Home U.S. Coin Forum

St. Gaudins or Indian $10 Gold

Good Eve coin gods. Boards are alittle quiet. What would you purchase St. Gaudins MS 63 or Indian $10 gold MS63. Not a series key but just really nice gold.image

Comments

• michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    indian eagle ms63

even though i think the ms63 saint will rise more percentage wise within the next year to two years

michael
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO, the eye appeal of the typical SG $20 in MS-63 is better than that of the Indian $10 in the same grade. Plus, you get twice as much gold.

Robert
  • EASY, Indian $10!!
  • Never liked theopen mouthed, awe struck look on the $10 Indian. I'll take the Saint.

Mojo
    "I am the wilderness that is lost in man."
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

my blog:www.numistories.com
  • In that grade, I would take the Double Eagle, for RYK's reasoning.

I love the $10 Indian, but I'm so damned picky that I sold the one I had (MS63) a few years ago, and am holding out for a really great one. Frankly, I probably wouldn't buy either one in MS63. Like I said, I'm pickyimage

PS: They're actually both "St. Gaudens," as he designed both.
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saint!

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • hookedoncoinshookedoncoins Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭
    Since I already have a Saint in MS63, I'll go with the Indian. At first I didn't like the design for the $10 indian, but the more I see it the more I like it (although I still like the saint design better).

• Someone started this thread in 2004.

I would like to ask the same question - $20 Saint or $10 Indian (common dates) - which is a better investment?
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The $10 Indian in MS63 has undergone several strong promotions in the past several years. There's no reason to believe that at some point with gold on the run again that it will happen again. The only concern I have is that of the last 3 promotions, each one has been weaker than the earlier one. It will probably take a run to $1350+/oz gold to move the $10 Indians up considerably. The $20 saints have fared better the last 1-1/2 years.

If I had to choose between the two right now, I'd take the MS63 $10 Indian as a more speculative play. They did see a 50% move from Jan to Dec 2009 ($1025 to $1550+) but have since fallen way back. Currently the $10's are underpriced vs the $20's but that's not surprise since over the past 2 yrs deflation has sort of presided over the economy putting bullion gold in the driver's seat vs. numismatic coins. But that will shift back at some point.

At the time this thread was first created the $10 Indian eventually became the better buy as it went up 4X in price from around $675 to $2500+. That was a combination of the numismatic market in full bull mode along with a fast rising gold price. I believe they peaked in price in May 2006 along with most other higher grade generic gold. Only the $20's have continued higher the past couple of years. The $10's have not come close to those levels since. But it doesn't mean it can't/won't happen. There are FAR fewer MS $10 Indians around vs. Saints. Both are needed for gold type sets.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Or?
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    "Pièce d'or"
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    St. Gaudens
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file