Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Added pictures to my Washington-Carver registry sets

Washington-Carver Set #1 Link

Washington-Carver Set #2 (the no grade for the 54-P...trying to get it upgraded to a 66) Link

Enjoy
Don

Comments

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

I love the 53-D & 54-D coins you have... I'm still missing those two coins for my set in PCGS 65 in Blast White. When and where did you find them ? I've been looking for years for coins of this caliber !!!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike,

I bought a 54PDS in MS65 at a Baltimore Convention back in 2002 for $400, all balst white. The 53-D in 65.....well at a local coin show, I met a dealer who said he couldn't get rid of some WC's and BTW's he had, so I took a look. He sold me two 53-P, two 53-D all in 65, and a 48-P BTW in 66 for $900. That was a couple years ago. As for the 53-D in 66....traded a group of Arkansas's for that one.

The 54-D's are very difficult to find blast white brilliant and PQ for the date.
    Don

• Options
    Don--

What a pleasure. Thanks for that.

I particularly like the 54P in your first set and the 51P in the second.

As you know, I love these coins and I congratulate you on both of your sets.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    You mean there's actually somebody else who collects those things? image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Russ--

What else were we supposed to collect since the entire world is falling over themselves to buy 2 cent pieces.

Ummm.... interesting coins... yeah, right on. image

Clankeye
  • Options
    Clankeye,

What do you think of this coin for my new icon????

Don

• Options
    I love it, Don. That would be... awesome.

And then I wouldn't feel so bad about having appropriated your old one.

What a coin!

Clankeye
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Having a local dealer with inventory like that is like ... "unreal". We have two coins shops in my town, one who sells to tourists and the other who's a true numismatist, and sells collector grade coins and occasionally has better holdered material.

I still rely on national dealers and auction houses for my coins.

I check ebay almost daily for Washington Carvers in PCGS 65 in Blast white ( light rim toning is VERY acceptable).........Also that goes for Arkansas commems. Hard coins to find fresh looking in a moderately
    high grade of MS 65. Higher grades than MS 65 are prohibitively expensive.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don: Hold on there - that looks vaguely familar image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

<< <i>I check ebay almost daily for Washington Carvers in PCGS 65 in Blast white >>

This is one of those series that PCGS coins absolutely bring more competition (ie highter prices) than NGC coins. Unless those coins are absolute color monsters--the PCGS coins usually bring a much higher premium.

I know of place that has many NGC PDS sets for sale in various grades. Mostly described as average for the grade with light champagne toning. They don't seem to move very quickly.

My usual disclaimer--this is not a diss on NGC, merely an observation from my experience. And I have purchased quite a few NGC graded Carvers in my day.

Clankeye
  • Options
    Mitch,

You should recognize the coin.......it's one of the 67's you have listed in your museum of coins on your website. It's the Heller 52-P in 67. You don't by any chance have the original photo of that coin do you? I'd get better resolution for the icon if I could work from the original. By the way, that picture isn't copyrighted, is it???
    Don

• Options
    "By the way, that picture isn't copyrighted, is it???"

Don: I'll have to ask Justin - all he has left is the scan. image When Steve was seriously collecting WC's a couple years ago, I discovered Justin owned an old holdered NGC-MS67 1952(p) WC for his type Commem color coin that was a wild color coin. I told Justin (maybe 9 or 10 years old at the time) that if I sell the coin, odds are by the time he is ready to go to college that coin (with compounding) would pay for a full year or even two of college. I encouraged him to "let it go". He agreed provided he could also buy a couple video games as well. DONE DEAL. image

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Mitch, if Justin doesn't want me to use that scan, I can fall back on the 53-S in 67 that Steve had in his collection.
    Don

• Options
    Don: I'm just having fun with you. Justin would be honored for you to use his old coin image

Wondercoin
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    that would be a beautiful icon

you have to make it a little smaller

100x100 and 10000 kB max I think
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I check ebay almost daily for Washington Carvers in PCGS 65 in Blast white >>

This is one of those series that PCGS coins absolutely bring more competition (ie highter prices) than NGC coins. Unless those coins are absolute color monsters--the PCGS coins usually bring a much higher premium.

I know of place that has many NGC PDS sets for sale in various grades. Mostly described as average for the grade with light champagne toning. They don't seem to move very quickly.

My usual disclaimer--this is not a diss on NGC, merely an observation from my experience. And I have purchased quite a few NGC graded Carvers in my day.

Clankeye >>

I know the "CheapSlabStore" used to have a ton of these for sale, some also in ANACS holders. It's been awhile since I've checked their website but they didn't appear to be fast movers then, at the time.

peacockcoins

• Options

<< <i>I know the "CheapSlabStore" used to have a ton of these for sale, some also in ANACS holders. It's been awhile since I've checked their website but they didn't appear to be fast movers then, at the time. >>

That's the place, Braddick.

I ordered a 53PDS set from them, NGC65 that they described as having nice toning--and I will say this--they were correct. The 53P and 53D were outstanding. Nice Golden toning, and good luster underneath.

I've seen some of their other Carvers too, and have come to trust--for the most part--their descriptions.

As it was explained to me by one of the fellows who runs the place, their father salted away Carvers for years. At one point they just decided to send them all into NGC. It makes sense to me, considering the stash they have of them.

Clankeye
  • Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743

<< <i>I know the "CheapSlabStore" . >>

Hey! I've bought from that guy before he started that business. He told me about doing it a while back, but I lost track. I guess he went through with it.

Whoever has dealt with him pm me your impressions? Also his web addy if applicable, I couldnt find it.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.