Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Ron Guidry RC PSA 9 - $405???????

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2779466909&category=55925&sspagename=STRK:MEBDW:IT&rd=1

I've seen this card sell consistently in the $50 range. SMR is $70. How in the world did it get up over $400??? WOW.
"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."

Comments

• Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    homeboy that bought it buys alot of PSA 10s and he likes to throw down some $$.. look at his feedback.
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Its a very good card. The centering is exceptional. Never under estimate sentimental value.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    Last year.....
    I sold my sgc 96 for $55
    my BVG 9 for $75
    I am so jealous
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smudging is also a chronic problem on this card. Not sure if the other 9s that sold for less had the print smudge but that may be one reason. Also, mid to late 70s graded cards are very volatile. A '76 Madlock 8 sold for $5.50 with a pop of 3 8s and 1 9 and a Christiansen (sp?) 9 sold for $35 (another low pop card in 8 and 9 grades). Meanwhile a Sandy Alomar 9 was up to $400+ last time I looked.
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    Thats nothing compared to the 1976 Topps Alomar selling for $449.44

LINK
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>homeboy that bought it buys alot of PSA 10s and he likes to throw down some $$.. look at his feedback. >>

Yes, I noticed that as well. He seems to always be chasing the same 10's I am. Matter of fact, he just sniped a 1979 Schmidt PSA 10 for $280.00 (I had bid $260.00, SMR is $350.00).
  • Options
    PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
    Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

What do you guys think of the rough cut for that PSA 10? I really like the 1958 Cardinals Team PSA 10 they had up there...although the centering on the back wasnt too great.

Plus..the 1956 Mossi PSA 10 had to be the highest price ever paid for a really ugly guy on a baseball card.
  • Options
    I've noticed this buyer picking up a lot of cards at high end prices also. I know there have been a few common Angels cards where there were only two bids (mine and his). He paid a lot of money due to my high bidding. Funny thing is a few days or weeks later a similar card comes up and I'm the only bidder and get it very cheap. I love it when that happens. (I've been on the other side of the coin a few times also).
    Looking for Los Angeles/California/Anaheim Angels in PSA 8 or better
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What do you guys think of the rough cut for that PSA 10? >>

I think it's terrible. That card looks more like an 8 to me. The rough cut appears to have affected the corners.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    xbaggypantsxbaggypants Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭
    Man, I wish I had the kind of $$$ he is spending

Check out his auctions: $$$$$$$$$$$
  • Options
    Hopefully, the SMR will soon reflect this.
    i ain't often right
    but I've never been wrong
    it seldom turns out the way
    it does in the song
    once in a while
    you get shown the light
    in the strangest of places
    if you look at it right
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Damn, not only is he sniping, but he is driving up the price of almost every 10 on auction right now! I have actually bought from him as well ( a 9, probably one he couldn't wait to get rid of!).
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Has the 49 Bowman card been re-holdered? The serial # begins with 0 but there is no hologram on the back.
  • Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

How’s that card doing today ?

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

Probstein sold one for $363 late last year. That's the highest price in a long time.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2022 2:56PM

Let me know if it goes any higher…

…love this card - The Gator!

ETA: Replaced blurry photo with high res scan.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Accounting for inflation the card is significantly lower in FMV than it was in 2003. Anyone who paid $400+ in 2003 got severely hosed!

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tree fiddy.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

I mainly stick to 70s cards and Guidry is one of my all-time favorites. I have a couple 8s but had been waiting on a 9 to come up for a long time (I'd missed on last year). I got a 9 recently and probably overpaid. I didn't care because it was missing in my collection and wanted it more than almost any card in the 70s. It's not close to the most valuable card I have, but it is one of my all-time favorites.

I wouldn't have paid $400 in 2003, but would have now...

i really hope a 10 doesn't come up for auction any time soon. :#

• Options
    edited September 20, 2023 7:50PM

The 1976 card stagnated around $140-$150 for many years, that is when I picked up mine. My Mom used to tell me about watching him pitch in 1977 and especially 1978. I sure do miss her.

• Options

Meanwhile the Alomar 9 last sold for $81.99 and hit a low point of $8.52. Needless to say, the buyer who paid $450 for it in 2004 overpaid a tad.

• Options
    edited September 20, 2023 7:49PM

@gemint said:
    Meanwhile the Alomar 9 last sold for $81.99 and hit a low point of $8.52. Needless to say, the buyer who paid $450 for it in 2004 overpaid a tad.

grumble... I paid $70 for my 1976 Sandy Alomar in 2007 :( Still only 1 in PSA10. Very Tough card in 9 or higher due to centering but not quite 1976 George Brett tough.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

The '76 set may be my favorite of all time, but the centering on 76-79 are horrible. Getting decent cards with perfect centering is not easy.

• Options

I sold a PSA 9 1976 Alomar for $102.50 back in 2004.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BBBrkrr said:
    The '76 set may be my favorite of all time, but the centering on 76-79 are horrible. Getting decent cards with perfect centering is not easy.

So many ‘76 cards have a “taper cut” to them. The bottom appears centered, but then the right edge veers inward and the top edge is slightly narrower than the bottom edge.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

76's are so tough

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.