Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Modern Cards - What value do they really hold?

2»

Comments

• Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    When I think about the mentality involved in collecting modern cards, I am reminded of the PSA 10 SI for Kids Tiger Woods card that was sold a few years ago for $125000. Specifically, I remember the seller of the card regreting that he has sold this card.

“ If I knew that Tiger was going to win it (Sunday), I wouldn't have sold that card. I didn't think he could win like that again. ... I just wish I had the card back because who's to say what it would go for now? ”

<< <i>— Mike Souza, who sold a gem-mint Sports Illustrated for Kids Tiger Woods rookie card for a record $125,000 in March 2001 >>

ESPN article about $125000 Tiger Woods card

• Options
    This thread is a little like initiating or precipitating a card version of the Hatfields & McCoys.

By the time you separate fact from fiction from useless statistics and comparisons you will be more confused than ever. This question is like the Gordian Knot, an exercise in rhetoric that can't truly be won by either the vintage or modern side.

Why ?

Its like the pundits picking the winner in tomorrow's Super Bowl, you can always make many claims and assertions by pulling examples and arguments out of context in one battle after another...you might as well title this thread, "blondes or brunettes...which is better ?"

See my point.

In the end, it is all a matter of taste and comfort level and personal interests; having been involved in both markets and being a gambler/speculator I am a rookie "modern collector".

Hey Joe...saw a particular "green" card of yours...not a true rookie, but nice nonetheless.