Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A user is researching my backround!

I've received this e-mail today:

A user has just begun to research your background via our website.

If another user starts researching you at our website in the future our website will again inform you via email.

If you do not want to be notified by our system in the future simply add your email address to our Do Not Email List via:
http://s.wominfo.net/pass.php?a=donotemail&....

Learn about the research being done via:
http://s.wominfo.org/pass.php?a=search&b=5.....

Regards,

Notification Department

Third time this month! Is this for real?

Has anybody else received such an e-mail?

imageimage
Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3

Comments

• Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    I have always found you absolutely fascinating. I dare say I have a bit of a crush, even.

I can't see why everyone doesn't do more research on you!
  • Options
    Watch those links! It could be a invitation to a virus... image

I would write them directly if possible if you want them to stop. Personally I don't give anyone the right to research my background and the wording makes me wonder whether it's a trap designed to load a program on your machine.

Hey I'm a little paranoid right now. Someone has an infected machine that is sending out infected emails with my email as the sender. I've used three different anti-virus systems to make sure it isn't coming from me! I found out because mail systems around the world are bouncing emails back to *me* (the "sender"). Sigh... image
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Pipedream......

DAMMIT MAN!!!!!!

What are you doing to our poor Dimitri!?!?

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    XpipedreamR I'll get back to you on this !

I don't really mind if it's a trap to load a program with pop ups etc. I run Ad - aware three times a week and everything is removed or quarantined , otherwise my DSL connection becomes slower than a dial-up. What I'm worried about,is that there's a site where people have access to private information. Where did they get it in the first place? image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a trap to me too. There are myriad ways to get into your system. One of the downsides of being connected.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Spoof email....just delete.

You're apt to get a whole lot of spam if you take any of their suggested actions.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    They're probably just probing to get confirmation yours is an active address. If it is, they can sell it to spammers for more than just a list of "maybes". image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    I agree with Askari, ignore it. It is some kind of scam.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    "What I'm worried about,is that there's a site where people have access to private information"

If it involves your previous life as a woman then worry... after all, the site is called wominfo image
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    You are not that interesting Dimitri, it must be a scam!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    I told you I wanted to know why you wanted my mailing address... image
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Well, some interesting stuff. I did a little research and found that the site referenced is basically an ad link to this site: https://word-of-mouth-connection.com/index2.php?nav=home

Their claim is:

"WordofMouthConnection.com is a background research tool that allows users to access the valuable information source known as "word-of-mouth" on an international scale.

The mission of the Web site is to promote goodness in people by efficiently extending the concept of "word-of-mouth" to the Internet, allowing the people of our world to share their experiences with others in a secure, anonymous fashion."

Their site doesn't look especially well designed from a programmer's perspective.
  • Options
    I think maybe they are just trolling for new members through cleverly disguise spam.
  • Options
    Sounds like maskirovka to me. image If they're researching that, then how come no one ever gets an email asking for information on the person being investigated?
    Askari

• Options

<< <i>I think maybe they are just trolling for new members through cleverly disguise spam. >>

Or, not so cleverly disguised spam.image
    Roy

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beware. Sounds like another attempt to get you to supply information. I would quickly delete it.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    Don't worry, Dimitri, it's just the friendly folks at Homeland Security checking you out. imageimageimage
  • Options
    Askari, sounds to me like a lainaria

4 765 of 50 971 (9.35%) complete image

First DAMMIT BOY! 25/9/05 (Finally!)

" XpipedreamR is cool because you can get a bottle of 500 for like a dollar. " - Aspirin

• Options
    I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that word, Philip -- what does "lainaria" mean?
    Askari