Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

WHY DO SLU'S SELL FOR "CRAP" ON EBAY??

Remember the days when Starting lineups were hot? They sell for pennies on the dollar now. Why?

Comments

• Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    They no longer make them, so many just gave up collecting them. Plus they cleared out the warehouses a few years ago and flooded the market, even dollar stores had them...and last bit not least ... they pale in comparison to the McFarlane's ...jay
  • Options
    Because comparing them to the McFarlane line is like night and day.
    They look cheesy and they have lost a lot of their appeal.
    Granted there are some tough pieces that are still very pricey but for the most part you can't give them away.
  • Options
    Yeah...I agree, McFarlane pieces are very detailed. But, if it wasn't for Starting Lineup, McFarlane wouldn't be here. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Sometimes SLUs are so cheap that I buy them simply to get the card graded by PSA.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Starting Lineup prices on ebay are also influenced by the fact that shipping is normally expensive on them. A piece that will bring you $8 at a show will likely not bring you more than $3 or $4 online because of shipping eating up the rest of the $8. A piece that goes for $2 or $3 at a show is almost impossible to sell online for more than a buck - and usually that's to someone who is buying several.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    if anyone has any cheap SLU's, let me know. i love taking em out and displaying em
  • Options
    Graded SLU's still pull decent money. They are graded by AFA.
    CB4
  • Options
    I have sold a bunch of SLU on ebay even the crappy ones for big bucks! Everything now a days are collectables, and most people are collecting just to have their collections standout from all the rest, everyone wants MINT or Near Mint. If you have a ton of worthless but still carded toys like Starting line ups, Star wars Episode 1 & 2 toys, and cheesy oddball toys nobodys even heard of, send them to get graded and you'll be surprised what they fetch on ebay. the companys called AFA, and heres a link check it out.

Toygraders

Graded them cheap and sell'em for big bucks!

Jery
    Jery's T206 set: Looking for PSA 6's & 7's!
  • Options
    Toygraders

Heres the correct link.

Jery
  • Options
    Hey, Roastedcat, do you know if AFA just grades the figures in their original packages? Or do they also grade opened figures? I'm thinking about opening all of mine...simply to create more storage space.
  • Options
    They only grade carded figures....They don't grade opened figures!
  • Options
    I'm suprised at how far SLU prices have fallen. I remember 5-10 years ago when prices were in the stratosphere. Haven't some prices fallen by 90%?

I also think a contributing factor to this decline is the glut of modern cards. If you're a Cal Ripken or Jordan collector, your money use to go alot further.
  • Options
    Jery- cool link, i've heard of the comic book grading but not action figures. Its too bad i decided to open all my Star Wars figures when i was a kid.
    Even all the AFA ebay auctions are interesting. It cracks me up to think that price tag sticker residue is equivalent to a stain on a card. No qualifier, but lowers the grade. Thats great!

Ben