Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

East India 10 Cash - 1808

This is marked as a "salvaged coin". I can not remember where I got it.
imageimage
Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
"A work in progress"

Wayne
eBay registered name:
Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com

Comments

• 1jester1jester Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin! It looks familiar!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Does the coin have as much red as the pix show? That's real pretty anyway you look!!!
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • ccrdragon
    No not that much red. A little darker. The color is from my lightining problems with taking photos.
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
  • I thought you might recognise that 1jester.....image
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't tell you where YOU got it, but I can tell you where THEY got it (obviously from the Admiral Gardner shipwreck).

Speaking of shipwreck salvage, I just got a piece of Swedish plate money that came from the 1783 Nicobar wreck off the southern coast of Africa. It is a 2-daler piece struck in 1750, similar to the second one on this page, but not qute as nice (the one in the pic is way above average, and rare, as it is not sea-salvaged). Very cool- my biggest "coin" ever. Almost the same dimensions as the Krause catalog (but not as thick, of course). A little bigger than a US coin Redbook.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • That is a WHOOPER!!!!!!!!!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Yeah- definitely not something you wanna drop on your toe!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • image.nope!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Danglen saw mine and bought the other one. One dealer had two of them. Shipwreck coins are fascinating, in a tragic sorta way.

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw lordM's plate money. It is hugh. I'm waiting for him to get it slabbed.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • I would hate to have to carry enough of those with me to pay for a hamburger and fries.......image
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
  • Here's a synopsis of the Admiral Gardner cash coin's history:
    'On a cold, blustery January day in 1809, three ships of the English East India Company sailed from the Port of London bound for India. One was the Admiral Gardner, a massive three-decker constructed of oak and teak, carrying a valuable cargo of copper ingots and coins specially minted to pay company employees in Madras and Bengal. As the weather worsened, the Admiral Gardner and the Brittania were driven onto the notorious Goodwin Sands, where they sank in the English Channel. The wreck of the Admiral Gardner went undiscovered for nearly 180 years, until 1985, when lengthy and dangerous salvage operations succeeded in recovering its lost treasure.'

And another:
    'The 11-year-old Admiral Gardner was an East Indiaman, one of the proud, tall ships that made the regular and perilous journey between England and India during the 18th and 19th centuries. 145 feet in length, she was captained by William John Eastfield, a man who already made the journey many times in the past. He knew the hazards the trip had in store, and as he set sail from Deptford, on the River Thames, that day in 1809, he would already have been studying the latest charts.
    Part of his cargo consisted of coins to be used by the British East India Company. The majority on these coins were copper 10 cash that were struck at the Soho mint in Birmingham, England. The copper for these coins came from the Rose Copper Co. in Cornwall. They were selected because their copper deposits contained significant amounts of silver. Consequently, each of the cash coins contains some silver. The arms of the East India Co. are on the obverse, above the date. The reverse bears a mughul inscription and an "X" denoting the denomination of ten cash.
    As the ship left the safety of the River Thames and proceeded beyond the Straits of Dover, a very sudden storm developed that pushed the ship on to the Goodwin Sands. These sands were named for the eleventh century earl of Goodwin, whose now-submerged lands the sands once were. When the earl's son, King Harold II, was slain at the Battle of Hastings, the Norman conqueror confiscated his property and it is said that it was the earl himself whose curse caused the waters to slowly encroach over the land, a trap for unwary seaman for all eternity.
    Some seaman were rescued as the ship bore the thunderous waves but others, unfortunately, lost their lives.
    After a half century, all trace of the ship had been lost and she was just another entry in Lloyd's Register.
    Finally in 1985, with modern equipment, the wreck was discovered and some of its treasure, like the 10 cash coins we are offering, was recovered.'
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • hookedoncoinshookedoncoins Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I saw lordM's plate money. It is hugh. I'm waiting for him to get it slabbed. >>

I can just see the expression on PCGS/NGC/ANAC's face if you sent that in.

image.
  • laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Yes, that coin is huge, definately a huge coin.image

Mais, mais, ou est le trou?image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    I'll show you mine- ex LordM, ex Ajaan. AU details, corroded, net VF30-definitely from the bottom of the sea.

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
    I submitted that one to ANACS. Wayne's sure does look nicer, but the LordM/ajaan/laurentyvan coin has character.

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>but the LordM/ajaan/laurentyvan coin has character. >>

To say nothing about the majestic pedigree.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
    The REALLY majestic ones are what Michael and I call the "incestuous" coins, that have been through four (or even five!) forum members' hands, like an "Aethelred/LordM/ajaan/spinaker2000/mongoose" coin. There are a few that have gone back and forth, too, like "LordM/Aethelred/LordM/Ajaan/Aethelred", or whatever. image

• IS this the "bu" one from the gatewest auction?
  • Heres mine with certificate. image
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
    Now see, there's a great looking piece, and a nice certificate.

I remember when these were selling in excess of $50 each, before they flooded the market and the price took a steep nosedive.