Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Tell me about this coin.

My uncle gave this coin to me about ten years ago. All I know is that it's a Peace Dollar. I don't know much else, but I was wondering what it could be worth, the grade, etc.

I scanned the coin so you could get a better look at it.

Comments

• Options
    Welcome to the boards, I know almost nothing about Peace Dollars, but I'm sure there's plenty here willing to share their VAST knowledge resources...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    AU-53 or so... It's worth about $ 15.... If it means more to you because your uncle gave it to you, I'd keep it......
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's probably worth under 20.00. Looks circulated, appears to be in the About Uncirculated (AU) grade.

Sentimental value? Priceless.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    Hi, jrf83 - Welcome!

I agree with the others... I wouldn't be interested in selling a coin that had sentimental value.

It's pretty!

Dan
  • Options
    Welcome jrf83,
    Peace dollars got me interested in collecting.
    Yours is a nice one but not a valuable one ( except for being a gift )
    The only real benefit to getting it graded would be that it would be
    protection from any possible damage in the future ; plus knowing
    exactly what you've got !
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    Nice pictures BTW
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Here's a Big Fat Welcome to ya!image

Nice Peace Dollar. Reminds me of my circulated 1902-O Morgan I recieved from my Grandfather that sparked my interest in collecting.image
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,422 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This coin was minted between 1921 and 1935 largely of silver recovered from
    the melting of Morgan dollars by order of the Pitman act. It was designed by
    Anthony DeFrancisci who reportedly used his wife as the model. The coin saw
    little circulation except in western states and was still available in circulation
    as late as 1963/64. It was quite unpopular though as a circulating coin which
    means most are fairly common in unc. Early strikes tend to be pretty poor so
    high grade examples can be hard to find. The series often comes with subdued
    luster and extremely attractive coins can be difficult. The '21 and '28 are better
    dates even in lower grades and there are several conditional rarities especially
    among the later years.

It was the last standard silver dollar minted for circulation.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,422 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum. Cladking has given you a very nice, comprehensive, accurate description of the Peace dollar series. Your 1922-P (PHL Mint) is one of the most common ones. I would save it, since it is a gift. You could assemble an entire set, with all dates and mintmarks for around $400-500, in average circulated condition, like the one you have here. It makes a very nice set. image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Welcome! Here is a link to some extra info:

Info
  • Options
    Welcome to the Forums jrf83!!! image
  • Options
    I think that the AU grade is a little generous for this coin. More like XF45. Her hair and the eagle's feathers seem just a little too worn for AU. Also, there appears to be a big gouge at 10:30 on the reverse, so some might consider it damaged.

I'd say that the value is primarily sentimental.

Welcome!
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    xf, but if your on good terms w/ your uncle, grade / $ value is irrelevant here. the coin's sentimental value far outweighs any "grade"

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file