Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Should There Be A Non FBL Franklin Registry?

2»

Comments

• Options
    dpoole:

I beg to differ; prices have actually declined since the Registry took off. Pop reports (and Tomaska) accelerated the market by enlightening collectors as to the true rarity of FBL Franklins. Comparatively speaking, there is no "deader" a series right now, let alone an undervalued one!
  • Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743

<< <i>dpoole:

I beg to differ; prices have actually declined since the Registry took off. Pop reports (and Tomaska) accelerated the market by enlightening collectors as to the true rarity of FBL Franklins. Comparatively speaking, there is no "deader" a series right now, let alone an undervalued one! >>

Amen. And overgraded crap is one of the big culprits. Also too loose with the FBL designation.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    Madmonk:

I I catch your drift, I would not have a '58 type 2 non-fbl 65 ranked higher then, say a 58 type 1 in fbl 65. Just like the '53-S; mega-common in 65, but impossible in any FBL grade.
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I wish my fellow Franklinites would jump on my bandwagon, not waste time on the non-fbl issue, >>

go fly a kite!

heh heh.........

I think its good, I had a top ranking FBL set with a 53s ms65fbl, I could become a sophisticated elitest about it, but I'm not that way.

Dpoole makes a good point, non-fbl prices would probably rise some... which, wouldn't be bad foe me, heh heh.....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Lucybop:

"Music hasn't been the same since Buddy Holly died!" (name the movie)

It's too windy here in Philly today, but I hear ya, and I will do so
    tomorrow!

• Options
    heh heh...

flykite, which is your regsitry set.....?
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    why, flykite collection, of course!

If I had a '53-S FBL, I would stand on a pile of Eddie Cochran records
    and tell the world!
  • Options
    Looks like a very nice set, what is up with the no grades???
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • Options
    the 63p in GEM FBL was one that has always eluded me, I never did have this in my set, and I sent in a few to PCGs and didn't make the cut..

the pop on this coin sez 122, I believe there are fewer then that......

This is a scarce coin...
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • Options
    wow!!

I sent these in last year, in their original 65FBL (green) holders, hoping they would upgrade to 66; I bet their computer eliminated the original slabs, BUT did not update the new numbers! BTW, none upgraded!
    I haven't looked there in a while. Thank you for the heads-up; I will call them....Ed(flykite)
  • Options
    No!!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>No!!!!!! >>

• Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭✭
    For me, the whole idea of fbl, fh, fb, full this and full that was tossed in the can when the Roosie market was changed so drastically with the decision to go fb. I thought it was a good idea, but I may have been wrong.
  • Options
    I would vote "no". I think they should re-look at the point designation system as some coins are rated too high (1960D) while others are rated lower that I would expect based on my difficulty in finding and buying them (1963p and 1962p). The point system could use some half point designations. It is wrong when a 64fbl ties a 66 non-fbl.
  • Options
    I don't care what the pops say, that 63p is a very tough coin to find......

it should have some heavier weight.....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭
    don't care what the pops say, that 63p is a very tough coin to find......

I agree. This was one of the more difficult coins (significantly so, even more so than many of the 66FBLs, which in some cases were chosen from among several, and I mean the pop 20-50 66FBLs) for me to find for my set. It was the last coin I needed in FBL to have the set be at least 65FBL.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options

<< <i>I would vote "no". I think they should re-look at the point designation system as some coins are rated too high (1960D) while others are rated lower that I would expect based on my difficulty in finding and buying them (1963p and 1962p). The point system could use some half point designations. It is wrong when a 64fbl ties a 66 non-fbl. >>

That's a constructive idea!image
  • Options
    Brought Up Again In Yesterdays Q&A

-----------------------Link---------------------
    ANA Member R-213302
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this idea is slowly picking up attention, mass and speed inside PCGS. And the more folks there think about it, the more I think their inevitable conclusion will be that non-strike qualifier Registry categories will attract more participants and ultimately sell more coins.

It may not happen this year, but I do believe it's coming. image
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Is the Registry about selling more coins, or assembling the finest??
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I try to pretend I'm David Hall in the pre-Registry days, I think my objective is to sell more coins.

My personal objective as a collector, however, is to assemble a set that I like -- regardless of how it competes in the grand scheme of things. But if I do decide I want to compete, I'd enjoy the process a LOT more if I'm not forced to collect strike attribute over numeric grade.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Thanks for the link Jmoore!
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    I think we should definitely have non designated registry sets. Why can't we have both? It is a relatively simple computer set up issue, that is all. If PCGS is willing to eat the overhead associated with a few more POPULAR sets, then why should anyone complain about it?

We are not asking to take away the designated sets, just add a place where the designation doesnt get a bonus. No big deal. If you are a FB, FH, FBL fan, just ignore the other sets.

We make so much out of what is really a nothing issue other than will David Hall support it.

It is my opinion that it would revitalize the lower end of a number of areas, while not diminishing at all the top end.

I should also add in the spirit of full disclosure that I have a NB Mercury set that will never compete with the big guys, FB or not.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.