit...correct? If they stand by their reputation as I hear they do, they should compensate those that sumbit coins on the dates when they're not going to be there to do what they're basically hired for in the first place which is to grade coins and meet the alotted time frame. Remember, this is a PROFESSIONAL COIN GRADING COMPANY...at least I thought it was. I see NO professionalism whatsoever. In fact, poor Ken didn't even get a PROFESSIONAL reply. What he got was..is a RAM up the ole Pitute. I guess that's their professionalism...VERY, VERY image
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Day 82 and counting. Another couple weeks or so, and I'm going to get a little irritated.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    It is February!...My complaint is this, and only this. Why are coins of the service level not done in order of receipt? Last Tuesday a set of coins that were recieved 6 days after mine were finished. Now, its a whole week later and mine are still not finished. Does that seem to be fair or right to anyone??????
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,967 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No it doesn't.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    I believe that everyone wants to vent their frustration on these boards. Fact is PCGS is the grading service of choice for most submitters and when there is a line at the gate, we have to wait our turn. David has stated repeatedly he will not just hire any supposed grader to grade our coins. When demand exceeds supply you just have to wait your turn.

Would you feel any better if you could actually tell when your coins would be graded? Someone here came up with a great idea which David is looking into. Assigning a number when your coins are received, based on type of service. Then posting daily what numbers they will be grading. Steve
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Ken,

No, it doesn't seem fair and it really isn't. PCGS has noted before though that when coins are being graded, as the team that grades regular submissions gets caught up, they'll get a box from the economy submissions room and grade them. The extra boxes are taken without regard to order. That causes some boxes that have been there longer to languish.

I suggested a way to improve the system in this post to the Q & A, and I'm hopeful some variation of it can be implemented.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Steve,

You're missing Ken's point. His complaint is not about the turnaround time, but why submissions of the same tier are not graded on a FIFO basis. I agree with him. There have been multiple economy results posted for submissions that were received after the one I'm waiting on.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I do agree that coins received for a certain service should be graded in the order received. Don's post was the one I was referring to and I hope that David works to get it implemented. Steve
  • Options
    Ken,

I have a modern that's been in there since 12/2 and an economy since 11/17.

They are still in grading Im told. It's like salt in the wounds when I hear reports back for submissions sent in later!image

I understand your pain! Did you notice that now they say all types are counted by BUSINESS DAYS! What's with that?

Ah, to vent!image

Larry
    Dabigkahuna
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    Kenny Baby... have a beer......
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Kenny Baby... have a beer...........Lucy, I am. A Victory Hopdevil. Brings out the devil in me...image
  • Options
    devil = hotstuff
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Lucy, I am. A Victory Hopdevil. Brings out the devil in me...

Have one fer me Ken...on second thought, make that 2...image
  • Options
    Ken, I completely agree with you!
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    .This helps with the pain of not getting my coins back in a timely manner...
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Come on folks, let's not get carried away. We all know PCGS is doing their utmost to provide us with the quality of service that we expect.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    OK....EVERYBODY on this thread: have a beer. (except lucyBop; she seems pretty calm)image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    but I get very excited over those Frozen Strawberry Margaritas!!!!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,930 ✭✭✭✭
    Ken,

I just bought 120+ rolls of Lincolns to tide me over till I get my grades. I have come to the conclusion that nothing I say or do has any affect on this company and its service. I am happy to report that several NGC coins that I sold last weekend as well as ANACS slabs did very well. VERY well. If you have quality coins maybe you need to look elsewhere for service. Many people are realizing that ANACS is a diamond in the rough currently. I was also amazed at recent prices I rec'd with NGC slabs. Just a thought....I feel your pain!image
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    HOWS THIS ONE...

I sent in my 4 free "join up submissions"
    now i don't know what "tier" that falls under...but was pleased that the turn around was november 15th to december 12th.
    as i looked at my 4 only submissions i noted that they somehow "missed the boat" on correctly identifying one coins variety.
    which means the holders label says 19** proof 67 red instead of 19** proof 67 tripled die obverse (which they do recognize)

that makes my coin be in the list with several hundred other plain old proofs of the same year. (correctly graded its a total pop 4 coin)

so ....I call them....some phone girl informed me that pcgs graders "don't make mistakes like that" because my coin went through 3
    separate graders hands....and their consensus was that the coin wasn't the die variety.

I cracked the coin out of a anacs holder as the very coin i submitted...a 19** proof 67 tripled die obverse.

so I asked to talk to someone "higher up" ....i was connected to "Julie" Mr. Halls personal assistant....(very nice lady)

she said..."send it to me with validating documentation ...send no money...if your right, we'll fix it !....send it in for presidential reveiw"

this coin is listed by every book there is...i sent photo's of the books pictures, several photo's of the actual coin(now in their holder)
    and a picture of the coins old anacs label...about a dozen pictures.

she said "send no money" but I did anyway...the return shipping and insurance cost.

it went back out to pcgs on the 20th ....they sent me an e-mail on the 23rd saying that they've recieved my order (?)

its now been 43 days after the the first 28 days of getting it wrong !

all they had to do was crack it .......verify the variety......re-holder it....and ship it! .............they've already graded it!

I cannot fathom the hold up!

• Options
    send your coins to NGC if you want them completed in a timely manner. For dealers the $24 ($30 non dealers) service takes 12 business days even when there are shows. $43 ($50 non dealers) dealer rate gets the coins graded in 24 hours!!!!!! $12.50 economy takes 3.5 weeks.

NGC grades even when there are shows.

the choice is yours.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Or send them to ANACS. I sent 5 coins for $75 for their 5 day service. I sent the coins on Fri, 1/23, and had them back on Monday, 2/2.
  • Options
    David Hall (Blessed Be His Name) states that the coins are done in a first in , first out fashion.

But He is either a bald faced liar, or is misinformed about what is really going on in the grading process.

I sent 42 coins for grading last month. Got about half of the grades by email on Jan 30th. The others are trickling in piecemeal during this very week. As there was nothing unusual or problematic with the entire 42 coin submission, it follows that his first in-first out claim is simply a fallacy. If it were true, all 42 coins would have been graded the same day.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    David Hall (Blessed Be His Name) states that the coins are done in a first in , first out fashion.

But He is either a bald faced liar, or is misinformed about what is really going on in the grading process.

I sent 42 coins for grading last month. Got about half of the grades by email on Jan 30th. The others are trickling in piecemeal during this very week. As there was nothing unusual or problematic with the entire 42 coin submission, it follows that his first in-first out claim is simply a fallacy. If it were true, all 42 coins would have been graded the same day.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    I'm sure that they are doing the best that they can. What more can a person ask for?
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    I submitted a Q&A two weeks ago asking that a list of grading "holidays" be posted. I don't know about your guys but my workplace lists every day of the year that we recognize a company day off. That way we will know exactly what days are excluded. I was expecting to see somthing like:

(dates of shows ficticious)
    Jan 1 New Years Day
    Jan 9-13 Travel and Coin show

July 4 Independence Day

Sep 14-20 Travel and Coin show

I'm sure there are many more days and holidays. They can adjust the schedule as needed so long as it is posted in advance and we can see the days declared off. They declined to post my Q&A.

I can think of a dozen reasons not to have high capacity magazines, but it's the reasons I haven't thought about that I need them.
  • Options
    Pure speculation on my part, but I believe turnaround has to do with the type of coins being submitted and the total variety in the submission. I try to confine a submission to a single series. Mixing commonly counterfeited dates is another slowdown because extra care must be taken. I believe they have more modern graders than anything else, so mixing classic and modern means your order sits until a classic grader and finalizers are free.

I wish order or length of submission was my most hated problem. I've sent back many of my past submissions because varieties and designations are frequently ignored. They should add a step to double check the finalizers. Years with varieties indicated they were microscoped on the labels, copper always has a color designation on the labels, series elligible for full strike designation show they were checked on the labels and proof labels show they were checked for cameo.

perfectstrike
  • Options
    He he he!!!!...Still..........no coins, no answer!!!!!
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    maybe they have so many coins, some submissions have been missing for 2-3 weeks and they do not even know from whereimage
  • Options
    I usually find late night calls to HRH's private line using a voice changer box gets my submissions done faster

• Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    Threads like this remind me of a story about a man that went to the same restaurant for dinner everyday..........and everyday he would complain about the slow service, the dirty silverware, the rude waitresses, and the food that was not cooked the way he ordered it..........yet he still went to the same restaurant everyday.

dragon
  • Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414
    unfortunately, some people think it's the only restaurant in town
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    misterRmisterR Posts: 2,305 ✭✭
    Is anybody listening????????????????
  • Options
    Coin collectors seem to be a very patient group of people.
    PCGS is hoping that that patience doesn't run out.
  • Options
    misterRmisterR Posts: 2,305 ✭✭
  • Options
    Tony Harmer
    Web: www.tonyharmer.org
  • Options
    bumanchubumanchu Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭
    I sent three modern submissions to PCGS in the same box. Two were for grading and one was a crossover submission.

All were received by PCGS on 12-19-03.

The crossover grades were emailed to me on 1-27-04.

One of the grading submissions' grades was emailed on 1-29-04.

The third submission has not been graded as of 2-5-03.

First in first out? Impossible. I have even had multiple submissions in the same package be recorded as being received over a span of three days. Again, impossible. That is, if there is order in the system.
    I perceive a certain level of chaos. I have also gone across the street on occaision, however, I realize that my coins in PCGS holders are more valuable and I am therefore accepting the bad with the good.
    I certainly hope the situation gets better in the future.

Maybe they need to hire an efficiency expert to help them out of the quagmire they currently find themselves in.
    And I ain't lying this time.
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    Economy submission received 11/21. These are my son's coins. And I had told the kids maybe by Christmas...

BLAH! Now I'm hoping for March. Never again. I'm finished with 'economy'.

• Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    First in first out can't be done. You have 8 graders total, some more adept at moderns then others. Do you want someone grading your moderns that isn't at the top of the heap? The vast majority of submissions are moderns. For those who think that NGC grades one grade looser send you moderns there. The one grade bump will compare favorably pricewise.

The best solution to speed up turn times is to quit submitting for awhile or send them off somewhere else. If not, quit complaining here, enough already. All the posts in the world are going to speed it up. Reminds me of the guy who was blaring on the horn at me when my car stalled and then flooded. Finally I got out of the car and went back and asked if he thought blaring on the horn would start my car and if so keep doing in not then shove the damn horn.

I don't mean this post as a personal message to anyone individual just flat out tired of all the complaining.
  • Options
    First in first out can't be done.....Please explain this!!
    .If not, quit complaining here, enough already. ...This is the good ole US of A, I believe. I think I've earned the right to complain.
    .I don't mean this post as a personal message to anyone individual just flat out tired of all the complaining. ...Then don't read and most importantly, don't respond......Ken....PS, nothing personal...image
  • Options
    Why I would be happy to explain. Not all graders grade moderns so they wait till someone who does can get to them, meanwhile other coins that aren't moderns come in after and get graded quicker. They pull graders over to moderns when they get freed up.
  • Options
    Why I would be happy to explain. Not all graders grade moderns so they wait till someone who does can get to them, meanwhile other coins that aren't moderns come in after and get graded quicker. They pull graders over to moderns when they get freed up. ....No disrespect Sir, but if you had read all of this thread, you would know that my complaint is......A modern submission recieved on 12/18 was graded and shipped 10 days ago and my modern submission dated 12/12 is still waiting to be done!...It has nothing to do with how many graders they have or who can grade moderns. Mr. Hall said that all different levels of submissions are each done on a first in/first out basis. Bull...........
  • Options
    Ken my last post to this thread. I understood your complaint, one example does not a policy make, there could have been something wrong with your paperwork, a clerk screwed etc. etc. I suggested a month ago that we make on thread and title complaining about PCGS's turn time so you could all continue to post to it rather than keep cluttering up the board with information we are all well aware of.

What other business do you keep going back to that treats you this way or that you are this unhappy with? If you all really want to get their attention quit submitting to them. If business slows down enough their board will get involved and bring someone in to solve the problem. You think any of them read these boards? I guarantee they read the monthly p&l.
  • Options
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    What's the great mystery here, folks? First in, first out is the American way of doing business. In the supermarket line, are those behind you checked out before you are? While waiting at the barber shop, do they trim up somebody who came in after you? Homerun has admitted that boxes are placed in the vault, in no particular order, and are grabbed at random, with some getting shuffled to the back and slow to be reached. That is why you can have economy orders placed five to six to eight weeks after yours being graded first. A simple little computer program that assigns sequential numbers to submissions as they arrive and spits out a bar code to be attached to each order would keep them in proper order. It ain't rocket science. You engender bad will, and a potential loss of submissions, when grade 'em out of order and people grow more frustrated as they watch grades posted on orders that arrived weeks or even months after theirs ... I cannot believe PCGS is allowing this problem to languish.
  • Options

<< <i>send your coins to NGC if you want them completed in a timely manner. For dealers the $24 ($30 non dealers) service takes 12 business days even when there are shows. $43 ($50 non dealers) dealer rate gets the coins graded in 24 hours!!!!!! $12.50 economy takes 3.5 weeks.

NGC grades even when there are shows.

the choice is yours. >>

SSSSSHHHHH! We wouldn`t want NGC to get bogged down and have their turnaround times get as good as PCGS`s!imageimageimageimage
    A dealer once asked me if I noticed any three-legged buffalos on the bourse,to which I replied,"...no,but I saw alot of two-legged jackasses..."
  • Options
    Remember, mine were recieved on 12/12/03. This one was recieved on 12/22.....They just don't get it!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file