Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this Indian cent dipped?

I don't know what original copper should look like. It has nice lustre but I have a feeling it's too bright to be
original. So do you think this was dipped? Thanks

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, it is essentially impossible to be certain if a coin has been dipped by looking at an online photo. The coin in the photo looks OK to me but I can't be sure that the photo is accurate.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking the same thing, but was afraid to post. In the photo, it looks okay!

Red copper indians are my tough for me!

Where's Stewart, Lakes or Pushkin, these guys could probably give you the best opinion!

• Options
    Thanks you guys. I know you can't tell for certain but wanted to get some opinions.image

Jbsteven, thanks for posting the scan.
  • Options

Its almost impossible to tell from an image, but that coin looks pretty nice to me. Whether PCGS will like the color or not, is a totally different story. Lakes has a number of very high grade NGC IHC's that PCGS wouldn't cross at any grade. It can be a crapshoot.

If the color flys, the obverse should go 65. There are many nice 1899s out there and after 1909 it is the easiest coin to make in 66.

Many of the recoloreds look too pink and lifeless, with the luster gone. I actually have a couple ACGs I keep as recolored examples. Your coin doesn't look too bright to me and I own more than a couple dozen in PCGS 65RD. Acceptable red copper can come in many different shades.

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Frankly, the coin looks original. However, the colors shown in images often look different than those on the actual coin so like everyone else says, it's hard to tell.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to be late - went golfing and got soaked!

Agree with what's been said re: hard to tell from a photo. Usually a original coin will show some reasonably discrete cartwheel effect and yours looks pretty diffuse. Makes me a bit suspicious. Depends on the lighting, of course.

Pictured below is a coin that I and a nationally recognized expert think is a original red coin. It's a scarce variety with a shallow N reverse. Haven't been able to get it certified. Sometimes the liability of guaranteeing the color will scare the services and you can't get the coin certified. The same could happen to your coin, even if original.

If you send it in to PCGS/NGC, let us know the results. It might take more than one trip to get it certified so be persistent.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Lakesammman, thanks for posting the picture. The coin is in a NGC MS64 holder I just wasn't sure how picky they
    are with copper. The coin has a nice cartwheel and when in good light has a color similar to the coin you posted.
    I'd say there's a good chace it's original. Thanks for the help everyone.image
  • Options
    They are very picky! Anyway, enjoy the coin. Looks like a nice one.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

Here's a dealer's picture of the obverse one of my PCGS 65s. It looks a little flatter [less cartwheel effect] than Lakes image, probably because Lakes is a more skilled photographer at utilizing proper lighting. I guess what I am saying is the picture can be deceiving.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    great looking Indian Python. I do not claim to be an expert in this series, but from the picture and you you have said about the coin, it sounds fine.

Lakesammman;

That is truly a great looking 1871... wow.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    PushkinPushkin Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭

Python,

From the picture the coin looks very nice, excellent eye appeal. Maybe a MS-65 RB?

I have to echo what the others have said - you usually can't determine the nature of the toning/color of copper from pictures. image
  • Options
    coinkat:

Ebay purchase, NCI holder at the time. The coin looked so original from the ebay pic that several of us bid on it. image
  • Options
    I sent in 3 nice bright IHC's to PCGS - they had to be 65 or better.

They all came back in bags - altered color.image
  • Options

Lakes,

Are you willing to divulge the NCI grade that was on the 71? From what I understand Halperin was pretty liberal with the grades.

It sure looks pretty nice on my moniter.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file