Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Who is for a return to allegorical figures on US coinage?? POLL

Well, speak up. Does anyone think it could ever happen (I myself find it unlikely, but would love it)

Comments

• Options
    agreed

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The minute they put Lincoln on the cent in 1909, congress made a mistake!

This country was suppose to be different in which it was a place of Liberty & Freedom and putting any one person on a coin does not show Liberty, it shows a dead person.

Later,
    Paul B. Gunsallus

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Shut Out so far. Could this be the first Perfect Poll ?
  • Options
    PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't put it past me.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Im sick of dead presidents, lets have

some lovely ladies again.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    AMEN !!! Presidents, statesmen, explores,etc. are just copies from
    paintings or photograghs.
    Let's put imagination and creativity back into our currency.
  • Options
    ALL of the mentioned above will most likely be on our coins again,and many times over.I and most other people here, want to see classic designs on our coins and not dead presidents.

Cool,hundereth post,atleast for this account anyway.
    Formely known as kamehameha00
  • Options
    Liberty, Eagles in flight, Ships, Animals. Anything but dead presidents!!!!
    Constellatio Collector sevenoften@hotmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭
    It would be wonderful and would probably ignite another generation of collectors BUT it will happen about as fast as the phase out of the $1 bill.
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
    No perfect poll image
    Formely known as kamehameha00
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. That's one lop-sided poll.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    The vision of President Theodore Roosevelt about our coins, using allegorical representations of Liberty should be brought back to our circulating coinage.

Honoring "dead presidents" should be confined to comemmoraive coinage.

Look at the Mercury (Winged Head Liberty) Dime, Standing Liberty Quarter image
    Walking Liberty Half Dollar , St. Gaudens Double Eagle. Who can not agree that
    these were the most beautiful coins produced by this great country ?

Just my humble opinion.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Look at this poll!

The limited artistic appeal of presidential profiles is on issue, certainly. The larger one we may be tapping into here is that Liberty and its analogies fit much better the American ideal of equality and opportunity. The cult of the individual invites elitist notions that we proudly say we'd left behind in Europe, and that we fought the Revolution over. Back to a glorification of democratic ideals!
  • Options
    Bring back lady Liberty, that's my call. To bad the Mint isn't going to listen to us.
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Im sick of dead presidents, lets have

some lovely ladies again. >>

I could not have said it better Bear. image
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    I would like to see a coin with Eunice Shriver.......oh, sorry! image
    Wondo

• Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Count me in with the majority on this one ... I like the classics...

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    More Bust for me!

Mojo
    "I am the wilderness that is lost in man."
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

my blog:www.numistories.com
  • Options
    Funny, I actually thought I might have been alone on this one.
  • Options
    I will stick with Dead Presidents...the reverse of the coin should be very artistic.
  • Options
    lclugzalclugza Posts: 568 ✭✭
    Bring back Liberty! No more dead people (unless it's Marilyn Monroe!)
    image"Darkside" gold
  • Options
    Our modern coinage is so dull, it is way past time to get it back to the way it used to be.
    1969s WCLR-001 counterclash
  • Options
    You Americans used to have such cool coins like the SLQ the Walker and the Buffalo. Now... now... your country is the richest, most powerful nation on earth yet your coins are conspicuously ugly. Please rectify this.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, coin designs are decided on by politicians, not coin collectors.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

<< <i>Let's put imagination and creativity back into our currency. >>

Hmmm, I thought that's what the State Quarters were for... image

Anyways, I'll have to ditto pretty much everyone else, put Ms. Liberty and the Bald Eagle, back on US Coinage
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    interesting you mention that jrgman, i think the statequarters are the best idea in a long time.......but im the kind of guy that if you give me an inch, i want a mile...........the quarters were the inch, now i want the mile
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,511 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I reluctantly voted for real people from the past.

I’m concerned that ANYTHING that the gets approved for modern coinage designs, aside from the state quarter reverses, which last for 10 weeks of production will have to be politically correct. Just look at the last two design changes. Susan B. Anthony, which made for a very ugly coin, and Sacagawea, Native American (Note that I avoided the dreaded “I” word) whose role in history was interesting, but quite minor.

Frankly I don’t have much hope that any person who appears on our regular issue coinage for an extended period of time with be really worthy. It will be product of another pressure group.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    I would like to see more of our wildlife on coins. There are so many wonders in this land of ours. Lady Liberty is a wonderful sight I agree. (Thats how a voted) But what about say, A ram on a mountain side, A mountain lion ready to strike, Liberty hold a eagle like a falconer.

They could really have some fun with this...........

Oh well, a man can dream can't he..............
    Dave
    In Laurel
    MD

Just a fist full of Dollars

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file