Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Should There Be A Non FBL Franklin Registry?

This poll was prompted by a Q&A where HRH was asked about whether or not there should be a Non FBL Franklin Registry Link

edited to add: Please explain why there should or should not be a separate Non FBL Franklin Registry.

Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.

Comments

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All series that have a strike qualifier which gives bonus points should have a division for people who prefer to collect grade over strike.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    sure why not????

Many stunning GEMs can be found in non-fbl, sadly, lots of these coins are ignored now due to the fbl bonus.
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Absolutely! Probably able to get coins much cheaper, at least for a while......Ken
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    don't some people enter sets anyway without qualifiers? They do in other series

Foodude's nonFBL set

It may not get in the top 5, but probably could get in the top 20
  • Options
    The PCGS Registry system automatically adds the qualifier (and bonus points) when you enter the certification number of the coin.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Well - you can always register your "NFBL" set... it just won't compete; however, it is still a nice way to show off your collection. My collection across the street is just that.

Bill

Bartdog's MS (w/o-FBLs) Collection

Bartdog
  • Options
    Hey Bartdog:

Nice Franklin set!!
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    I think that it's a great idea.

It would give those of us who don't have $10,000+++ to shell out for a single coin to have a shot @ a top 5 spot in the registery.

Jim
    ANA Member R-213302
  • Options
    I vote a big Yes. I could give my reasons but everyone before me has done it already. Now I am going to get into this Frankie thread cheap and make a Jefferson statement. If a MS65 full step Jefferson gets two bonus points....why doesn't PCGS just grade it MS67 and be done with it. Why? Because it is still a MINT STATE 65 COIN. Did I just say MINT STATE. There are certainly some designated coins that are 100% full what ever but.....On any Sunday in all the Gin Joints in all the World no two people will agree on the majority of full whatever designations. Hey.....beat me down but Full Step Designated Coins are a joke. I have non full step designated coins I could shave with the steps and FS designated coins that are flatter than...well...they are just flat.

SHOW ME YOUR GROSS SCORE !!!!!!!!

I don't care about all the padded bonus points you get.....there should be a GROSS SCORE listing somewhere....make it hard to find....that's OK.

But.....SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT.................don't hide MS64 full what evers behind two and five bonuuuuuuuuuus points

A PURE GROSS SCORE
    NICKEL TRIUMPH...
  • Options
    Here's another Jefferson FS example:

I have one of the five PCGS MS66 1964-P coins (non-FS). I paid stupid money for it -- $43.

At the Heritage FUN Signature auction earlier this month, one of the two PCGS MS66FS 1964-P coins sold for... take a deep breath now... $4,715.

The gross score average for my complete 1938-64 set is 66.14... no weighting and bonus points whatsoever.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    I agree. Ideally, I would like PCGS to get rid of all strike designations, but I'm sure they won't. As an alternative we should have registry sets with no bonus for the strike designation. In the set you are proposing, both FBL and non-FBL coins should be allowed, but without any bonus for FBL coins. A yes vote from me. I wrote DH a similar question a few months ago.

Greg
  • Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    I want it.
    imageimageimage
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    I second the motion!
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    As I'm sure you all know, strike designations are a huge money-maker for the grading companies. Regrading a coin is pure profit!
  • Options
    I third the motion!image
  • Options

<< <i>As I'm sure you all know, strike designations are a huge money-maker for the grading companies. Regrading a coin is pure profit! >>

Yea, but arent they suppose to do whats best for the hobby?imageimageimage

Plus, how many Frankies arent being sent in because the owner is discouraged over the FBL issue.
    I've got hand ful raw Frankies...I havent sent them in to grade because there is too much risk that I wont be able to sell due to lack of FBL. But, they sure are pretty!
  • Options
    Best for the hobby???? funny! to say the least...
    The grade inflation is ruining what is good about the hobby. Grade inflation is a brain child of those who NEED to get rid of undergraded stock, plain and simple.
    Going back to basics is entirely good. imho image
  • Options
    Registrycoin:

A designation review is only $10, or is it $5? Is it really a big money maker?

Greg
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted yes for one simple reason - why not!

There are Registry sets for Euros and other interesting collectibles. Why not non-FBL Franklins?

I bought that 1963(p) Franklin in PCGS-MS66 at FUN for $500 or so because I thought the coin was neat. A touch away (designation wise) from a $30,000 coin. I had no thought of making money on the coin when I bought this one - it is simply a neat coin. I have many coins just like it, such as a pretty 53(s) in MS66 (as Typetone has as well). They are great (non-FBL) coins, even if they are not "great" for Registry purposes. image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    It's as good as a parking lot, or maybe a car wash ???
  • Options
    I like the idea of letting all designated and non designated coins of that series in the set. BUT....one on one. NO bonuses....NO weights....A Pure MINT STATE Competition of a Set. A fun way to go or.....JUST SHOW THE GROSS SCORE

....Lets see what's under the hood....
    NICKEL TRIUMPH...
  • Options
  • Options
    A resounding NO to non-fbl!! While we are at it, let's go back to the old days XF, AU, BU, etc. and eliminate condition rarity also (the sound you hear is the collapsing market!) FH, FS, FB, etc. is about STRIKE quality, which is always held as a premium quality in the minds of collectors.

Condition rarity in modern (post-1970) coins is the biggest scam going! Are you going to tell me a 69 or 70 grade coin w/low pop. is such a quantum leap above a 66-68 grade, and deserving of such big $$???!! You have got to be kidding me!
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FH, FS, FB, etc. is about STRIKE quality, which is always held as a premium quality in the minds of collectors.

Always? That's a pretty absolute statement. Frankly, I don't give a rat's patootie whether a coin is 98% struck or 100% struck.

There goes always....
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    flykite do you go by the fbl standard at PCGS which is different and less demanding then NGC's? If so would that be a fully struck coin? Personally I could care less about designations, so I guess I am not a collector.
  • Options
    mnmcoinmnmcoin Posts: 2,165
    I think non designation registry sets are a great idea. I think it would bring in thousands of more people into the registry...those people who would like to do a registry set, be competative but not spend multi-thousands of dollars. I think there is also something to be said for letting high end coins speak for themselves. Coins like later mid date (1950-1970) Jefferson Nickels in MS66 come to mind, along with MS66 Franklins.

morris <><
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
  • Options
    Morris:

Exactly! And the more people who join the numismatic fraternity, the better it is for all of us.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭
    ... And the more people who join the numismatic fraternity, the better it is for all of us That's a great reason. image
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    yoo hoo!!! this is a great thread. ...talking about technical quality... cool image
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

That is a killer coin!image
  • Options
    Typetone:

Nice 53-S, BUT...a 65 in my book. (gash over the eye, and I deduct for thumbprint on reverse)

Tradedollarnut:

BUT, you give a rat's butt about chopmarks! (commendable, from a historical prospective); I'll take a pristine one myself!

Irish Mike:

...just not a sophisticated one! Look, if there was only one standard (I wish there was!) there would only be one grading service.

Does anyone remember when the concept of 3rd party grading was supposed to solve all this? Just like when computers were invented, and we were told we would have much less paperwork!!
  • Options
    Oh... I see..... only 'sophisticated' collectors care if a coin is fully struck in some arbitrary manner. Hmmmm.

Soooo...... it doesn't matter that most FH SLQ's are weak in the shield - or in some points of the head? Doesn't matter that many Mercs are weak elsewhere in strike even if they have the FB designation? Doesn't matter that many Franklins have a split or weak line on the bell that doesn't count when they get the FL designation at PCGS? All that matters is the coin got the designation and that makes you sophisticated because you care? Hmmmmm.

Further.... what's a chopmark got to do with strike designations?
  • Options

<< <i>Nice 53-S, BUT...a 65 in my book. (gash over the eye, and I deduct for thumbprint on reverse) >>

<< <i>BUT, you give a rat's butt about chopmarks! (commendable, from a historical prospective); I'll take a pristine one myself! >>

My Mom always told me that if you don't have something nice to say........................
    Especially when no one asked for your opinion..................
    And some Newbies wonder why they are treated the way that they are............
    ANA Member R-213302
  • Options
    Wow! Touchy group this am!!
    JMoore: The Colts weren't good enough (nor were my Eagles!) I DIDN'T say it was a BAD coin, just not a '66!
    Tradedollarnut: Just my point; ALL GRADING IS ARBITRARY; services or not, the IDEA is that the designations SHOULD reflect strike quality, and I stand by my statement. You are sophisticated enough to know the difference,
    and i'm sure you pass on holders saying one thing if the coins don't cut it. As for chops, just another niche, just like FBL. etc...

Gang:

I HATE condition rarity, just as I despise comparative date grading. Take this '53-S as an ex. If it were a 1948P,
    and struck this weakly, it wouldn't grade a 64, but being all '53-S Franklins ARE weak, then COMPARATIVELY, it is a good coin.
  • Options
    Flykite: the question at hand was should PCGS create a separate Registry set for those who wish to collect and compete with only the non FBL coins. I fail to see why you have a problem with the creation of such. Even the suggestion that only non sophisticated collectors are enamored by less than fully struck coins doesn't seem to be a reasonable argument against them having their own sandbox in which to play.

• Options
    having their own sandbox in which to play.

imageimage
    ANA Member R-213302
  • Options
    Ok, Ok....let the children play! I'll try logic...let's create a non-fbl
    set, encourage people NOT to pursue FBL coins for the sake being top dog
    in the Registry? I can see it now...that long, hard search for the elusive '48P non-FBL in MS (point being that just about all '48P are FBL) Do we deduct points for coins w/fbl??
  • Options
    encourage people NOT to pursue FBL coins for the sake being top dog

'Oh if I had $10,000, $20,000 or $30,000 to drop on a single coin I would pursue the top FBL coins.

The point is that many do not have the kind of money that it takes to get a top 5 or 10 spot in the Registry when single coins cost that much.

ANA Member R-213302
  • Options

<< <i>Ok, Ok....let the children play! I'll try logic...let's create a non-fbl
    set, encourage people NOT to pursue FBL coins for the sake being top dog
    in the Registry? I can see it now...that long, hard search for the elusive '48P non-FBL in MS (point being that just about all '48P are FBL) Do we deduct points for coins w/fbl?? >>

The point is to let more people participate. That simple. Not everybody can afford FBL coins.
    I for one am not going to buy a S mint FBL, and my son probably won't either. But he'd get a kick out of being in the top 150, and it might encourage him to complete a set. Have a goal.
  • Options
    'Oh by the way Daniel..

Very, Very nice '53-S image
    ANA Member R-213302
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Sometimes the difference between FBL and non FBL is very, very slight. Now, I look for luster and eye appeal on Frankies.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options

<< <i>Sometimes the difference between FBL and non FBL is very, very slight. Now, I look for luster and eye appeal on Frankies. >>

That is what a lot of most of the serious Franklin Collectors I've known over the years used to do.
  • Options
    Aghhh!!

Madmonk: I guess this broadens this thread, but, do we want to add more sets just for the sake of participation? There are 9k+ sets now. My prejudice stems from wanting the Registry to represent the finest. My Franklin set has no chance of ever getting any higher than it is now as I to don't have deep pockets. I don't want the Registry to be JUST about participation; that's for little league!
  • Options
    Flykite,
    While I understand, and am sensitive to your reasoning, I have to think about who is going to pick up after we are gone. The youngsters. We need to support, and encourage them in the hobby. Who has the best non-fbl set? That has legitimacy, because that is how the series can be collected.
    My set is mixed. so it will probably stay in the FBL registry. But hey, I can sell my 65fbl's, turn them into straight 66 pieces, and I have a killer set as well. Sales might increase, and the NON-FBL coins might start selling better. It's almost as if a non-fbl Franklin has lost legitimacy due to some designation that is determined by differant grading companies, under differant guidelines, which I really believe hurts the hobby.
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>...just not a sophisticated one! >>

Interesting remark here... Hmmm.....

I really enjoyed the FBL Bonus registry, but I also like this idea.... I don't see how this would hurt the FBL Registry which would still be the 'top finest sets'........

I seriously doubt PCGs would invest much time in persueing this, but you never know.

I love the designations, FBL, FB, FS.........

However, I have more sense then to say and think I'm more sophisticated. That angers me as much as it does when somebody
    comes around and sez I'm dumb for paying a premium for the designations......
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Lucybop,
    If anybody equates sophistication, or intelligence to FBL or NON-FBL, they are sadly mistaken. You point them out to me, and I'll kick them in the Frankies! imageHey if I had the deep pockets, I wouldnt mind having all FBL coins in the registry, but I have found so many non fbl pieces over the years that were so pretty, I had to have them. As you have previously stated, a lot of coins are overlooked because they don't have the designation. I find that very sad for numismatics.
  • Options
    Hepkitty:

In the context of my response, my point was that non-fbl is a backwards step, and that superior strike, and all the other factors (luster, etc.)
    is what we should be striving for! How many coin shows have you attended, and see pile upon pile of junk being offered, be it Frankies or Morgans or anything else. Let's cull out the trash and keep 'em out of the Registry. Look, some of the best looking Franklins you will ever see are 'S mints w/no detail whatsoever, but in the context of grading them, they don't cut it. Is this elitist? ABSOLUTELY!!! Grading is about passing judgement.

I wish my fellow Franklinites would jump on my bandwagon, not waste time on the non-fbl issue, and DEMAND PCGS recognize the 1958 and 1959P reverse die varieties. People pay 10K and up for the '53-S, when in fact the 1958P w/ the proof (type 2) reverse is the rarest one out there. In 35+ years of searching, I have never SEEN an FBL example in a 65 holder!!
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There seems to be some presumption that the non-FBL Franklin Registry would allow people of more modest means to assemble a quality set.

Actually, the FBL advantage in the Set stats makes that possible now. Why do you think FBL Franks got so expensive? Because of the Registry competition for them. If you start up a non-FBL Registry, watch those prices go up as well. Can you see a 50-D in 66 non-FBL going for $10K in a Heritage auction some day soon?

Actually, it's not a bad idea. I've got a few nice non-FBLs that I'd like to sell for $10K. image
  • Options

<< <i>Hepkitty:

In the context of my response, my point was that non-fbl is a backwards step, and that superior strike, and all the other factors (luster, etc.)
    is what we should be striving for! How many coin shows have you attended, and see pile upon pile of junk being offered, be it Frankies or Morgans or anything else. Let's cull out the trash and keep 'em out of the Registry. Look, some of the best looking Franklins you will ever see are 'S mints w/no detail whatsoever, but in the context of grading them, they don't cut it. Is this elitist? ABSOLUTELY!!! Grading is about passing judgement.

I wish my fellow Franklinites would jump on my bandwagon, not waste time on the non-fbl issue, and DEMAND PCGS recognize the 1958 and 1959P reverse die varieties. People pay 10K and up for the '53-S, when in fact the 1958P w/ the proof (type 2) reverse is the rarest one out there. In 35+ years of searching, I have never SEEN an FBL example in a 65 holder!! >>

58 and 59p reverse dies coins are cool. I have no problem with them adding those either. But, you'll never change my mind. I'm convinced it's better for the hobby as a whole. How a 40.00 coin can rank higher than a 200.00 coin is beyond my comprehension. There's another Flaw.
  • Options

<< <i>There seems to be some presumption that the non-FBL Franklin Registry would allow people of more modest means to assemble a quality set.

Actually, the FBL advantage in the Set stats makes that possible now. Why do you think FBL Franks got so expensive? Because of the Registry competition for them. If you start up a non-FBL Registry, watch those prices go up as well. Can you see a 50-D in 66 non-FBL going for $10K in a Heritage auction some day soon?

Actually, it's not a bad idea. I've got a few nice non-FBLs that I'd like to sell for $10K. image >>

Yep! That's it, let's get those juices flowing. I really don't think it would be that extreme, as I believe your kidding a little, but it would provide a good shot in the arm.