Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just for your information

BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
After this L.B.Show, all future shows will only be thursday, Friday and Saterday.

Because so many dealers were leaving on Saterdays, there will be no Sunday

in the future shows. Undercover ,retired police officers made a number of arrests

of professional thieves stealing coins from as many at 20 of the dealers. All the merchandise

appears to have been recovered. The old spy in the sky survellience and hidden

manned catwalks did the trick.

Stickey fingers lead to stickey jail terms.
There once was a place called
Camelotimage

Comments

• Options
    Thats good to know, Thanks....Ken
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now the dealers can leave on Friday rather than Saturday. I know they work hard and deserve it.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    At the rate they are cutting back the days for a coin convention, pretty soon

the dealers wont have to come at all.image

Seriously, I think its probably a good idea. Dealers have to fly home

and open the store or office Monday morning. With the weather and airline schedule limitations,

something needed to be done. This seems to be the only real solution.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad to hear that at least one of the major promoters has done away with the Sunday farce. I've got no problem with staying the extra day if there is business. I'd even be happy just make some good buys and did not sell anything. That actually happened for me at the end of the FUN show.

Still Sundays are usually just frastrating days that end up costing dealer time and money.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    was there some kind of announcement about the no Sunday thing?
  • Options
    I only made it out to FUN on Sunday, and it was deserted, so many aisles were just devoid of dealers, you'd see one or two guys sitting alone in half an aisle way, for me, it ended up being like a small local show... though I did still find a nice buy, I only found 3 tables to stop at and really stay for a while, Rick Kay's, Bill Jones, and JJ Teaparty (Whom I bought from)

Edited for stupidity...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    I think that's an excellent idea to cut back to 3 days only, my first two times to the Long Beach show were on Saturday afternoons and I was quite disappointed by all the empty tables on the floor. I remember thinking how sad it would have been to come on Sunday expecting to see a "huge" show.This also gives the dealers a full "travel day" to get back to their respective homes and businesses.
    Joe
    P.S. Kudos to LB security for nabbing the would be thieves!
  • Options

<< <i>Now the dealers can leave on Friday rather than Saturday. >>

And they will.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the Ohio Coin Expo's that are held regularly in the Cleveland area attempted this same change of schedule for the same reasons to no avail. dealers either didn't show up on Saturday or started leaving around noon with the complaint changing to losing a day during the week since most also have another occupation. beginning this March the show is back to the old Fri-Sun schedule. there is really only one alternative for a collector------show up the first day or two.

al h.image
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's nice to see security is good at that show. Hopefully other venues will do the same.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    And then they'll cut Saturday in a few years. Doesn't matter as the dealers only sell to each other, right?

I wonder, when the market has a downturn if any of the dealers will want Sunday back?
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

JrMan2004,

Looks like the best three dealers stayed till the closing bell.

Glad you gave the girls from Boston some business, they are great to work with.

I have wanted to meet Rick Kay for awhile now, and look at his pattern coins; and although I have had no contact with Bill Jones, I have heard alot of good things about him.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Now the dealers can leave on Friday rather than Saturday. >>

And they will. >>

Absolutely correct. This is about money and the cost of convention attendance is high. Since most of their business is dealer to dealer many of them will effectively be done by Friday. I've said for many years that coin shows tend to be too long. It's about time the show promoters started getting realistic about the length of the shows.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

<< <i>I've said for many years that coin shows tend to be too long. It's about time the show promoters started getting realistic about the length of the shows. >>

What do you suggest would be realistic show hours?
  • Options
    Well that settles it! No major show should have ANA backing and make them dealer only exhibits. We can all stay home and buy from auctions on the internet.
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file