Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Crossover Results to Ponder

I just crossed over some SCD Authentic cards to PSA and here's a summary if anyone cares enough to read to the end!

'60 Topps
Hobaugh SCD 9/PSA 9
Kaat SCD 8/PSA 8
Joe Gordon SCD 9/PSA 8
Charley Grimm SCD 9/PSA 9
Gene Greene SCD 9/PSA 9
Rival All Stars SCD 7/didn't match MG of 7..likely because of print marks.

'75 Topps
Aaron Hilites SCD 8.5/did not meet MG of 8 (sharp corners but likely missed because of heavy centering toward the bottom)
I also asked for 9-9 matches on a group of 23 '75 Topps commons and minor stars. About 1/2 did not cross..again I believe centering was the main culprit.

'61 Topps football
Jack Spikes SCD 9/PSA 8
Dave Smith, Mike Dukes, Denit Morris, Arch Matsos, Jim Colclough SCD 9/PSA 9
Al Dorow, Ken Rice, Mack Yoho, Mel Branch, Dave Rolle SCD 8.5/PSA 8
Paul McGuire SCD 9/PSA 8

'68 Topps baseball
Attempted to cross 38 SCD 9 commons to PSA 9's or better. Luckily, all but 4 crossed.

'68 Maris also crossed from SCD 8/PSA 8

I was generally pleased, but mildly disappointed that none of these apparently crossed higher--especially the '68s. No '68s crossed to 10's despite many having received subgrades of 10's by SCD. A little much to expect, maybe, but I can't believe PSA is ALWAYS as tough or tougher than the other guy. image There were also a few cards I didn't attempt to cross because I was quite confident that PSA would have hammered them for centering where SCD did not.

I've always thought PSA was exceptionally tough on '75 baseball and my results bear that out. They agree almost uniformly with SCD's grading of my '68s, but disagree quite a bit with the '75s. (If you're interested in a small group of nice SCD 9 Untouched cards, let me know--I'll sell at a very reasonable price!) Any 1/2 grades given by SCD went down rather than up which is, I believe, what many of you have found over time.

It was my first crossover attempt...and yes, some of these will make their way onto the auction block. I have to applaud PSA for getting these grades in the mail in 6 days on the 5-day service even though I forgot to write the submission level on the package.

Comments

• Options
    I am currious if any one has ever crossed over BCCG cards to PSA and to what succes they may have had?
  • Options
    Ripken,

how bad was the centering on the SCD 9 1975 topps commons that did not cross? I am curious because PSA standards allow for 65/35 centering (60/40 plus the 5% leeway) on cards graded PSA 10 if they have good eye appeal. Not to long ago there was a 1971 PSA 10 Clemente on ebay with 65/35 centering and I saw a 1971 PSA 10 Seaver at Sportsfest in June 2003 with 65/35 centering. Neither card looked good in a PSA 10 holder, and neither would have looked good in a PSA 9 holder.

Kosmo
  • Options
    Rip,

Thanks for the information.

I too have had good success crossing over SCD to PSA.

I have found PSA to be very tough on grading raw 75's, so I think that they would be a little tougher if you are looking for a minumum grade crossover.

Did you buy the cards from an auction ad that was in SCD last month, cause I saw some nice SCD cards listed on a two page spread and they were from a company that I never heard of.

I just sent a batch of GAI 8.5's and 9's into PSA for crossovers so I hope to do about half as good as you did.
    Buyer and Seller of PSA graded Baseball Cards from 1900-1980.

Check out my ebay auctions listed under seller ID: jeej
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Ripken - Thanks for the information. I also have done well with SCD crossovers. Did you crack any cards out before submitting or were they all using the crossover service?
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

All crossover results are skewed,
    because we only buy and submit the ones that we think WILL crossover ...

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    Wolf hit the nail on the head sending in cards to cross that you have pulled out everything you dont think will cross takes the true % and tosses it out the window.If you want a true idea buy a 200 card lot of sgc/bgs/scd ect dont even look them over just send them all in that will give you a real idea of what crosses % wise,well at least 1 graders idea HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!!! AND HE IS NO AVG JOEimage
  • Options
    PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Did you crack any cards out before submitting or were they all using the crossover service? >>

I would assume, since cards didn't meet minimum grade, he used the crossover service.

Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • Options
    RipkenRipken Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    Yes, I did use the crossover service. It was a little too time-consuming to crack that many and I was fairly confident that a good percentage would cross just based on eye appeal. I did crack some to submit as raw just to compare and those will be going in within a couple of weeks. I'm not sure what the centering was on the '75s was since they're on the way back from PSA.

• Options
    sjjs28sjjs28 Posts: 445 ✭✭✭✭
    Some additional crossover results to offer:

Used my 2003 free submissions (6) to review 4 recently graded cards which I had graded myself (all PSA 8's - trying for PSA 9's) and 2 SGC 96 crossovers for my 1967 Topps Set....

Obviously the cards were sent in the PSA/SGC holders for review/crossover....

I'll take this result anytime and twice on sundays.....

1 of 2 on the sgc 96s - to PSA 9's (a staub 1of 1)
    2 of 4 PSA 8's to PSA 9's ....

well worth the cost of return shipping.....image
    Steve Saldutti
    sjjs28@comcast.net
    Collector of 1964 Topps Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game and 1969 Topps Decals
    Registered Sets: 1964 Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game, 1969 Topps Decals
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Kosmo> "ow bad was the centering on the SCD 9 1975 topps commons that did not cross? I am curious because PSA standards allow for 65/35 centering (60/40 plus the 5% leeway) on cards graded PSA 10 if they have good eye appeal."

While that may technically be true, having completed a 75T set in all PSA8 or better and submitting a few hundred 75s my experience was that if centering is worse than 60/40 then I'd coming back in an 8 holder. Generally this has held true for the 72s and 73s I've submitted as well.

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.